Poll First lasting exposure to Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by DonIago, Apr 26, 2016.

?

What was your first lasting exposure to Star Trek?

1. The Original Series

58.3%
  2. The Animated Series

2.1%
  3. The Motion Picture

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Wrath of Khan

4.2%
  5. Search for Spock

2.1%
  6. Voyage Home

2.1%
  7. Final Frontier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Undiscovered Country

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The Next Generation

29.2%
  10. Deep Space Nine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Generations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. First Contact

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Insurrection

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Nemesis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Voyager

2.1%
  16. Enterprise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Star Trek (2009)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Star Trek Into Darkness

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. I don't consider myself a Trek fan but I frequent this board.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Apologies if this has been done before, especially if it was particularly recent.

After someone here told me they got into Trek through TMP, which in my head is probably an outlying case, I thought it might be interesting to run a poll to find out when people generally got into the franchise.

Please answer based on the first Trek you saw that made you interested in continuing to watch Trek, not the first exposure you had overall. In other words, if you watched TMP but hated it, then watched VOY and loved it, the answer would be VOY, not TMP.

Looking forward to seeing what comes of this!

For me, it was a re-run of "The Naked Time" back when I was about 5 years old. It probably reveals far too much about my psyche that my first recollection of Trek is a shirtless Sulu running through the halls with a sword.

2. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

For me, it was Star Trek back in 1992, when I was hospitalized for several weeks and could do nothing but watch TV. Later on I saw Deep Space Nine on television and realized they were connected, but I had to use books to fill in a lot of the blanks.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The original Star Trek. I feel like I came out of the womb watching it.

4. Hutchy01

Hutchy01 Captain Captain

Probably a night in sickbay at Christmas 2013 which starting in January I started watching the rest of them and am still getting through them today.

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure I was aware of and at least familiar with TOS and TMP, but my first "OMG I love this!" was when I went to see TWOK in the theater when I was 8 years old.

6. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

As a young boy in September '73, I first saw TAS new on Saturday mornings and then immediately also within days started watching the daily [Mondays through Fridays] reruns of TOS. So, for myself, it would be TOS/TAS.

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^Now I'm glad I remembered to add TAS as an option. :)

8. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

I watched TOS in the 1970's as a child , it made a lasting impression on me cos there was a black female sitting in a room with other white males and she was not the maid! Yep I had the same Whoopi Goldberg experience!:biggrin:

Tracy Trek likes this.
  9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

TOS in reruns in the early 70's.

10. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

The movies I guess. TMP and TWOK in particular.

11. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Captain Captain

I think a lot of this depends on the age of the person answering. For me, it was the original series, as that's all there was when I got into ST. I can remember drawing little Enterprises on my desk when I'd get bored in high school classes in the mid-70s, trying to imitate Riley singing I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen (though not where people could hear me!), and that I'd memorized the dialogue between Scotty and the Klingon in the bar fight scene in The Trouble With Tribbles. Looking back now, it's hard to imagine how we got by with those three years of original Trek for ten years before the first movie came along. I never watched the animated series when it was first aired, as I couldn't get into it in that format.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Oh, great, another one of these threads that's going to make me feel very, very old . . . :)

(Just kidding.)

But, yes, I got hooked during TOS's original run on NBC aeons ago.

13. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

TNG, followed by TOS and the TOS movies.

14. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG. Still my favourite.

15. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Born in 1982. Yes, you guessed it, TNG. (in the 90s)

16. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

I believe it was the 19th September 1990, or perhaps the 25th. Shortly before the UK TNG premiere on 26th September 1990 (I was 8), they had a star trek film which I believe was Voyage Home. That would have been my first interaction with trek, and I liked it enough to watch TNG, so technically TVH, despite it being TNG and Wesley that really hooked me.

17. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TOS in its 1992-3 BBC2 re-run, between seasons 3 and 4 of TNG. I then saw seasons 4-7 of TNG when that resumed, then seasons 1-3 when they went back to the start.

CitadelZombies likes this.
  18. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My folks used to let me stay up late on Star Trek nights some time in the third season for TOS. I was 5. Saw Specter of the Gun in first run. I remember for sure because the "coming attractions" as we used to call them were for Day of the Dove (my clearest memory of that watch). I can never forget that feeling of excited fascination. Like I was an explorer myself.

Then syndication in the 70s for a long time on WPIX 11 in NYC. Then I think WLIW for much better, not cut up TOS eps. I remember the first time I saw Mirror Mirror uncut, I was like, where did all this come from?

19. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Wow I feel old, I had just started working and because of TNG I bought a Panasonic VCR just to record Star Trek lol

20. CitadelZombies

CitadelZombies Commander Red Shirt

First saw TNG on BBC2 in the uk when it was showing Season 3. I remember catching the end of Transfigurations then the next episode was the 'Best of Both Worlds, Part 1' after that I was hooked.