Future Trek vs New Star Wars

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by mythme, Dec 3, 2014.

1. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Anyone else here think that all the new Star Wars hype not only makes the prospect of a new Trek series unlikey in the near future but also puts a damper on its anniversary as well?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why would it? They are two distinct franchises owned by different companies.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's funny, because the reason Trek got a movie in the first place (The Motion Picture) was due to the success of the first Star Wars movie.

In all honesty, with the resurgence of sci-fi movies, including harder sci-fi, and in the increasing popularity of Interstellar, Gravity, Star Wars Ep. 7, and Jupiter Rising, I think that Paramount will see a wave and want to ride it.

Might depend on how the next film does, but I can't see them sitting on it for too long with such a wave of science fiction in the box office. Not like they have to purchase the rights to anything, like Disney did.

4. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

For me, it wouldn't be a bad thing if there were no more NuTrek.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

^ NuTrek as in movie? To tell you the truth, if there wasn't a third movie set in the Abrams alternate universe I really wouldn't be disappointed at all. If there wasn't eventually a new series EVER something would actually be missing out of the rest of my life.

I liked most of the movies, but the series were just so much more enjoyable (even DS9).

When the next Star Wars is a roaring success (billion plus at the box office) this might motivate CBS to initiate a new Trek series, more so than a successful nuTrek movie would.

:)

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

7. BillJ

Gotta get back to that boring 24th century!

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Did the SW prequels stop Voyager and Enterprise from being produced? No. (Although in retrospect, it would have been good if they had.)

9. Bry_Sinclair

Not necessarily. Back to the Prime 23rd century, still plenty to be explored there, or the lost era between TUC and TNG, lots of story fodder to be taken advantage of, even a skip forward to the 25th century.

Trek is always best when its on the small screen, it allows for greater focus on characters and their development--if done right.

10. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

i doubt they would do another prequel. There were only 20 years left in the 24th century when Voyager came home. I suspect we would be on to the 25th.

11. T'Girl

Gotta get back to a situation where we get hundreds of episodes over the course of several years, instead of just a few 2 hour movies.

12. BillJ

No thanks. Lived through that once with Trek, won't do it again. A movie every few years is enough for me.

13. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Everybody wanted more Star Wars... then they got it... Epsoide I.

I have seem the trailer for the Star Wars. But the entire film isn't out yet though. I am holding judgement till I see the entire film.

The teaser is impressive though.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think a skip forward to the 25th century would be the best bet. First of all, it is about the spacing from the current year to the future that TOS was from the era it was filmed in and makes the future still feel like, well, the future.

Secondly, a series would allow more character moments to unfold at a slower pace than a film would allow, though I'm not complaining about the characters we got in nuTrek. But, I think we need a captain who is untested or inexperienced. One aspect of fiction that I have always enjoyed are the ones that take a young person's view of the world, and allow the audience's view grow with the main character(s). Some fun examples (off the top of my head) are Heinlein's Space Cadet, David Gerrold's Star Wolf, and even the original Star Wars, to some degree.

Here's my thing-Star Trek was fun for me as a kid, because it gave the "What if?" of my imagination some fuel. The what if's of technology, space travel, etc. So, make it fun again. Make it positive, and have a character look to space not as a place of war, or fear, or anything like that, but like a sailor looking to the horizon for adventure.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing is, the prime universe is broken. Transporters can beam anywhere by 2387, they had commbadge-sized transporters several years earlier in Nemesis... unless some catastrophe puts Trek back in it's own equivalent of the stone age, we'll just have muppets not using the stuff at their fingertips (which admittedly has already been an issue since TOS and TNG... but is now 100x worse)

Of course, they could run with it and make humans into technologically-assisted proto-Q's. Transporter pips (Nemesis) linked to mind chips (Endgame), beaming anywhere (ST'09) and curing ageing and illness each teleport (Unnatural Selection), and even add in drug-assisted telekinetic powers (Plato's Stepchildren). Time travel or universe hopping via manipulation of the transporter units (Past Tense, Broken Mirror) and hey presto! Post-human Godmode Trek. I'd watch a show about the first generation adjusting to a new way of life.

16. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    You do realise that this means no more Trek, right ?

Yes, being restricted by future events is always such a great idea.

Yes, absolutely. Take advantage of some of that STO stuff, too.

17. Bry_Sinclair

NuTrek is broken too. They can beam across the quadrant, a handheld communicator can transmit across multiple sectors, warp drive gets you from Earth to Vulcan in around a minute, shields are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, death has been cured, and the temporal event in the 2230s has somehow rippled back through time and changed events from before it ever happened.

If they decided to make more Trek then they should just wipe the slate clean and do a proper reboot.

Then I’d be happy with the proper Trek we got and can forget about the twaddle coming out from the cinema in recent years. Besides, there are a lot of fanfilms doing some pretty great story-telling (I am more interested and enthused about Axanar than NuTrek 3).

See response to the other post above to avoid this.

18. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But without Voyager, the sexy looking Nova and Prometheus class might've never been made, and the Enterprise-E might've looked significantly different (if she was invented at all).

And not only did Enterprise have it's moments, but I felt that Scott Bakula made an excellent Trek captain, and the series was starting to hit it's stride when it was cancelled!

So you'll have to forgive me when I say: I resent that statement!

19. T'Girl

Restricted how?

Admittedly TPTB won't be able to do the tiresome destruction of the Earth/Federation/galaxy storylines anymore, but would it be so bad if that were to be permanently retired?

What other restrictions would there be? If the new series were to set exactly in the same time period as TOS, the new hero crew will simply be another section of the Federation. Better still would be to place them a few decades before (or after) TOS.

20. BillJ

I like the Nova-class, but I'm still not seeing a downside here. Seems to me to fall under 'Addition by subtraction'.