Spoilers Glass review thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jul 21, 2018.

?

How do you rate Glass?

1. A+

6.3%
  2. A

18.8%
  3. A-

25.0%
  4. B+

12.5%
  5. B

6.3%
  6. B-

18.8%
  7. C+

12.5%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

After being completely blown away by Split (twist and all), I have faith that M. Night Shyamalan is able to make great films again. This trailer looks like it'll be just as great as its two predecessors.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Most of my identities can't wait to see this.

Spot261 and The Nth Doctor like this.
  3. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

The Visit and Split were definitely the beginning of a Shyamalanaissance. This looks good too. Willis looks more engaged than he has onscreen in years.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This looks pretty cool. I might have to check out Split, since I never saw it in theaters. I heard people talking about how great Split was when it came out, but at the time I wasn't really happy about it since I thought it was another story about an evil mentally ill person, and that kind of stuff annoys me. Mental illness already gets a lot of negativity, and I try not to support anything that encourages a view of mental illness as something that makes people evil.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I had zero interest in Split until I found out about the Unbreakable connection, too. Part of me wishes I hadn't found out about the twist before I saw it, but I probably never would have watched it if I hadn't, so... :shrug:

Jax and Saul like this.
  6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I need to watch Split and I think a re-watch of Unbreakable will be needed too.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's pretty much exactly my own experience as well.

I'm glad to finally see David Dunn's story continuing, but I'm wary about the setup of them all being in an institution with a doctor trying to convince them they're not superpowered. We already got through the "Are powers real?" debate in Unbreakable, and in a different way in Split (which also had a psychoanalysis element), so it feels like a rehash. We know it's all real, so I'd rather just see the hero and the villains get on with their conflict rather than have to watch them try to convince some character who isn't yet up to speed on what we already know. Although I guess it could just be a recap device to re-establish the basics of the premise for new viewers. Hopefully it won't take up too much of the story.

8. The Nth Doctor

An understandable worry but I (as someone who has an autistic brother) felt that the film presented dissociative identity disorder in a positive light while telling an obviously fictional story and didn't suggest that mental illness is evil in any way, only that The Horde is evil.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Grendelsbayne likes this.
  9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

New trailer.

CorporalCaptain and Jedi_Master like this.
  10. Christopher

I liked that trailer much better than the first one. Finally, we get to see David Dunn in action against a supervillain! I've been waiting ages for that. This trailer had me pretty thrilled by the end. It’s also great to hear the Unbreakable theme music again, although they didn’t use the part I like best.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great trailer, I definitely need to watch Split and rewatch Unbreakable.

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

This really looks fantastic. I love the line "They always underestimate the Mastermind"

13. The Nth Doctor

Coming from Elijah's mom, no less. :D

Another great trailer. I'm really looking forward to this story finally reach its conclusion.

Jedi_Master and CorporalCaptain like this.
  14. Christopher

Are we sure it'd be the conclusion? It might just be opening things up for a new chapter. Although I guess the prospects of continuing David Dunn's story are somewhat more constrained with a Bruce Willis in his 60s than they would've been in his late 40s.

I was always disappointed that there wasn't an Unbreakable TV series picking up the story that the movie set up. Babylon 5's Jerry Doyle would've been an obvious choice for the lead, since he resembled Willis (and apparently was once considered to replace him as a lead on Moonlighting).

15. The Nth Doctor

I don't think Shyamalan has outright stated that this is the end, but he has stated in the past that he wanted to do a trilogy. Obviously plans change and Split wasn't the original intention for the second entry, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck to the trilogy idea.

16. Christopher

Isn't it more likely that, rather than just a set of three films about any superpowered characters, his plan was specifically for a David Dunn and/or Mr. Glass trilogy? Which would suggest that Glass may be only the second installment in the story he had planned, and that he used the separate story of Split and its ending scene as a way to kickstart the stalled trilogy (albeit folding the Beast into the Dunn/Glass story). So it's two "first" films merging into a combined second film, rather than a succession of three films telling a single story.

17. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

Split was actually his original plan for the back half of Unbreakable. He was going to introduce The Horde rather than have that normie serial killer. In the end he felt it was just too much for one movie. I'm not sure how this fits in with his trilogy plans.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "normie serial killer" was actually pretty damn strong himself, able to toss David around like a rag doll. But it's nice to see that that guy is evidently not the actual "soldier villain," like the one shown fighting the hero on the cover of "Active Comics," but that it really is something like a half-man, half-animal.

The Nth Doctor and OCD Geek like this.
  19. The Nth Doctor

One last trailer:

CorporalCaptain and Booji like this.
  20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral