Forged in Fire Spoilers

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Reanok, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started reading this book last night. Fans are really going to enjoy this book and the tie ins to episodes like Blood oath and Enterprise episodes Affliction / Divergence.I really like how Sulu is being potrayed in this book as well as the other characters like Janice Rand & Curzon Dax and the Klingons to name a few of the many character appearences from the tv series and the trek books as well. I'm not going to say too much about spoilers right now except fans are going to be pleased with this book deals with the events and the consequences dealt with in this story will cause alot of discussion.When others get a chance to read this book.It's a book you don't want to put down.Thanks Micheal & Andy for a book that all the Stratrek fans can enjoy.

CaptChris42 likes this.
  2. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Glad to see Janice Rand gets some exposure. That was one of the things I really liked about Howard Weinstein's take on Sulu's first command.

3. Reanok

The nice thing is we also get to see the return of Christine Chapel and Sarek as well. This story is really good. We get to see alot of characters like Captain Styles and how his crew react to Sulu being his first officer of the Excelsior poor Sulu is between a rock and a hard place. because of the stunt Scotty pulled sabotaging the transwarp engine. He has to deal with the security officer named Cutlter who was to get the First officer job. Who hatesd Sulu's because she's a close friend of captain Styles and was his choice to be first officer until starfleet picked him for the job. Dr. Helen Klass is a friend of Sulu and is a friend and confidennt as well as Janice rand warning him which officers are trouble makers.Sulu is having a diifcult time not losing his temper with Styles or with Cutler who's the Security Chief.Kang, kor and Koloth are really well written in this story.Kamarag is also in this story Curzon Dax thinks he's a windbag because of the longwinded speaches that he's given at a conference on the Klingon Qouvat colony. During meetings for a peace treaty with the klingon empire and the Federation negeoiations with Sarek & Curzon dax to name a few of the characters at this meeting. :rommie:

4. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved the fact that Sarek was Curzon's mentor in Art of the Impossible. Nice to see that revisited.

5. Reanok

Toughlittle ship you'll get to see plenty of Sarek and Curzon Dax in this book. The Albino doesn't want the conference to go forward and sabotages the confernce.An series of explosions happen on Kuvat and several Kligons and federation are badly injured and deaths as well. The Federation and the Klingons are trying to find the enemies ship the klingons.
    Captain Styles was killed in the blast as well several Federation Security officers & Klingons as well. Sarek was wouned in the blast.Curzon Dax missed being badly injured by leaving the building.Dr Helen klass was badly injured. And Sulu is now in command.Christine Chapel is now in charge of Sickbay. And Kamarag and his aide are on the Excelsior because Klingon medical facilities are lacking the medical equipment that Federation ships have and helps keep them alive. Bioweapons are the cause of the attacks.Also Season four Enterprise shows are an important part of the storyline from Enterprise 3 partarc The Augments trilogy and Affliction/ Divergence to parter plays an important role in this story.Curzon Dax stays on the Klingon Ships to help the investigation and Sarek is helping Sulu with the investigation

6. Reanok

Juat a quick update The Albino name is Qagh and we learn more about his background and why he hates the Klingons.He a really nasty villian. He attacks a Science colony on Mempa 2 and steals all their scientific knowledge and technology and sets a trap for Kang, Kor and Kotloth and Curzon Dax.They find mor einformation about the Albino and he's not happy about them hunting for him in Klingon space. The action is starting to build it's getting exciting. Curzon Dax saves their lives in a neat twist from the Albino nad they escape back to Koloth's ship.The albino destroy's one of their ship's in revenge.Sarek demands Curzon to quit his mission with the Klingons so can return to the Excelsior he refuses to do so because of their hunt for Qagh is getting more intense they want revenge .Sulu was given orders by Starfleet to stay in orbit around the Kuvat colony by Admiral Blackjack Harriman well Sulu and the Excelsior decide to heck with his orders and decide they're going after the Albino needless to say when Harriman finds out about them disobeying his orders he'll blow a gasket. :p :rommie: Security Chief Cutler approves of they're hunt for Qagh because he was responsible for what happened to Captain Styles other crewmembers at the Conference.They want to capture as badly as the Klingons do Sulu has a personal grudge against the Albino as well.

CaptChris42 likes this.
  7. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

I read this book in 24 hours. It was terrific...well worth the long wait for an Excelsior novel. Here's hoping that Pocket Books will publish another Excelsior novel...perhaps Sulu's first mission as permanent Captain?

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm halfway through this book and so far, so good. I like the little intertextual references not only to the various aired Treks but to previous novels, such as Enterprise: First Adventure and The Captain's Daughter.

9. jezor

jezor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just read it as well. Lots of fun, quick read, good characterization, although a bit forced about explaining some of the, shall we say, canonical cosmetic differences among not only Klingons but Trills. Thanks muchly! {ProfJonathan}

10. Reanok

It really is a great read I'm almost finished reading it. I like all the references to tv shows and the movies was a nice touch of continuity with Enterprise & Tos. I also like the character arcs in this story.I really have enjoyed reading this book.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is it consistant with The Sundered? Since it's by MAM&AM I've been assuming that it was, but I just wanted to make sure.

I just want to know one thing, is the Albino a Klingon or something else?

12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Yup, though there's not that much overlap between the two.

He's a Klingon, albeit what the less enlightened would refer to as a "freak." :klingon:

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I may be one of the few who did not, in fact, cheer at Styles' death. :(

Does he get *any* significant development in the novel other than being killed? In ST III I always thought he was just a cardboard cutout.

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Styles, in his appearance in the second run of DC's Trek comics, wasn't such an ass. He even helps Kirk out of a jam.

CaptChris42 likes this.
  15. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those two sentences cancel each other out.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Yeah, gotta say I don't get that either. Is that some kind of a dig at Kirk?

18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

I am a writer and professor, and I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about.

These sentences do not negate each other. One: Styles is not portrayed as an "ass" or "jerk wad" when he appears in the issue; even going so far as to helping Kirk out when he needs additional help. Therefore, Styles isn't really how we saw him in Trek III and, in the issue of DC comics he appears in, is quite a decent chap that doesn't hold a grudge against Kirk.

Have I made myself clearer than before? (Although, I thought I made myself quite clear the first time around.)

19. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just because Styles helps Kirk out of a jam, doesn't mean he isn't an ass. The way it was phrased the first time, IMO, was circular logic.

IE: Styles helped Kirk out of a jam = Styles isn't an ass.

One doesn't necessarily equal the other. He could still be an ass. But I didn't think he was an ass anyway, just playing devil's advocate. I think he was just a by-the-book commander with no imagination.

20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Yes, but I stated "He even..." Hence, in addition to him not being an "ass," he also helps Kirk out. One does not depend on the other and, in fact, is not dependent on one another. Your reading of my sentences is wrong and it is you who imposed that one must equal the other.