Game of Thrones Best Moments/Worst Villains etc - A Summary (Spoilers Possible)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FPAlpha, May 29, 2019.

1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Now that the watch has ended i was wondering what everyone's stand out moments were so here's a list that everyone can fill out for themselves and write a few words as to why.

Worst Villain
    Noblest/Most Heroic Character
    Biggest WTF moment (positive)
    Biggest WTF moment (negative)
    Biggest Hell Yeah! Moment
    Funniest Moment
    Saddest Moment
    Best Character Arc

Here i go:

Worst Villain

Ramsay Bolton - he's amongst my top three including Joffrey and Walder Frey but gets the top spot.

Joffrey was just a coward who was overcompensating and masking his cowardice and fear by acting out and abusing his power. One could pity him if he weren't such an evil bastard.

Frey is an opportunist of the highest order and is just the leader of a long line of GoT opportunists that includes Littlefinger and others. A villain, sure, who did horrible things for his own personal gain.

Bolton takes the top because he relished being the evil guy and wanted to be the evil guy, never hesitated to do what he did, had no checks or balances and up until the end didn't change a bit.

Jon Snow.. i know, i know.. he knows nothing, the quintessential Mary Sue, boring, stupid.. etc. However i still think he takes the top spot because he had the nobility and leadership of Ned Stark, the fighting skills of Syrio Forel, the looks of Jaime Lannister (or whatever passes for as a male model in Westeros) and the integrity that no one could match and some interpreted as being dumb by saying the wrong things at the worst moment even if they were true.

Hold the Door!/Hodor - to this date it is the single biggest WTF moment for me on the show. We all loved Hodor but to learn that Bran fried his brain when he was learning to use his powers and that Hodor lost his mind experiencing his own death crushed me at the time. One side note - i like watching reaction videos and it was awesome to see the exact moment in people's faces when they put two and two together and realized what Hodor stood for.

I honestly can't come up with one that really bothered me or threatened to ruin the show for me. Not even Dany torching King's Landing. While extreme her turn to madness was coming a long way and was shown gradually over the seasons.

Arya revealing herself after she killed all Frey's - another moment of the heroes getting back at the villains. Arya's character arc was plain awesome and turning from tomboy child into the ultimate Assassin was just beyond brilliance so her getting the revenge the Stark's deserved is my biggest Hell Yeah! Moment (especially the words she spoke when she crossed that name off her list :D )

Funniest Moment

I am always reminded of the scene when Tyrion gives some money to Podrick to enjoy himself in a brothel and he comes back grinning from ear to ear and with the money that they whores wouldn't take.. and the reaction of two of the biggest whoremongers in Westeros Tyrion and Bronn when they are taken aback and start interrogating him. :lol:

Saddest Moment

Once again Hodor.. that poor simple, yet lovable and loyal soul who sacrificed his life (and we learn also his mind) to save Bran.

Best Character Arc

Jaime Lannister.. starting off as the super asshole of the show and staying that way until he does the first noble thing and has to pay with his hand. Over the course of several seasons we see him change, influenced by good people who showed him what it means to have honor and mercy and by contrast seeing his sister not changing a bit (and we get a good goalpost to see how he has changed).
    It's a bit strange he still returned to her at the end but people don't act rationally when it comes to love and emotions.

So these are mine.. fire away!

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

My biggest WTF moment was when Jon and his merry band were trapped on that island surrounded by the attacking dead, and they sent a raven to ask Dani to help, and the raven arrived, and she and the dragons flew almost the entire south-to-north length of Westeros to arrive in the nick of time, and the whole thing took less than an hour. If ravens and dragons are really that fast, there's no reason Dani couldn't have conquered Westeros in the next episode.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Worst Villain: Euron Greyjob
    Noblest/Most Heroic Character: Jon Snow
    Biggest WTF moment (positive): Joffrey's death
    Biggest WTF moment (negative): The Red Wedding
    Biggest Hell Yeah! Moment: Daeny freeing the Unsullied
    Funniest Moment: Sam cleaning chamber pots. That scene was ridiculous
    Saddest moment: Hodor
    Best Character Arc: Sam

4. Naira

Naira Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Worst Villain
    Ramsey Bolton. Pretty much for the reasons you stated. Most characters in the show do bad things for personal gain, Ramsey was just plain evil and enjoyed it.

