Food and drink of Star Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Kor, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

What food and beverages from the various series and films do you find the most interesting, appetizing, or appalling?

Have you been inspired to prepare real-life meals based on any of them?

Beans and Bourbon (McCoy family recipe) is always a winner, IMO.

Kor

2. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I'd like to try a Raktajino.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I bought a set of those little glass cups by Bodum to drink tea, Earl Grey, hot, while trying to write TNG stories. Only one has survived half a dozen changes of address.

4. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

Try those Man Trap red pills. (Crunch) You'll sleep.:borg:

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Romulan ale.

It presumably has quite a kick to it. Drink too much of it and the hangover is murderous.
    :rommie:

6. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's always gagh, the squirmy Klingon dish. I don't know how you would simulate it on present-day Earth. But I suspect it might be as good a reliever for hemorrhoids as Preparation H. :eek:

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some of that Klingon food actually looks pretty good. (For instance, I dare you to read KRAD's "The Unhappy Ones" - specifically, the dinner scene - and admit that you're not hungry. :drool: )

8. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me Romulan Ale sounds like Everclear with some blue food coloring added to it.
    Guranteed to put you on the floor as fast as possible.

9. ThankYouGeneR

ThankYouGeneR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh goody! StarTrek food!
    :beer:

Actually..........

I have and continue to do special occasion faux Trek food. Nothing big, nothing fancy, mostly making dishes that in my mind 'could' possibly with one eye covered and squinting look 'nearly' reasonable in a personal camera picture. :guffaw:

What I mean is like.... Thanksgiving once was a turkey breast basted dark (I forget how I seasoned it or got it darker)... and called it Targ!

I have done things like this for six or more years. I know there are sites on the web devoted to Trek food recipes if one were ever interested in playing with going Trek food for some reason or another. (I used to have bunches of ideas and recipes but they were on my computer that died)

I will be reading this thread with BIG interest. I'm thinking 'getting ready to do some all out faux Trek food' would be a personal celebration highlight during the whole 50th Anniv year. I had not considered this before. Thanks for the thread!

10. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Wonderful stuff, that Romulan ale." - McCoy.

It must be different from what we normally consider "ale," i.e. a top-fermented grain beverage (beer).

In TWOK they seemed to treat it more like a liquor or liqueur, pouring and sipping small amounts, and it wasn't fizzy like beer.

And in TUC it was served more like wine.
    There was a blue Romulan beverage in DS9... it was called by a Romulan name, but I like to think it's actually the same thing. And of course, the dark blue drink on the Romulan ship in TOS "The Enterprise Incident," which I also like to think is a variety of Romulan ale. (I just thought of all this off the top of my head, man I feel like a geek :ack:)

Kor

11. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I might regret it, but I really want to see just how spicy hasperat really is.

12. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to try the Deanna cake with mint peptide frosting. (This isn't me trying to make some perverted comment about tasting one of the women on the shows. I'm a fat guy who likes cake.)

I'd also like to try some of the geometric foods from TOS.

Also also, I'd like to try any of my favorite foods as produced by the replicator, just for comparison.

TNG inspired me to try Earl Grey tea. But sad to say, I'm not a fan.

13. ThankYouGeneR

ThankYouGeneR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hasperat!

I, and 'friends', have done this a bunch of times. 'Friends' go with layered tortilla roll-up. Not spicy.

I go with SPICY hot Chipotle's burrito for my version because the Trek pics look closer to the fat two-handed stuffed Chipotle.

To hear the Bajorans talk about hasperat I would guess about three to four times as SPICY hot as my version. Maybe twice as spicy as a straight habaƱero. ?? Maybe give a habaƱero a bite?

14. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Hm, I wonder what those multicolored cubes from TOS taste like. I also wonder what they are actually made out of, recycled .. something?

15. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

16. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

I would like to sit down to a frothy glass of Andorian Ale.

17. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me they seem like those weird vegetable/fish jell-o dishes they apparently experimented with in the 50s.

No one else wanting to try that purple soup Chapel made for Spock? No idea how it might taste, but c'mon, it's purple!

As a strict teetotaler I'd naturally like to try the various Bajoran and Cardassian teas mentioned in DS9 :lol:

No Klingon cuisine for me, thank you very much. Though the closest thing we have to Gagh is propbably that Italian cheese with living maggots in it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Bon apetit!

18. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

When Preemptive Strike aired, I used to frequent a burrito bar that's specialty was habanero salsa. Many a dish of hasperat was dressed at their fresh salsa bar.

All through the nineties, I visited many a tea house, enjoying... tea, Earl Grey, hot.

I don't think I can eat fruit salad without wishing at least some of the melons were dyed blue like TOS food cubes.

19. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Tube grubs and snail juice is not to my liking. Unfortunately, the only foodstuffs Vorta can taste are kava nuts and rippleberries. :lol:

20. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Live earthworms. With plenty of A1 Steak Sauce. Anything tastes good if you put enough of that stuff on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.