Going to an Irish Pub This Weekend...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Peacemaker, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

And it's been so many years since I've drunk alcohol (seriously, like 9 years), I have no clue what to drink. I'm also the driver, but I'd like to have a drink. Since I'm driving - no liquor.

So, can any of you drunken Irishmen and women from the drinking threads around here help me out here? Here's what's coming from the bar. I've not done beer for so long, I'm a little lost. I used to be a liquor sort of guy (well, until I discovered drugs, but that's a long time since past). On the other hand, I don't want to chicken out and get a bottled beer that I could get anywhere. Oh, and this is date, so, yeah, it matters, okay.

The food is pretty standard, so I'm not concerned about that. This is a new place (at least to me) in Durham, NC. (And before the Britons complain - yes, it's a real Irish pub, staff, owner and all, k - I do know that. This guy's not a wannabe.)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

Don't get the McEwans. It's McEwans export, and not the real McEwans. Murphy's Amber is nice; light, red, and crisp. I'd also consider an Irish coffee, made with a shot of Bailey's and Black Bush or Tullemore Dew Irish Whiskey.

Is that the JJ here in the Atlanta area? If so, it's a great place.

John

3. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

P.S.

I am told that the French Broad is good, too. I have never tried it.

4. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't go wrong with:

Guinness: It's the thin, foamy Canadian import... but still very good, refreshing stout. If they have Guinness Extra or Foreign Stout in a bottle, get that instead.

Bass Ale: Standard pub ale. Good, very crisp (some would say bitter), fresh taste. One of my favorite regular drinking beers.

Sierra Nevada: You really can't go wrong here. It's a fantastic hoppy IPA, hints of grapefruit in the finish.

Harp: Largely unremarkable lighter beer, but refreshing. Light malts, light floral hops. Good texture and mouthfeel.

Newcastle: One of my very favorite smooth brown ales. Brown Ales, by definition, are rather malty and this finds the perfect valance. Like Velvet.

Red Oak: This is the lager, right? This is a sweeter malty beer, if I remember correctly. It's been awhile.

French Broad Scotch Ale: I'd suggest this, but since you're a bit "out of practice," it could be a little robust for you. Carmels, dark fruits, malty, smooth, delicious.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Avoid the bottled beer and go for beers on tap. If you want a beer that's good, but not too strong of a flavor, you could always try Yuengling. It has a slight malty flavor, but it's a fairly clean taste and it's not too bitter.

A couple other ones are good there, depending on if you like beer with lots of hops. For some reason, the one time I had New Castle Brown Ale, I absolutely hated it, but your experience may differ (I know a lot of people love it).

6. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most Irish Stouts are pretty tasty.

7. Captain Intrepid

Captain Intrepid Vice Admiral Admiral

The name is kind of horrible, but the Irish Car Bomb is a delicious drink. It's a partial pint of guiness that you drop a shot glass that's half irish cream liqueur and half irish whiskey and drink down in a single gulp. :techman:

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Don't get a car bomb at a pub, it's gotta be ridiculously expensive (plus, if you haven't drank anything in awhile, you might not be used to chugging it in two seconds).

9. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

The only one of those on draught I'm familiar with is Sam Adams, which is quite delicious.

10. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Samuel Adams is a very nice beer, and a classic "American" beer.

11. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It totally changed what I thought of American beers, I have to say. Great flavour.

12. Krieg1981

Krieg1981 Commodore Commodore

Don't get a Black and Tan.

13. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Durham, NC. I'm in NC until the spring - then back to Atlanta off and on as usual for the warmer months. Fall/Winter is my hibernation period - but a good date call pull me out. Uh, that didn't come out quite right in that last sentence, but I'll leave it. ;)

Good advice. I'm transmitting this to note, along with Jadzia's.

El-Tako name, love it! May not try this tho, because I have to drive afterwards. Of course, it's an Irish environs, so drunk driving is the norm, right. :shifty: What!?

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

:lol:

Correct.