Good Beind the Scenes Books Available Now?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Oct 13, 2017.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen some stuff on here about good behind the scenes books, like the DS9 Companion, and a couple of old TOS books, but they are all older and out of print. So I was wondering if there are any that are still in print and easy to find. I prefer e-books, but I'd be willing to go the paper route if that's all that's available.

2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Really the best stuff is the older books, like The Making Of Star Trek Deep Space Nine by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens and the DS9 Companion, if only because the book was written and published during the show, or very shortly after, and the authors had access to the production, and could see what was going on on an everyday basis. It wasn't like now where, even if they interviewed people, the information would be based on old memories, or the older books in order to get a sense of what went on during the series.

Now then back around 2000/01, there was an ebook released on the Making of Trials and Tribble-ations that has never been reprinted in paperback or Hardcover.

Leto_II and DS9forever like this.
  3. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

The Magic of Tribbles. It may still be available.

DS9forever likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've seen that one, but I wasn't sure if it was any good.

5. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

A bit technical on SFX work but the best book about the episode. It has behind-the-scenes photos as well.

I think it was the reason I started buying eBooks.

6. tomswift2002

I just remembered this morning while looking through my bookshelf that both the hardcover and paperback novelizations of “Star Trek Generations” contain a behind the scenes novella of the film.

And it seems to me that there were other novelizations that contained behind the scenes novellas.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a book Called Star Trek Action that talks about filming episodes of Tng and Ds9 and Voyager.It goes behind the scenes of the different shows and if you're a fan of the different trek series series you might be interested in it. It also has stuff about the Tng movies too.

DS9forever likes this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen that one, but it's doesn't appear to be in print anymore and it's not available as an e-book.

10. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

DrCorby likes this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm thinking about going that route for the DS9 Companion, but I usually try to stick to stuff I can buy new directly from Amazon as much as possible.

JoeP likes this.
  12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Ds9 companion is a fantastic book if you can get a used copy of it you'll really like all the in depth details of the seven seasons of the tv series.

DS9forever likes this.
  13. tomswift2002

The Star Trek Scriptbooks are also interesting, as they contain the first draft scripts for all the Q episodes (except Q2 from Voyagers Season 7, as that episode had not been written at the time of the books publication), as well as several scripts from the fourth season of Voyager featuring Seven's introduction. And the Star Trek The Next Generation & Deep Space Nine Companion CD-Rom's from Simon & Schuster Interactive also have all the first draft scripts for all the episodes from both series.

14. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Pretty sure those have final (or very close to final) drafts of the scripts. I can’t check, because they won’t run on my current Windows machine. **SIGH!**

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are those the same scripts they have on TrekCore?

16. tomswift2002

From what I can tell, using Encounter At Farpoint the script on the CD is the same as the script in the Script Book.