Good Pre-Dominion War DS9 Novels

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Balok's Decoy, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

I'm going on a birding vacation to Arizona this weekend and I need some reading material for the plane (other than my field guide). I've been watching DS9 and was wondering what novels do you guys recommend? Specifically I want stuff that takes place prior to the Dominion War because I haven't gotten that far yet in the show. Right now I'm at the end of season 3 so something that takes place generally within that timeframe would be ideal. So no relaunch novels for me (yet).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

The first original novel, The Siege, is pretty awesome even though some bits are later contradicted by the show. One of Peter David's most imaginative.

Leto_II and Balok's Decoy like this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Surprisingly few and minor bits, though. Of all the debut tie-ins to the various Trek series, I think this is the one that feels most authentic and accurate in retrospect. The main groaner is that the Rio Grande, the indestructible runabout, is destroyed.

Leto_II and Balok's Decoy like this.
  4. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Fallen Heroes is a good early novel, with DS9 falling to an alien invasion. All the characters get their moment to shine.
    The 34th Rule is set during season 4 with Quark trying to sell an Orb and becoming an enemy of Bajor in the process. Those along with The Seige are the stand out early DS9 novels for me.

5. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I read through a bunch of early DS9 novels a couple years ago. I'd say The Siege (season one), Warchild (season one), Fallen Heroes (season two), Time's Enemy (season three), and The 34th Rule (season four) were all good reads.

6. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I'll also give a nod to Fallen Heroes. It was very good.

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Warchild (set between Seasons 1 & 2) is also a good book. Valhalla is also good and provides a follow-up to the "Pup" episode. The Long Night is a good early-season 3 book. And Wrath Of The Prophets is pretty good as well, and features the appearance of Ro Lauren on DS9 while still part of the Maquis.