Glee - Sectionals (Fall Finale)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by tomalak301, Dec 10, 2009.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn you Fox for giving a very heart-warming and emotional episode of Glee and then saying it's not coming back until April. :(

This episode is why I've fallen in love with this show. When I started, I was thinking this show isn't my demographic, I wouldn't want to tell my friends I love this show, and maybe it's going to become a guilty pleasure. Well, 13 episodes in and it's no longer a guilty pleasure. It's the most must see show I have in the season.

I think the only thing I really have against this show is it's somewhat predictable. However, I looked past it in the pilot and I'm looking past it now. This episode really brought the entire season together, for me at least, and during the music numbers at Sectionals, I kinda got a little emotional, especially with Sheu overhearing and just being full of, well, Glee. Great finale, but damn I'm going to miss it.

2. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was suitably spectacular. I'd hardly call it a guilty pleasure though. 24? Yes. Glee? No.

3. tomalak301

No, I'm saying it was a guilty pleasure. Not anymore.

4. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great episode...had a season finale quality to it, which I guess it would have been had Fox not ordered more episodes. I missed about 1/4 of the ep due to the high winds messing with my satellite dish, but still...good emotional payoff for the major storylines of the season...sectionals, Finn/Quinn/Puck, Sue getting a (temporary) comeuppance, Will/Emma...

I just hope that the extended break doesn't kill any momentum that the series has at this time...I've heard that the producers are going to be more "edgy" with the back nine episodes, but I hope that they don't take the extra time they have to try to screw around too much with the premise. We've all got the idea now...let's take the universe and the characters and expand on them from this point...

5. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably my favorite exchange of the night

Santana: Sex isn't dating
    Brittany: If it was Santana and I would be dating

:p

BTW, every Cheerio on that show looks 100x better with their hair down then instead of pulling back in that stupid Cheerleader style.

Anyway Glee club winning wasn't much of a surprise, I mean we knew it wasn't going to be disbanded half-way through the season. I was surprised at how quick Will/Emma happened though.

6. ParticleMan

Ah, but one kiss in a time of emotional distress does not make a relationship...I've heard that they are potentially casting Idina Menzel (the original Elphaba from Wicked) as the sponsor of a rival club and potential love interest for Will...originally they wanted her as Rachel's mother, but I think they preferred her as a love interest without the entanglement the other connection would have caused...

So if that's the case, Will/Emma isn't a done deal yet...

7. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved last night's episode. Absolutely pitch-perfect performances from the entire cast. Both Rachel and Mercedes' solos were great and as much as I really can't stand the song, "My Life Would Suck Without You" brought a bit of a tear to this guy's eye. And "You Can't Always Get What You Want?" Awesome.

I was thinking last night after the episode about how far these characters have come in such a short time. Rachel is still the diva that she was from the pilot, but she has grown to a point where she realizes that Mercedes was going to own that performance. And the same for Mercedes later on. Finn, who didn't even want to be in the Glee Club in the first place has grown to the point where he put aside all of his personal issues to be there for his team and is now a leader. Quinn, while not completely redeemed for what she did to Finn, has become a sympathetic character, not the bitchy little cheerleader we saw 13 episodes ago.

I rewatched the last bit of the episode this morning, just because I read they referenced some of the past songs in the last number and they do and its great. The other thing I noticed was that Will/Emma is definitely not a done deal yet (and thank God for that because I have huge issues with that right now). At the end, they kiss, the song ends, she has a smile, takes a huge sigh and the smile quickly shifts to her looking like she has something serious to say just as it cuts to black.

I don't think we're even close to being done with Terri yet and I think that's a good thing. I just hope that in the back nine, they actually add some real depth to her character and take away some of the ridiculousness.

The episode seemed so densely packed with stuff too. I was watching with my girlfriend, roommate and another friend and I was sure we were to the 45 minute mark and we were only 30 minutes in. And yes, I am pissed at Fox for making us have to wait 4 months before new episodes, but that seems to be the way TV is working these days. I will, however, survive with Lost coming back in a few months here.

I have a real love-hate relationship with this series. There are moments that I just want to stand up and cheer for these characters, but there are just as many moments that I want to throw things at the screen. I have to say, if they keep going with episodes like this, there will be a lot less wanting to destroy my new LCD TV.

8. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm done with the character of Terri and even if Will/Emma doesn't happen I don't want the character on the show anymore ;) I keep fearing that they'll have Terri suddenly reveal she became pregnant while faking the pregnancy, except she wouldn't let Will anywhere near her so hopefully that's not a possible plotline.

9. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watched it, loved it, watched it again, loved it more.

Glee is no guilty pleasure of mine, but one that my wife and I have enjoyed every episode since the beginning. We're both stage entertainers, and it brought us back to high school AND forward to our current work by going through a lot of the drama and politics that exists in any performance group - except we're not part of it this time. :) The music IMO is more painful to trained ears, but it's really flying with the general audiences who have always loved covers. I only worry for the kids who'll flock to their real life choirs at high schools, only to be turned off when they discover just how tough it really is.

I was uncomfortable with the teen pregnancy storyline at first, mostly because it's not something I could easily relate to. But I think they've explored it in a good way, if a glossy way for network TV. I really like Schue's story too, and he really sold everything well except being so thick as to not clue in right away. Sue's pure evil character has been one of the better highlights - all she's been missing this whole time was a long moustache to twirl.