Hmm... not sure. Ned was as noble as it gets but I wouldn't say he was the most heroic. I guess Jon Snow is the one balancing these two virtues best. He has a great sense of duty and justice and tries to do both even if it is not the best for him personally.

Joffrey's death. Can't say I did not enjoy it.

The Red Wedding, I guess. I was not expecting the whole Robb Start story line to end that way. Also, WTF in a different way... remember those baby-jars Selyse Baratheon had in her castle? I mean... W-T-F???

I guess Littlefinger's final scene.

Funniest Moment
    Many, most of them involve Bronn.

Saddest Moment
    Hodor, probably. However, I never quite understood the whole time-paradox thing completely.

Best Character Arc
    I choose Arya. She came a long way, from tomboy to angry wannabe assassin to more reasoned ninja to traveler. She turned out great.

5. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Worst Villain: Ramsey Bolton, with honorable mention to Joffrey. Really 1 and 1A here. By worst, I am assuming favorite villain, most evil, etc. Not lamest.
    Noblest/Most Heroic Character: Jon Snow, with honorable mention to Ned and Rob Stark.
    Biggest WTF moment (positive): Arya killing the Night King. Came out of nowhere, but the more you think about it, the more it makes sense. Plus, based on how the show ended, and the reality that Arya didn't have a big moment after that, it was necessary.
    Biggest WTF moment (negative): The Red Wedding. Really hard to top that. You lost so many great characters there. The death of Oberyn Martell was hard to watch. He pulled a reverse Inigo Montoya.
    Biggest Hell Yeah! Moment: Arya making Walder Frey eat his sons before killing him. Eric Cartman woudl be proud.
    Funniest Moment: That's a tough call as nothing major comes to mind. But pretty much any time Tormund tried to get with Brienne was awesome.
    Saddest moment: I hated losing Margery Tyrell because I think Natalie Dormer is really hot, but got to go with Hodor's death.
    Best Character Arc: Arya was my favorite character. Seeing her journey was awesome. She always had what she became in her, so I wouldn't call it a transformation, but more like a progression. Never really thought of this before, but in some ways, she's a little like a female Batman. She had a traumatic parental loss, and dedicated her life to harnessing her physical abilities as well as mental abilities to the extent it served her purpose. While she wasn't rich of course and didn't have an issue killing, and her motivation was revenge rather than stopping evil, there are some similarities. It's not a perfect analogy, but of all the characters, she was the one I wanted to live the most, and it would have ruined the show if she died. I'd love to see more.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Worst Villain:

It’s hard to come up with a fair metric here. In terms of net lives lost, Dany arguably saved all lives in the world before her pyro spree. I think Jaffrey and Ramsay are equal. Both sadists and psychopaths. Both also had emotional drives for their behavior, Ramsay with his status as bastard and then fear of losing his heir status to a baby.

I might have to go with Dany, because she’s the only one who thought her evil acts were righteous.

Most heroic: Jon. He’s the only one who didn’t intend to personally gain from his noble acts,

WTF Positive: Sandor is alive!

WTF Negative: Ramsay rapes Sansa

Hell yeah!: “A dragon is not a slave. DRACARIS!”

Funniest: Tyrion confessing to his crimes at the Vale

Saddest: Kaitlyn begging for Robb’s life after the massacre

Best character arc: I might go with Dany

7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Who has a better story than Bran the Broken?"
    Well, Arya, Jon, Dani, Brienne, Jamie....

8. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

They were on that island long enough for the water around it to freeze solidly enough for the wights to cross it. As it had not been thick enough to take the wights’ weight when out heroes ran across it I imagine it would take a few days to freeze before it was thick enough for the wights to cross it.

