"Fury" Kes, a Mirror Kes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by USS Fardell, Dec 12, 2008.

1. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is the 'Fury' Kes a Mirror Kes?

Is this likely?

Does this solve the personality issues?

Does this bring up any other issues? (IE she doesn't realise that Voyager is mirror to the one that she is familiar with?)

2. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

that would be nice but she clearly has memories of being a good Kes.

remember the hologram she made for herself at the end?

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

No, she is menopausal Kes.

Ocampan menopause is rough.

4. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

The "String Theory" books have come up with a plausible explanation what the pathetic wreck we saw in "Fury" really was. It was not the real Kes.

5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Books aren't canon.

6. Lynx

^^
    Doesn't matter. The Voyager story continues in the books and the explanations in the "String Theory" books are plausible.

And acceptable for many fans.

7. exodus

Fans don't run the franchese and fans consider canon paramount.

We hold up canon on the board all the time due to it. If they didn't, so many wouldn't be questioning the J.J.Abrams film.

Paramount are the only ones who can give the ok on what is canon and what is not because they own the licence. The fans have no say in that matter because they can't overrule what is legal and binding.

8. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Not all of us do, many of us are open minded enough to accept alternatives and discuss "what if" that is why we have a message board, to discuss "what if." We are NOT the ruling elite of religious order deciding which works are canon and which are to be rejected.

Please do not issue these sorts of sweeping general statements as fact please.

9. exodus

:lol:

What holds true on a message board isn't what holds true in real world business. Speculate all you wish here, that's what its for but being open minded about science fiction it doesn't change the fact of legal license.

However, if one comment taken out of context is your only complaint, then I must not be doing to bad.

10. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

Agreed. If I only cared about Canon, I wouldn't read the novels. And, for me, the novels are the best.

The String Theory explanation is plausable; but I never really understood what the deal with FURY was in the first place. I guess I need to go back and watch it; but, at the time, it seemed plausable. Especially with her mental abilities in all. Can someone elaborate on the issues of the episode so when I watch it again tonight and I can look for those?

11. exodus

Rewatch "Coldfire" first, it explains much of why Kes became the way she did. Also if you know the X-Men, "Coldfire" = "The Phoenix Saga" while "Fury" = "The Dark Phoenix Saga".

It's basically a story about how absolute power corrupts absolutely.

12. Lynx

In this I totally agree.

When it comes to the "Fury" issue, there are many fans, not only ardent Kes fans, who find that episode horrible for many reasons. Many fans consider the events in "Fury" totally out of character and see it as nothing but unnecessary character destruction.

Therefore it's actually natural to discuss other options who may be more acceptable for the fans who ind "Fury" as nothing but an insulting piece of crap.

We must also face the facts that it will never be any Voyager episode or movie and that those who ruined the character are not involved with Star Trek anymore. So if a writer presents something which might give an acceptable solution to the "Fury" problem, something that the fans of the character Kes appreciate, why must it had to be waved away as unacceptable because of not being "canon"?

13. exodus

I think we all should be allowed to talk about the ep. whether some find it acceptable or not. The board is for everyone to express their opinions, correct?

14. Lynx

I get the impression that we are doing just that.

15. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

I actually do like the episode "Fury." Even as a fan of Kes. It's a fun episode, action packed, and it features the Vidiians again who are one of my favorite villains. For my own personal canon, if you will, I accept the String Theory books explanation for the Kes we saw in "Fury." Just because I don't see the friendly Kes we last saw in "The Gift" twisting so far evil as to want to kill all of the friends she made on Voyager. Not just kill them but actually torture the crew by having the Vidiians remove their vital organs.

16. Lynx

Sorry, but I can't see any "fun" in that sadistic episode where a favorite character was destroyed in the most diabolical way.

The Vidiians were great villains in seasons 1 and 2 but it was only stupid to have them back in this horrible episode.

And no, the real Kes would never do such things to her best friends. Only a sadist who really hate the character (and obviously her fans too) would come up with such an insane scenario.

Without being too melodramatic, I will never forgive Rick Berman, Brannon Braga and Bryan Fuller for that episode. Did you know that Braga and Fuller actually did spend a Christmas, figuring out that diabolical scenario? The true spirit of Christmas, wasn't it? And a real Christmas gift to the Kes fans. But what can be expected from such :censored: ?

17. Lucy of Nine

Lucy of Nine Commander Red Shirt

LOL - read the above post from Lynx, but do it in a Borgified accent... ta dah... it sooo sounds like Seven! :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: I love it! LOL

BTW like I said in the other thread... I am not a great fan of ole Kes, but I thought Fury was a bit ridiculous in my humble opinion...

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

No it was OUR Kes and she finally, finally leaves forever.

Kes is my least favorite character so it's a toss up as to whether having her dissipate into whatevuh in "The Gift" or turn into Psycho-harridan in "The Fury" is better.

19. Lynx

Well, I guess that malice can be fun but consider the fact that there are many fans who like Kes and who were very unhappy by the way she was treated.

What would you say if your favorite character would have been destroyed in the same way?

Lucy of Nine wrote:
    Oh, I guess that the assimilation process has begun. ;)

20. Lucy of Nine

Lucy of Nine Commander Red Shirt

LOL, Lynx... resistance is futile... :)

BTW good point about someone's favourite character... I would have been mortified if anything like that had happened to Seven or B'Elanna... or Janeway... or Tuvvie... or Chakotay... or hell any of them! :)