Spoilers General Disco Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Jul 6, 2018.

1. JLBTucker

JLBTucker Commander Red Shirt

So after being forced to get Paramount plus for star trek I watched the first season of DISC and LET ME TELL YOU I FIND IT ABSOULTY...ok. Its just ok not the second coming of The Sisko or anything but not as bad as people made it out to be most episodes were juts kind of ok

2. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

With the way most internet discussions go, things are either the greatest thing ever or a personal slap in the face to the fans, and how dare you like the bad thing. Sometimes it seems like there's no such thing as "just OK".

One of the reasons I keep coming back here is that the discussions here are a little more nuanced than that.

Commander Troi and JLBTucker like this.
  3. JLBTucker

Two episodes into season 2 and i like it much better Pike... is amazing... his own show is coming up? yes please

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  4. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's funny that the current season of Discovery I find is getting a lot of the "just ok" comments. Not sure if it's because of time or just the direction the show took or probably both

5. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

This season has been very good. Far better than “just okay.” Last season was “just okay” for me.

Lord Garth and shapeshifter like this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

32nd century is just ok.

7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season before last was, On your marks... last season was, Get ready... this season is, GO!

Commander Troi likes this.
  8. JLBTucker

Season 2 started off strong with Pike (still looking forward to strange new worlds) but then it just devolved into a boring version of the terminator by the end. its telling that my favorite episodes of this season were ones that didn't focus on Michael. I dont really find her as interesting as the creators want me too and while Ethan Peck plays spock good the recon that spock has a sister feels kind of pointless. Also i saw discovery going away from a mile away because the spore drive had to go somehow at least from this time because that tech is a universe/ concept killer. Also too many monologues that dont really add anything

9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup. I'm holding off on saying it outright until after the 13th episode... but I think -- as of right now -- the fourth season is my favorite season of Discovery. If that holds, then my ranking of New Trek's live-action seasons would be:

PIC S1
    DSC S4
    DSC S1
    DSC S2
    DSC S3

Not that I think S3 is bad at all. Obviously I don't. But it was 10 episodes of set-up followed by three episodes of rush. The set-up couldn't be helped since they had to introduce us to the 32nd Century and integrate Discovery.

I go back-and-forth on DSC Seasons 2 and 3 and where I put them. But the rest are firm in their places. Or, in DSC Season 4's case, at least as firm as something in-progress can be.

JoaquinSlowly and Commander Troi like this.
  10. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I’d probably rank the first three seasons of Disco in that order too, so I hope I similarly find S4 as impressive when I finally get around to seeing it.

11. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Paramount + is available in Oz via appletv

12. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I’ve chosen to hold out until SNW comes out as a little protest against Paramount pulling Disco from Netflix. I had to wait three years for previous series; a few months doesn’t bother me.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

14. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Commander Red Shirt

Do we know how many episodes are season 4 officially? Either Picard & Discovery are going to overlap for a few weeks or season 4 might only be 10 episodes? Season 5 will be 10 episodes apparently.

dinzy likes this.
  15. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's three weeks of overlap with Picard; so however many that is.

timtonruben359 and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  16. JoaquinSlowly

JoaquinSlowly Captain Captain

There are 13 episodes of Discovery this season (confirmed by a few sources, one of the authors in a since deleted tweet, the WGA listings for the writing credits for the season’s episodes, and most recently Wilson Cruz this weekend on Facebook).

So there are three weeks of overlap for Picard and Disco, and the premiere date of SNW is the same date as the Picard finale, so there’s a little overlap here and there, but they’re mostly keeping one show on at a time.

17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's better than what I was thinking. PIC Season 2 only got pushed back to the week after February. I thought it wouldn't premiere until April.

Commander Troi and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  18. Campe

I’m actually thrilled with the 10 episode order too for Disco. 13-15 can get to be a bit much in the midst of serialized storytelling. Sometimes they run out of story before they run out of episodes. I’d be okay with any number of episodes. As long as the story fit it.

19. SJGardner

SJGardner Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder how long until the usual suspects on youtube start spinning the 10-episode fifth season as a definite sign of TPTB slashing the budget in reaction to Discovery's viewership being in free fall, graciously giving the creators just enough money and episodes to wrap the story up before the show is cancelled.

20. Campe

I mean, I’d be shocked if there wasn’t a video out there already.