"Ghostbusters" Theatrical Re-Release for Halloween 2011!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51192

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=964238995162

:techman::techman::techman::techman::techman:

WHO YA GONNA CALL?

GHOSTBUSTERS!!

No details yet on how wide this re-release is going to be, but I'm definitely taking my 5 year old nephew!

I actually got to see GB on the big screen back in 2007 -- my local theater had a copy for a weekend for some reason, and of course I went. But this'll be awesome to see, especially if upgraded HD-ish or what not, but especially to take the nephew to. :)

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Is it too much to hope for this to happen in Japan?

3. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I can't see this being a wide release, but I'll check it out if it comes here.

The one thing that I hate about home theater is how it's killed Re-releases. I'm able to catch a few special screenings every year. Watching E.T. and Cool Hand Luke last year with a large audience was a great experience.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Right now, it's UK-only, since the distributor is based in the UK. This is also the company that handled last year's Back to the Future re-release, however, and that landed at AMC theaters.

But as Sony hasn't come out with any announcement yet as to whether it will be a wide release, and a middleman is handling the distribution, it currently looks as though this will be more of an "Is this theater going to request the print to show it or not" kind of thing -- and it would likely be limited to areas in which it would do extremely well.

5. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are some independent theatres near me that run older movies all the time, even if it's just for one or two nights. Just in the last year I've seen 'Die Hard,' 'Robocop,' 'The Terminator,' 'Office Space,' 'Fight Club' and 'Jurassic Park' all on the big screen.

6. Timby

What's the size of your market, though?

There are a lot of independent theaters that show older movies on a regular basis, but since the cost to rent the prints are so obscenely high, they're usually just projecting the DVDs (or, more recently, Blu-ray Discs). An independent theater here in Madison, Wis., advertised a RoboCop / Ghostbusters double feature not too long ago, but after I talked to the owners and found they were only projecting a 720x480 DVD onto a big screen, I said "Thanks, but no thanks." :p

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Man, I would kill to see a real print of Robocop on screen again. They could release the same movie today, and it would probably look just as cool and BADASS as anything else out there right now.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I hope this comes to the US. My local theater shows some of the off stuff, like Ballet and Opera performances, so it wouldn't surprise if they did something like this too.

9. Brikar99

I'm just outside of Boston, so it's a pretty good market. And each of those screenings were advertised with 35mm prints. And they all looked pretty awesome, except for I saw 'Wrath of Khan' a couple months ago and it was pretty beat up in places. Maybe I'm just lucky to live in a good area, then, but I love these theatres.

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I would say this is the best news ever, but that happened last year when BTTF was rereleased on the big screen. This is the second best news ever. Can't wait :techman:

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Meanwhile... Ghostbusters 3 STILL isn't being made. ;)

12. Brikar99

Honestly, at this point I consider that a good thing.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I saw a 70mm print of the film last Halloween and had a blast. The visual effects haven't stood the test of time at all, though. It's a testament to how good the rest of the movie is that it's lasted.

14. Timby

Some hold up better than others. The neutron streams still look pretty great, as does basically everything in the climax. Even the Library Ghost looks pretty good, nowadays. Slimer, however, looks like utter ass. Really, it's more a testament to how so much was done practically, as opposed to other methods.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It's really only the stop motion used for the demon dogs that looks dated to me. The rest of the effects hold up really damn well, I think.

16. Frontier

Where did you hear it's UK only? That's "Jurassic Park" from what I've heard. It's the one UK-only. I've heard nothing about "Ghostbusters" being such.

Everything so far has been from the official GB facebook page and nothing there has made any mention of any other country.

http://www.movieviral.com/2011/09/14/ghostbusters-re-release-announced-through-facebook/

http://www.yidio.com/movie/ghostbus...sters-getting-another-theatrical-release-3740 is claiming...

Dunno where they got that from; the dozen other sites reporting this have the same basic announcement.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  17. weeooo

weeooo Cadet Newbie

I went to see the Big Lebowski at the theater downtown, probably the same one you're referring to as they're showing Ghostbusters on Halloween, and the experience was dreadful. I don't expect high quality for a movie I know frontwards and back, but people were loud, the sound was bad, the image was slightly smushed, seats uncomfortable, and the drinks were ridiculously overpriced for Madison. I left halfway through. You made the right choice by not going.

18. Frontier

So some news finally on this front...

Going to be about 500 theaters.

Going to only be 3 showings. Thursday nights Oct 13, 20, 27.

Joy. Crowded theater.

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Only in the US?

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Wow, that's reallly sad compared to The Lion King 3D. TLK was released in 2,330 theaters and will have at least a two week run. It is probably going to end up making over 100 million too.