Found a shirt for my costume today! (pic inside!)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by K-Star, Sep 30, 2007.

1. K-Star

K-Star Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know there's some online, but those are like $50. I got one today at the local costume shop for $20!!! I bought black pants to go with it and now all I need are the rank pips and combadge!

Here's a pic. Pardon the messy room!

[​IMG]

So what do y'all think? And I know I can get the rank pips and combadge online... any recommendations for what site to go to?

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I think there you have your new avatar, K-Star! ;)

3. K-Star

I think I'm gonna wait until I get the rank pips and combadge before I make that an avatar, actually.

4. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Very nice K-Star! It looks good on you. Congrats on the bargain! :)

5. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Captain Captain

You got a good deal!
    I was in a costume shop last week and they only rented Star Trek tops for way too much.
    If I can't be trekkie for Halloween, I think I'll just skip it.

6. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

Very cool! I myself own a red TNG-era uniform top and a gold TOS-era top. I'll probably rock the TOS top for halloween this year. :thumbsup:

7. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

Great price on a sweet lookin uniform, way to score a deal :)

"And I know I can get the rank pips and combadge online... any recommendations for what site to go to?"

I'd love some suggestions for this too,

Cheers,
    Kytee

8. K-Star

I thought it was a rental only store until I got to the checkout. Apparently it was supposed to be alot more, but they had forgotten to remove the $20 tag that the costume store that they had bought it from (they search stores for costumes to collect and sell) had on there originally. The guy told me I was very lucky and that meant I could buy it for only $20 (and I could rent it for $10 if that's what I wanted to do, but I really wanted to buy it so I could use it in the future, like for a convention or something... assuming I don't gain anymore weight! ;)).

So yeah, it's quite awesome (though a tad uncomfortable. I'll have to wear a thin undershirt to keep the zipper in the back from bothering me) and I'm gonna look for everything else online today.

And unfortunately, the pants I bought (that my roommate picked out for me when we went to Target) don't have pockets, so I can't carry my wallet which has my student ID and room key. Guess I'll have to get one of those ID holder clip things I've seen many students wearing and clip it to my waistband.

9. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Captain Captain

A) Missed-priced tops eh? This gives me hope. Maybe I'll snoop more in depth next time I visit a costume shop with potential.

B) Sorry to hear about the zipper issue. How does the material feel? Is is okay on the skin or scratchy?

C) No pockets. That's a bummer. I rely heavily on pants pockets. That's why I prefer jeans.
    You know, in TOS some crew members had a small black case (for tricorders I think) slung around their torso. Maybe something like that wud help keep your uniform in character while allowing you to stow your personal stuff. (Just a thought).

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]
    Black camera case by Polaroid, circa late 70s. Small silver-embossed brand name obscured with black marker pen.

[​IMG]
    Same black camera case by Polaroid. Big enough to hide money, spare blue makeup, cinema tickets, small camera, props for convention performance, speech notes, etc.

[​IMG]
    TOS "UFP pennant" cloth badge, from Lincoln Enterprises, glued to zippered leather "man bag", circa early 80s.

[​IMG]
    Same leather "man bag". Big enough to hide money, spare blue makeup, cinema tickets, speech notes, etc.

[​IMG]
    All "Star Trek: Enterprise" Andorians had a leather pouch on their belts like this one.

[​IMG]
    "Star Trek: Enterprise" Andorian ambassador's leather pouch.

11. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shirt looks great.....Good Choice!!!! :)

12. K-Star

Yeah but most of those are TOS era uniforms. I'm doing TNG. Plus I don't wanna have to carry a bag... though I MIGHT bring my video camera (or digital camera) to get pics or videos of people at the party I'm gonna go to (with their permission of course) so I'd have that bag at least, then I can just ask my friends to hold it when I present myself for the costume contest.

In response to the comfort question, the material feels ok. A bit scratchy on the shoulders because of the sewn-in pads that frequently get shifted out of position but it's really just the zipper that bothers me.

13. K-Star

*apologizes profusely for double post* Just a heads up... I found a site for the pips and combadge and I've ordered them. It was $3 per pip and I needed three of them (two gold, one black. Yep, I'm a Lt. Commander! There's a very special significance to that if anyone cares to hear about it). The combadge was $14. Now I'm just hoping it all arrives before Halloween!

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Hey I was merely offering you a range of ideas. Being in a TNG outfit would not prevent me from slinging a sleek black or silver camera bag over my shoulder that was big enough to hide wallet, keys, cinema tickets, etc.

Why not visit an army disposals store for some ideas?

15. K-Star

Meh. I don't really want to have to keep track of a bag the whole night, though if I end up bringing my camera I'll probably have to.

I did go get a free ID holder clip that also has a keychain, so I'll attach that to my waistband. I really only need my ID and key with me.

16. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

This is where I ordered my VOY/DS9 communicators from.
    roddenberry.com

All of their pins and props are very accurate to the show. Now all I need to do is find a good uniform, been meaning to buy either a VOY or TNG movie costume for years and never have. At least I have my comm pin ready to go. :lol:

17. K-Star

Darn! Could've gone to that site! Well, I already ordered some stuff from a site called "Xcapes Sci-Fi Originals" and the FAQ said it would take a minimum of two weeks and a maximum of four weeks. I only hope everything gets here on time.

18. Fedaykin

Fedaykin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for that link, I have been searching for badges and pips that look more like th eshow, not all shiny and metall-y.

19. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

No problem. The badges I received are very close to the show. The only difference would be the two pins on the back. The show used velcro to attach them to the costumes, didn't it?

20. NathanielM

NathanielM Captain Captain

I know there's some online, but those are like $50. I got one today at the local costume shop for $20!!! I bought black pants to go with it and now all I need are the rank pips and combadge!

Here's a pic. Pardon the messy room!

[​IMG]

So what do y'all think? And I know I can get the rank pips and combadge online... any recommendations for what site to go to?

[/QUOTE]

You really need a life maaan...