9. Miss Chicken

Worst Villain - in the long run Daenerys because she killed so many needlessly and would have gone on killing more
    Noblest Character - Davos Seaworth
    Most heroic character - Jon with Jorah getting an honourable mention for still protecting Daenerys when was severely injured.

Biggest WTF moment (positive) - Arya killing the Night King.
    Biggest WTF moment (negative) - Ramsay feeding new born brother to the dogs
    Biggest Hell Yeah! Moment - Arya killing all the Freys
    Funniest Moment - I loved it when Tywin sent Joffrey to bed
    Saddest Moment - The burning of Shireen
    Best Character Arc - The Hound

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

The burping of Shireen? Heh.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

11. Miss Chicken

^^^ what a silly typo. I have corrected it.

12. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Worst Villain: Bran (he deliberately let thousands of people die just so that he could end up as King and give the Children of the Forest a posthumous victory over humanity)
    Noblest/Most Heroic Character: Brienne
    Biggest WTF moment (positive): Arya killing the Night King and becoming the "Princess who was promised"
    Biggest WTF moment (negative): Dany being transformed into a crazy villain without said turn being 'earned' by the writing
    Biggest Hell Yeah! Moment: Jaime knighting Brienne
    Funniest Moment: Drogon giving Jon and Dany side-eye when they started making out in front of a waterfall
    Saddest Moment: Dany breaking down over Jorah's body
    Best Character Arc: Arya

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Worst Villain
    Ramsay Bolton, hands down. Everything he did was cruel and sadistic and done for his own self-pleasure. He was so horrible, his own father, Roose "I planned and executed the Red Wedding" Bolton was unnerved. He had no honor, no ambition, just pure cruelty.

Brienne of Tarth. A lesser woman or man, would've broken before the end after things she went through. From loyalty to Renly until his sudden and terrifying death to loyalty to Catelyn until her sudden and terrifying death to undying and unflinching loyalty Sansa and Arya for the sake of Catelyn and Renly. She was mocked by lesser men and women of higher stature, men tried to rape her, she was nearly mauled by a bear, had her ear bitten off (in the books), defeated the Hound in near mortal combat (in the show), did everything she could for the sake of honor and the prediction of those she swore to protect. She did all of that knowing that it was nigh impossible that she would ever be treated with the proper courtesy she deserved, never thinking she would ever be knighted, her one and only selfish dream.

How can it be anything other than Hodor? There have been many shocking moments throughout the show, whether it was the Red Wedding or Daenerys' scorching of King's Landing or Ned's beheading or Joffrey's poisoning or Oberyn's head exploding or so many others. However, they all seemed even somewhat predictable as they played out before our eyes (or in our heads as we read them), but Hodor's was truly the what the fuck moment because there were so few people who could've even imagine that moment would happen.

Sansa's rape. It's the one truly terrible misstep of the series and one they kept fumbling in retrospect. It was handled and depicted in poor tasted and Sansa was regulated to an object for Ramsey's cruelty. The fact the writers continued to fumble the after effects of that moment shows that they didn't learn anything from the experience including the deserved backlash.

While Martin has his own issues in presenting delicate matters in the books, I hope that it's not something that even happens to Sansa, especially since her storyline is on a different trajectory when we last saw her and Ramsay married someone else. I can only hope Martin has at least paid attention to this much.

Arya's cold, sweet revenge against Walder Frey and his family. It was a long time coming.

A very close second is Tyrion's lengthy outburst during his trial. I'll never stop loving that moment as he told everyone in that room what he truly thought of them despite everything he had did for them.

Funniest Moment

Gods, how can I possibly pick one? And that's just everything with Bronn.

Saddest Moment

Hodor again. I can never say hold the door without bawling. :wah:

Best Character Arc

Arya. I was big fan of hers from the beginning, but I loved everything she experienced. From the rebellious tomboy to her on-the-run wanderings to her angry and strange and wonderful adventures with the Hound to her training as an assassin in the House of Black and White to her slow journey in rediscovering her humanity. Very few characters match her the incredible path she went on.