G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 27, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

7.1%
  2. A

7.1%
  3. A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. B+

14.3%
  5. B

14.3%
  6. B-

14.3%
  7. C+

7.1%
  8. C

14.3%
  9. C-

7.1%
  10. D+

7.1%
  11. D

7.1%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Well, it couldn't possibly be worse than the Rise of Cobra...

...unless they decided Roadblock is gay and in love with Snake Eyes. After Duke/Baroness I wouldn't put it past them.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Bad news - I hear the movie's being delayed 'til next year.

*ducks* :p

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

:lol:

5. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

April the 1st is next week. ;) :lol:

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed the first movie. Lot of fun. This one looks good to me!

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

B-

Saw it earlier tonight, in 3D.

It wasn't terrible, but wasn't really great, either. Just kinda there, and a bit better than the first one, if for no other reason than there weren't any big trainin' montages or Brendan Fraser muggin' for the cameras.

Though it seems that while the first movie established the Joes as an international organization, this one reduces it back to an American one.

And, as far as the 3D goes, the only sequence where that's effective was when Snake Eyes & Jinx took on the Cobra ninjas in the mountains. It wasn't really necessary for any other part of the movie.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Good. That automatically makes it better than the first one.

9. Agent Richard07

Saw it last night. I was one of seven people in the theatre.

The Bad

- The story was half-baked. There was a lot of jumping around between different plot threads making it seem like several movies in one and the characters were poorly developed.

The Good

- They tried to inject some new energy into this franchise and they succeeded to some degree. It really felt like a live-action G.I. Joe movie with all-american soldiers and villains in attire reminiscent of the action figures and vehicles that looked like they could be part of the toy line.

- Cobra Commander was there and they got him and his costume right. This was an issue when the first movie came out. Joseph Gordon-Levitt wasn't there, but they didn't need him since the character was wearing a helmet with a visor covering the face.

- They did away with the bad CGI we saw in the first film.

The Mixed

- Not having a number of the main characters from the first movie made this feel a bit disconnected from that first installment, but I liked seeing Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis head up this movie and it was good to see Jonathan Pryce return.

- There was a ninja fight sequence in the mountains that was pretty impressive. Unfortunately the execution of moments like that is what made it seem like this was several movies in one. A lot of the movie went back and forth between soldier stuff and ninja stuff in ways that made them seem unrelated.

- I was disappointed that Destro wasn't going to be part of the action, but he at least got some mention and a little screen time with a throwaway line that would explain why he wouldn't be along for the ride. Maybe he'll be back next time. He's a major character and shouldn't be left out.

The Ugly

- If including more scenes with Channing Tatum was the reason for the year-long delay, then they did all that for nothing. He was hardly there anyway and they didn't even rework the movie to let him live like I thought they were going to do. That's unless they accidentally showed the original cut of the movie. :p

The Verdict

A weak sequel that looked pretty decent as a G.I. Joe movie. C+

Looks like I actually graded this lower than the first movie, which got an "above average" from me. I'd say that a lot of that is due to the weak and scattered story, and too much of a character shake-up. As far as being true to the spirit of G.I. Joe, this one was a little better than the first.

10. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So they do kill Duke off, Agent?

11. Agent Richard07

12. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't say that i'm a big Tatum fan, but the character of Duke is iconic for G.I. Joe. I see they really wanted to just make Rock the new star of this.

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

You really think there's a chance he'll be back after what happens to him in this one?

Seriously?!

:confused:

14. Agent Richard07

I was doing a bit of reading earlier and it looks like Tatum wanted his character killed off. Here's one source.

That occurred to me after I posted. Looks like he's toast, but who knows...

He's too big a character to go out like that. The facility wasn't totally destroyed, it was just engulfed in flames after the cooler exploded. If they wanted to, they could say that he got free and used the elevator after Cobra Commander escaped.

15. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

They dropped the ball on the original by not having a cheesy public service announcement at the end of the movie.

16. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

No kiddin'!

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

The writer says the reshooting to expand Duke's role was a false rumor. Reshots are done all the time. Whatever the reasons, his screen time is still limited and he dies. Not clear what is different. Maybe his death is later in the film, but that would likely just be reediting.

18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

CinemaBlend gives the 3D retrofitting a retaliatory 14/35 score.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Franchise? New energy? It's just part 2 of a film done 4 years ago. :wtf: That quote above makes it sound like a lot more than it actually is. ;)

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

30% on RT. Another stinker.