Firefox update issue

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by scotpens, Jan 13, 2019.

1. scotpens

scotpens Vice Admiral Premium Member

When I install the latest Firefox update, Firefox starts hanging and running slow. This only happens on my home computer (an HP desktop computer running Windows 10).

Recently I had a lengthy screen-sharing session with a Geek Squad agent. We did a clean uninstall and reinstall of Firefox, as well as deleting any old security software I'm not using. None of that helped -- Firefox still runs slow, hangs and crashes.

Anyone out there have a clue as to WTF is going on?

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do have any plugins or addons loading?

Is there anything else that's running at the sametime?
    If you bring up the detailed view of task manager what does it show for your CPU and memory usage?

I'm running 64.2 without any noticable slowness in starting (though I'm running from an SSD not HDD).

3. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would recommend deleting your cache. It's amazing just how much is kept that you'll never use again which is only really useful for sites you visit often. It all adds up over time and can in time actually slow down the browser if there's too much of it.

In Firefox: Options> Privacy and Security> Scroll Down to Cookies and Site Data> Click on Clear Data and you'll get an option to clear both Cookies and Site Data and Cached Content via checkboxes. I usually only deal with the Cache unless I have more serious issues that need dealing with the cookies.

5. scotpens

scotpens Vice Admiral Premium Member

I downloaded and installed Firefox Portable, and the problem seems to have disappeared. In fact, Firefox is actually running a bit smoother and faster now! Thanks for the tip. :techman:

6. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool! glad it worked out. :mallory:

I usually hav as much as possible in the portable format, if you have to reinstall then you can simply copy the whole thing back after you're done, backing up is also easy, just drop everything on an USb stick or so.