Game of Thrones comic book series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Nov 30, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is anyone reading this? I hope to check it out either in digital form, or possibly in TPB if it doesn't go digital, and I was just curious to see what people who've read it think of it.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I posted about it in the Game of Thrones general thread and no one replied so thanks for starting a thread. I've read the first two issues and love it! The third issue comes out tomorrow. Both the art and writing is fantastic. I believe that the hardcover for the first volume comes out sometime early next summer or late spring. It's a straight up adaptation and very faithful as one would imagine. As with the novels and television series the comic is not for children which I was pleasantly pleased to see. It's become among my favourite comics right now.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, I was wondering if they were going to be censoring it, glad to see they aren't.

4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

it's dynamite entertainment they rarely sensor anything.

5. Nerd unRage

Nerd unRage Commander Red Shirt

Are the comics just a rehasing of the books and series or are they original stories?

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It's just a rehash of the book, without any changes.

7. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would that just undermine the book series?

8. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

no, they ad to it. all so it should be added that they fill in the gaps all so after one book is done.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not anymore than the TV series does. It's just another adaptation, that's all.

10. Admiral_Young

As I mentioned in my first post the comics seem to be a straight up adaptation of the books and yeah I don't see how they would "undermine" the books, and Martin would have approval over this kind of media extension I would assume. The book so far is far better than the Wheel of Time adaptation which I've been disappointed with so far. The art is really worth picking them up for in my opinion. I was blown away by the detail and the character depictions. Different obviously from the television series but still somewhat how I pictured the characters from the book. I'll be picking up the first hardcover when it comes out next spring.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah, characters who were made more sympathetic in the TV version (Sandor, Theon, Cersei, Robert, Jaime, Viserys) are going to be the less-sympathetic/total jerks they were in the books in this comic adaptation.

On the plus side, stuff that the TV show changed (Drogo not raping Daenerys on their wedding night, Renly being a wimp) are restored for the comics.

12. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised they were able to do this - an adaptation that differs from the TV version - with the TV series still in play. I picked up the first issue and wasn't too impressed. But it strikes me as the type of thing that should be read whole, so I'll be waiting for the TPB version.

Alex

13. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Since when was Viserys even remotely sympathetic in the TV show?

14. Admiral_Young

Why is it surprising that a comic book adaptation be different from the television adaptation? They're just different means of getting interest in the books in the first place.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Sympathetic may be the wrong word, but he wasn't the one-note character he was in the first book.

16. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Well, only seen the series once so far, but I don't recall him having much to do there which wasn't also in the book (currently reading it; he just died).

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

That scene with him talking to Jorah about staying with the Horde to make sure Drogo keeps up his end of the bargain, that bit with him in the tub with Doreah, that bit with him and Jorah talking during Dany's "Eat the heart" ceremony and that whole "Who can rule without wealth or fear or love?" scene with Jorah.

Those were all inventions of the show, and combined with Harry Lloyds' superb acting, served to humanize Viserys more than the book did. He was still the unsympathetic lunatic, but not clearly the obstacle for Dany that he was in the book.

18. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

And since when was that a bad thing, to make him less of a one-note? (Not saying you mean this, but...)

People often seem to overlook that the books are written from the perspectives of unreliable narrators. Of course many characters will come off more one-note that way, compared to what an "objective view" of them might have been.

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I know, it's just that the TV show has gone with the more objective view rather than keep to the sole POVs storytelling in the books (not saying one is better than the other).

So it just comes down to personal taste, if you prefer the TV versions to the book/comic versions or vice-versa.

20. Nerd unRage

Nerd unRage Commander Red Shirt

I never felt that humanized Viserys at all. He's still portrayed as an unsympathetic jerk in both formats.