This is a great wrap to a 13-episode run, and I'm looking forward to the regional competition storyline, and the second year after that where they either fight to keep the title or fight to get it when they don't win at the end of this season. Assuming they get to a third year, they will almost certainly have to replace some or all of the kids, but that could be a good thing too.

"Gleek", indeed...

Mark

10. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Will/Emma kiss bothered me, though. Just five minutes ago, Emma strongly (for her) reminded Will that he just left his wife. That scene relieved me, and made me respect Emma...but then they kiss? ughhh..we'll see if there is any fall out.

That kind of inconsistency reminded me of when Artie & Tina (the Asian girl) had their moment, and Artie felt betrayed by Tina's fake speech impediment (which i never noticed). Then at the end of the episode they're looking & singing at each other like nothing happened. (And no aftermath later on).

The show's been fun so far, and i hope they elaborate on the minor characters (like they did with Puck & Artie) in the next 9. I hope Mike Chang doesn't become the ongoing joke of "the other Asian". They touched on his dancing skills (which he has in real life), so i hope they do somethign with that.

Jane Lynch's Sue Sylvester: she must get nominated for an Emmy. My wife died laughing at all of Sue's lines...i also find it interesting that she's in some commercials..not named as Sue, but looks & sounds the part. i assume she has some permission to do that?

11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Jane Lynch has permission to look like Jane Lynch - and act like her, since she does the same kinds of characters all the time (and expertly so!). Googling up her "normal" dress sense indicates it's really not too far from Glee - dare I say, a stereotypical mature lesbian wardrobe. However, I'm sure there is some unspoken tie-in that the Glee producers would happily allow to cross-promote the show.

As for Will and Emma, I don't see anything wrong with it. They both knew that they didn't want to catch each other on the rebound, but then at the very last moment they both realized that for each other it wouldn't just be that. She took the high ground, but we know from 13 episode of instantly dropping everything to help Will, that that she wouldn't be able to hold to that.

Mark

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

This show is on Fox, if it was canceled that would be the series finale, so they needed that.

I'm curious to the next 9 episodes, which I think the wait is stupidly long, will they be going to regionals in season finale or nations? I wonder if each season (if it gets a second season) will be a school year or not. I'm going with not like Greek does, just do what you want when you want it. :lol:

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they resolved all the ongoing story lines so they can move forward without the baby drama. Great episode!

14. tomalak301

I don't think I'm fully over the awesomeness of the Glee Fall Finale but some more thoughts:

1) I've had two songs from last night stuck in my head all day: My Life Would Suck Without You and You Can't Get What you Want. Heck, I've been watching those two scenes and get emotional each time, which is like 6 times by now

2) I loved the ending with Will and Emma together. The kiss doesn't mean necessarily a relationship, but it probably means she's staying, since she was pretty much out the door.

3) I got really emotional during sectionals with Will overhearing the performences. Yeah this show can be predictable, but what it loses in predictability, it gains in heart, and I think that is much more important. This is a show I can see and feel good about. I already can't wait till April. :(

4) I think I know how I'm using my Itunes gift cards this christmas. Would love the two soundtracks to the show (So far)

15. Campe

I had kind of a sad thought last night when I rewatched. Quinn's baby should be due at the end of the season. Thinking about something I read about Ryan Murphy and the fact that he can apparently be a little heartless when it comes to killing characters, what if there are complications? I love Quinn as a character (and Dianna Agron is hot, despite the fact she's not that great of a vocalist) and I'd hate to see her go, but think about what that would do to the club? Think about how it would affect both Finn and Puck. And Rachel. And Willl. And maybe even Sue.

16. ParticleMan

My wife is a hardcore Gleek and frequents fan sites and the like...she says that the timeline is really kinda screwed up...the timing of Quinn's pregnancy, Terri's make-believe pregnancy, stuff like coats indicating cold weather vs warm weather, when exactly football season runs...all out of whack.

Granted, it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the show, but I don't know that the creators have been too concerned with timeline consistency thus far...

17. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the show took place in Chicago, the weather thing is easily explained...it's Chicago. This week we had single digit highs, a 30 degree drop from just a week ago. another year we had a 60 degree Sunday in February, in between some snowstorms.

For the timing...what's the guesses? If she & Finn were in a hot tub, it could be as early as June, right? (The math would have to be close enough for him to believe it, and hear form the doctors).

They haven't mentioned any holidays (like Thanksgiving or Halloween), so maybe we're just at the beginning of fall?

18. ParticleMan

That would actually make sense...Quinn gets pregnant during the summer...finds out as school begins...which is when football starts and goes through fall...funky midwest weather means cold one day and hot the next...Shue gets the idea to take over Glee early in the new school year...sectionals are mid-fall, with regionals in late winter/early spring and nationals at the tail end of the year...

They could potentially drag out the school year into next season if they wanted to save nationals. I don't see how they end up doing both sectionals AND nationals in only 9 episodes...I bet season 1 will end with sectionals/Quinn's baby. If she got pregnant in, say, July, then you'd have a baby due sometime in March...

Maybe the run to nationals will take all of season 2?

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not worried. We know nothing about these characters besides the stereotypes, we don't even know what grades they are in, so frankly they can do whatever they want. :lol: I just find it strange that such a fun show has no clue what they are doing. How many times did they change the sectionals songs?

I don't get why we have to wait until April for the show to return, it should return in March after American Idol stops completely screwing the network up.

20. Campe