Fun things to do with a time machine.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gingerbread Demon, May 20, 2019.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Thank you Saints Row. Some nice panels during the end credits and this got me thinking what fun things one might do with a time machine.

I like their use of a banana peel.

funthings.jpg

Kerock, KimMH, Ar-Pharazon and 2 others like this.
  2. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Grandfather hunting.

OCD Geek and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  3. Gingerbread Demon

Do explain.

I was thinking of pranks like kidnapping famous people from the past and then dumping them in the present in the middle of a city that they grew up in or live on national TV for interviews. Much fun would happen.

Going back in time and taking photos of all the extinct creatures we only read about or hauling back Dinosaurs for the NY zoo, imagine the publicity.

Leviathan likes this.
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Leviathan likes this.
  5. Gingerbread Demon

Oh ok... Well that's always a possibility with time travel isn't it?

Would we invent time travel before warp drive?

Leviathan likes this.
  6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually made a thread just like this a couple of years ago. Basically the fun would come from Trolling the past.

My favorite is to drive down a Old West town in a convertible playing Loverboys " Working for the Weekend" just to see what all the cowboys and country folk, do.

Put a replica of the Jaffa's staff weapon in one of those pyramids before future explorers find them so they think the Jaffa were real people in the past.

Pay Abraham Lincoln to give the Gettysburg Address wearing a Starfleet uniform and film it.

Jason

7. Gingerbread Demon

Ooh I love the last one.

Or put modern wristwatches on a few mummies before they are discovered. The explanations would be amusing.

8. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

I'd wear my creepiest gaze and photobomb the hell out of historical pictures.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  9. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

My time travel trip would be to carry a bag containing a portable TV set, a DVD recorder, and an antenna back to the '50's or '60's to record TV shows, mainly those TV programs that are considered lost or incomplete, then come forward in time and donate them to The Museum Of The Moving Image/The Paley Center For Media, or just give them to the companies that own the catalogs that said shows are a part of (this would be done in the United States, the United Kingdom, and any other nation that had TV preserved as kinescopes, or that, when tape came around, had recorded them but then had recorded over them to save space, thus destroying said older show and making it be lost.) I'd also record TV specials, TV pilots that never got picked up to become a series, sporting events, parades, political debates, news broadcasts, etc.

XCV330, Phoenix219, Deledrius and 2 others like this.
  10. Gingerbread Demon

I like this idea very much. Donating the old films you find would be an amazing thing to do.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  11. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I'd use that on Buzz Aldrin. Story has it that he was peeing as he was climbing down the ladder. :lol:

I also would go back to before the Library of Alexandria burned down, with a mobile scanner and scan everything that was stacked there...

saddestmoon likes this.
  12. Gingerbread Demon

OK now that's one I didn't think of. Scan what's there before the big fire.

13. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Yep. Imagine all the movies, books and all that that it'd inspire. I'd be a legend for a very long time.

14. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Thank you.

I also wanted to add that special attention would be given to the DuMont Television Network and its TV shows, many of which were destroyed after the network closed down (and even though said programs were on film because of the unique and innovative Electronicam TV camera that recorded a TV program on film at the same time through a common lens; all of the destroyed shows-heck, every DuMont show-would be saved.)

OCD Geek likes this.
  15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well you could always travel back in time to before Warp Drive was invented and give it to a family member who can claim they invented it and you can also give them the design for warp drive at the same time.

16. Gingerbread Demon

That's also a good idea as long as you give that family member some kind of information or primer so that they don't look like a complete idiot when asked to explain their invention. At least that's what I'd give to my younger self so I don't look like a total dick when I show off my new time machine and reactionless drive engine.

17. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Turns out the Library of Alexandria instead of having great literature was filled with the Stephenie Meyer,and L Ron Hubbard books of the time. Also a bunch of "Egypt Today" Newspapers and Tax files and self help books.:)

Jason

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  18. Gingerbread Demon

I thought it was Warehouse 2 filled with dangerous artifacts. :)

Phoenix219 and Jayson1 like this.
  19. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

But that's only because I went back *before* you went back, took all of the real stuff and replaced it with that. ;)

20. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

When I was 14, I participated in a statewide FBLA competition, and after the awards ceremony, we were "treated" to this huge (as in, multiple big screens) multimedia presentation that was mostly globalist propaganda mixed with some licensed music that sounded really good though the surround sound, like "Coming to America" by Neil Diamond when they were talking about the global workforce. What I've imagined doing for a while now is getting in there with all of those bright eager minds and replacing that presentation with one that brings everyone up to speed on all of the major developments *between then and now*, including bad things like 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina and so forth. And then popping forward about 3 or 6 months at a time back up to the present, to watch the improvements/chaos that would cause. :D