'First Contact' and the Federation way to create one.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JesterFace, Aug 1, 2017.

1. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Do you think it was a smart way to create first contact with Malcorias by "stalking" the population with undercover officers on the planet and contacting the head of the space program before they actually got into space with a warp capable vessel?

I don't think it was a very good way to go. I think a better way would be to wait and see if they make it to space with a warp capable ship and then say hi. Picard told the Malcorians that they use this kind of approach because their first contact with the Klingons led to all kind of trouble, but would the Malcorians really be any kind of threat to anyone with a ship that just broke the speed of light...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

:lol:
    LOL
    I never even thought of that.
    But that does seem pretty stupid.
    Even the Vulcans waited until after Zephram Cocharan broke the light speed barrier before contact. And that was 400 years before the federation sends down spies with deformed feet and hands:lol:

3. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

This is so true.

Picard is equating two different types of first contact..the harmless ones with the fresh-in-space peoples, and first contact with an already advanced (and in the case of Klingons, an aggressive) alien race.

4. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a stupid episode for all sorts of reasons.

5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really hope they don't do this all the time. I seem to recall Picard saying something about them being concerned about an unfavorable outcome, due to how xenophobic the Malcorians seem to be. While I doubt it might lead to something like how it must've been with the Klingons (They don't seem that aggressive) there could be risky consequences, because they do seem like they might be a quick to misjudge type of people.

Is there any reason why a damn transmission wouldn't be a better way to go, instead of espionage? "Hey, we're from another planet. We've been aware of yours for a while, but have been leaving you alone, because we didn't want to alarm you, but we see a lot of warp signatures coming from over there now, & just so you know, venturing out might mean we meet at some point. So maybe we could chat 1st. Cheers & good luck with your enterprise" :)

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure I agree with the Federation's policy of engaging in ground-based espionage against potential warp drive-inventing civilizations, but I kind of like the idea that the Federation has this policy that is deeply controversial within its own ranks and which may not be entirely benevolent. It's not a policy that is actively hostile or harmful, but it reflects a certain cultural arrogance I think the 24th Century Federation certainly has, and from a creative standpoint I like the idea that even if the UFP is a very progressive and enlightened society, it is still not perfect and not immune to a certain level of cultural paternalism.

7. Mojochi

But you'd think 3 missteps in a matter of a few years, with the same crew of the flagship would raise some red flags. I mean, Who Watches The Watchers, First Contact, & Insurrection. I'm not even including the fiasco that is Homeward. Observer Effect! You dimwits! You don't seem to be very good at avoiding it. Maybe you need to stop mucking about on unknowing inhabitant's worlds

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Transmissions can be intercepted. You never know who's listening.

9. Mojochi

How is that a problem with a simple greeting? There's also multiple ways in which you might send it. Heck, If they're close enough to beam down Riker, They could literally beam a message player right into the head leader's office. It could be a hologram emitter for Gorn sake, no bigger than a ring they beam right onto his index finger. Kind of hard to intercept that. lol