GIS certificate/degree- worth it?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Finn, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

HI.

I'm considering looking to getting a GIS certificate or degree. I have science and education degrees, licensed to teach life science as well as deaf and hard of hearing kids, and got a masters in deaf education. Now, while my background is dominated by science-related stuff and deaf educational area, I like social studies, geography stuff, all that. I could spend a couple hours at a time analyzing maps and satellite photos, learning about things and places. I'd love to learn how to do programming and the technology behind that.

I've been trying to get into STEM stuff, doing robotics and some coding. So does anyone here have experience with GIS (or knows someone who is in that area) and can give some advice or info.

Thank you in advance.

2. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    I think that employers are looking less at degrees and more at practical experience. Granted, that stuff is harder to get through the filters that online submissions use.

Finn likes this.
  3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Hell, that's kinda true for education to some degree.

I'm going for it.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

In Birmingham, we got struck by an F-5 in April 8, 1998 not a week after planes did photography of all Jefferson County for our GIS. The whole of the damage track was then photographed with debris in place. This also happened with Moore in 1999’s OK city outbreak. The late Matt Biddle did some work on warning efficacy and Tim Marshal of Haag engineering did some work…but I am sure there is plenty of research to be done. Tornado outbreaks and the role of GIS might make for a great thesis. Tom Grazulis of The Tornado Project might be a good resource for you

5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral