From There To Here

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by mirrormatt86, Feb 10, 2017.

1. mirrormatt86

mirrormatt86 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In the early 2000's we didn't have many options for fan made Trek productions (sure, fan fiction of the franchise was around, but nothing we could watch.) When Hidden Frontier burst on to the scene with live action filming against obvious green screens, the landscape as we had known it changed forever. For seven seasons, Hidden Frontier's crew learnt new skills and strived to produce better content. Each episode entertained us and enthralled us as we followed the adventures.

From there it was on for young and old, as New Voyages, Continues, Intrepid and a litany of others joined the fray and pushed the envelope further and further. Eventually we arrived in 2012 with the promise of the next big thing - Star Trek: Axanar. And they teased us with a mockumentary called Prelude to Axanar which would be the proof of concept, they said, of what would become a feature film produced by industry professionals.

We watched as the landscape changed once again in December 2015 as CBS and Paramount filed a lawsuit against Alec Peters and Axanar Productions, and over the course of the proceeding thirteen months events played out at break neck speeds... guidelines were introduced, JJ Abrams and Justin Lin got involved and two camps were formed - those against Axanar's commercial venture and those supporting everything Alec tried to do.

We've reached February 2017 and the lawsuit is settled and fan film guidelines are in place allowing a diverse array of creativity.

Joining me for an eighty minute, three part discussion of the last decade and a half is Carlos Pedraza of Axamonitor.

PART ONE:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    dmac, Mordock, Firebird and 2 others like this.
  2. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you had not started this thread then I would have, you beat me to it ;)
    Great interview as always, I look forward to the next two parts, especially part three, "the future of fan films" discussion.

mirrormatt86 likes this.
  3. mirrormatt86

I think that while the bulk of this three parter talks about Axanar, it still is deserving of it's own thread to be able to discuss fan films in general.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  4. Philip Guyott

Part two:

dmac and mirrormatt86 like this.
  5. mirrormatt86

Thanks Philip, I forgot this morning to post it.

I'd appreciate people's feedback.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  6. Philip Guyott

It was helpful to have some context behind Abrams and Lin's comments that the Axanar Lawsuit would be going away. That was new information to me.

mirrormatt86 likes this.
  7. mirrormatt86

and part three:

Philip Guyott and Firebird like this.