Spoilers Star Trek: Picard General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Tuskin38, Sep 28, 2019.

1. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True. Also, isn't Del Arco just a sweetie - he knows his character is going to get killed off, but he still cares about ongoing storylines of the show.

It's also interesting she says the crew is not yet a family or unit... That is what I feel, too.

2. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Michael Chabon Explains the Season Finale's Big Moments
    https://www.ign.com/articles/picard-finale-michael-chabon-data-death-seven-raffi-star-trek

looks spoilerish at first sight, so I put it here.
    ETA: Heh. Laris & Zhaban:
    “I mean, we loved them,” laughs Chabon. “And it was really fun to write for them. And we expanded, particularly, Laris' role sort of on the fly as we were writing, because she was so awesome. But the degree to which those characters just so quickly became seemingly so beloved was a surprise. Definitely.”

So the question remains: Will they be fecking back in Season 2?

“We have no plans to ignore that enthusiasm,” Chabon responds. “Let me say that.”

cooleddie74, SolarisOne and antinoos like this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season 2: everyone dies.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Thadiun Okona returns to reveal a big secret that will affect both the Federation and the Romulans.

fireproof78 likes this.
  5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Everyone who was already dead dies, everyone who's newly dead is reborn.

Gonzo and fireproof78 like this.
  6. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Gonzo and Lord Garth like this.
  7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I have it on good word that in Discovery Season 3, everyone from Picard Season 2 will be dead.

8. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

Wait until Discovery finds what they believe is a 1000-year-old decrepit mummy which then starts complaining about Dr. Soong making them immortal without addressing telomere shortening.

9. SolarisOne

Unless Soji isn't going to be in Season Two, I don't see how that's possible.

10. Lord Garth

Hmmm. 3187 minus 2396 (when she was created)... It's too late at night / early in the morning to do math in my head... wait, no, I've got this...

... do you think Soji could still be around after 791 years?

11. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Soji and her people are 'biological synths'. Why wouldn't that also come with a natural age limit (just like the one Picard's been given)?

Also, even if it didn't come with an age limit, Data's age was unlimited, too, and he still survived less than a century. The galaxy is a dangerous place for adventuring souls.

12. SolarisOne

Absolutely.
    I know there's always been an "everyone dies well before they should have to" fetish in Trek, but...
    New bodies can now be made without too much trouble. Doesn't matter if you're OG biological or a Synth. Again, Trek doesn't like going there, but has still invented multiple ways to cheat death and just chooses to ignore them most of the time.

In sum, you're damned right I think the individual known as Soji Asha can definitely make it that long, and beyond.

He chose to die (both times).

Oh, and just so you know, I'm not backing down from this hypothesis, unless someone can convince me that all of the ways that Trek has invented to perpetuate individuals indefinitely are fake news (especially the one used to save Picard--remember, they had to intentionally make his new body mortal, which is why they made a point of saying so explicitly.)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  13. SolarisOne

I think the problem is that people don't understand just exactly what Soji and her kind represent. They either (wrongly) think her people are like Data on the inside or like Augments (I've seen both hypotheses in this forum over the past few weeks).

They're not just enhanced run-of-the-mill biology--they're new biology that mimics the functions of the old, but that incorporates the best parts of the artificial. They are, in effect, what the Borg have always claimed they wanted to be, far moreso than Data himself ever could have been--a perfect blending of the two.

Now, given that Trek loves to come up with game-changing stuff and then promptly forgets it, we probably won't see the effects creating such a new biological paradigm would have on a setting. But let's be clear. We're not in Kansas anymore, folks.

lawman likes this.
  14. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't really disgree with what you're saying here but it isn't actually a defence of your original claim. Specifically:

There's a huge difference between 'Soji could still be alive 800 years later' and 'Soji obviously should/must still be alive 800 years later'.

And yeah Data chose to die - in less than century because of his character. So why should Soji not eventually make the same choice between now and 800 years later? And that's without even pointing out the many times Data was nearly destroyed without any choice, the many other androids we've seen destroyed, the fates of Lore and B4 or the fact that Dahj demonstrably didn't last 4 years (and Saga and Jana presumably not much longer than that).

If the writers chose to have Soji still alive in dsc s3, there would be nothing unbelievable about that. But if they chose to have her long dead as Garth said there would be nothing unbelievable about that, either. 800 years is a long time and Soji is neither invulnerable nor necessarily exclusively motivated by her own interests and we don't even know if she would want immortality at all or whether she was actually designed to be immortal in the first place.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Lord Garth, SolarisOne and Llywela like this.
  15. Batai

Batai Lieutenant Red Shirt

If you watch Picard's closing arguments from "The Measure of a Man," it really gives you goosebumps when you realize that Picard was not only arguing for Data's rights, but also for his own in the future.

burningoil, antinoos, Gonzo and 4 others like this.
  16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Brent Spiner should appear in Discovery season 3 as yet another Soong.

Gonzo and Masiral like this.
  17. antinoos

antinoos Commander Red Shirt

Ohhhh crap, poor Guinan... rest in peace... I thought she'd have lived longer than her father :weep:

SJGardner and Lord Garth like this.
  18. Lord Garth

Well, either way, I can't wait to see what happens in 3187 or what happens next in 2399.

What's happening in 2020 is too wacky for my tastes.

19. Mirror Tuvix

Mirror Tuvix Commander Red Shirt

As far as Trek crossovers go, it's better than Star Trek-Transformers... I guess

[​IMG]

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]