Spoilers Star Trek: Picard General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Tuskin38, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Tombfyre

Tombfyre Commander Red Shirt

I'm going to bring my thoughts over here as they are more show specific than episode specific. I'm really trying to wrap my head around accepting the state of the Romulans in Picard. It just doesn't seem like its plausible given the power of the romulan empire. One would think the moment the star was dying htey would have moved their authoritarian government to another planet out of harms way in order to plan what happens. Ultimately if the evacuation of the capitol planet failed, the government would have been moved, and the billions or even being conservative 100s of millions of romulans on other developed worlds would be fine still.

The impression i get from the show so far is that the romulan empire has collapsed, into.... something or nothing? The throwaway lines about the supernova at the start just don't give enough information to understand whats happening. Makes whats happening with the characters of the show hard to swallow when the universe state itself isn't clear.

Just my thoughts on this (somewhat mentioned in my previous posts in the last episode thread but I don't think they belong over there).

2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite is:

ST: D is NOTHING but nostalgia <---- That's why the fans like it.... (only TOS characters in S1 - Harry Mudd appeared in 2 eps. of TOS; Sarek and Amanda - Both appeared in one episode of TOS -- and Spock occassionally name dropped. In S2 we get Pike (appeared in the TOS pilot and had a cameo in a secind episode); and Spock added. We don't really even SEE the 1701 until S2 and it doesn't look like it did in TOS - and the 1701 crew uniforms are different in major ways too...)

STP is REAL TREK -- Trek is BACK now....(TNG Fans: God I LOVED the 1701-D in the opening sequence and Data playing cards with Picard...oh, look ANOTHER DREAM FLASHBACK with Picard and Data in the original TNG uniforms -- and WOW a hologram of the 1701-D just like it looked in TNG...hey, they name dropped Geordi and Worf, and we saw Worf in a photo - plus all the ship models Picard has in storage...oh wow, 7 of 9 >swoon<...and coming up, Riker and Troi...squeee...)
    ^^^
    Yep, STP certainly ain't trading on any TNG nostalgia here...oh, wait...:guffaw:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  3. Tombfyre

Tombfyre Commander Red Shirt

I like this post.... its very true, these nostalgia inducing moments and cameos are clouding the rational thinking about how whats happening on screen makes sense in the context of the universe. I can't help but wonder whats even going on that put everything in this state. Its disappointing, because cameos do not make good stories, they distract from bad ones.

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

5. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

Well, I can only assume they are trained to only be able to follow a narrative that lasts, at the most, 90 minutes. And/Or, they are perplexed why a follow up to TNG staring Patrick Stewart isn't doing everything possible to appeal to their nostalgia.

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I would love to see something like this.

Danja likes this.
  7. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The weakness of Picard so far is the Soji/Narek/Rizzo storyline. Still not bad, but it is weak compared to Picard's arc.
    Romulan Free State.

8. Kzinti

Kzinti Captain Captain

agreed the ''borg ritual'' scene was so freaking cringe i mostly skipped it

SolarisOne and NCC-73515 like this.
  9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

But in Star Trek it can be multple things.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Besides, I'm pretty sure they stole it from Grey's Anatomy.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

As I was reading various comments about the "skating" the scene came up on my rewatch. I had atually forgotten about the scene until that "double whammy".

SolarisOne likes this.
  12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Tom Cruise knew of that Borg tradition in Risky Business?

Danja likes this.
  13. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, agreed.

SolarisOne likes this.
  14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Cruise is probably a Romulan agent
    [​IMG]

ITDUDE likes this.
  15. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    He's definitely the automated weapon of a larger collective that seeks to control us all. But enough about Scientology.

AlanC9, KennyB, BillJ and 3 others like this.
  16. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

The thinking on Twitter is that Janeway has his back (How do you think Seven of Nine knew where to find him?)

SJGardner, SolarisOne and Lord Garth like this.
  17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

The Star Trek Captains "Today"
    Picard: I haven't been living. I've been waiting to die.
    Janeway: I just spent seven seasons in prison on another show!
    Sisko: I was part God. I'm still part God. :angel:

18. hayesc0

hayesc0 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm not gonna lie I don't live it I don't think nutrek is for me the only nutrek I've liked was star trek 2009.

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It's debatabl
    [​IMG]

BillJ likes this.
  20. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Lost me at "thinking on Twitter:".............she found him because she is a leader in the Ranger's group that had been named dropped when they arrived in orbit. Nothing to do with Janeway. She was either ALREADY shadowing the old Bird of Prey of caught the radio chatter Raffi mentioned about PIcard beaming down. Since Rios stated the Rangers had stopped patrolling that area...........I would go with option 2, hearing that Picard was on the planet and not getting a warm reception.

SolarisOne, ITDUDE, urbandk and 2 others like this.