Spoilers Finding Dory - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 16, 2016.

?

Grade the movie

1. Excellent

90.9%
  2. Above Average

9.1%
  3. Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

It has been 13 years since Finding Nemo, and early reviews are pointing out that we have another amazing movie from Pixar with Dory. This is one of the most anticipated movies of the year for me!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everything I've read and seen for this has looked great. I can't wait!

Dream likes this.
  3. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Forget "finding" friends kids to take to the cinema so I don't stand out as a weirdo, I'll be there center and middling (don't want to get a crick in the neck) on opening weekend. Barring a few exceptions, all the Pixars have been worth the cinema trip, even if I'm the tallest one in the theatre... :whistle: :nyah:

Hugo - If this is some kind of practical joke, it's not funny, and I know funny. I'm a clownfish.

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  4. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming... :)

5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Mine? Mine? MINE!

6. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Balls. Just realised Dory is not out in the UK until the 29th July. Poor brain functions had led me to believe it was out for us this weekend too.

There goes my Monday treat

Hugo - Balls

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My mom and I are going to see it Thursday. We're both really looking forward to it.

8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Went with the kids on Sunday and saw Finding Dory at the recently opened Movie Tavern movie theater. We were able to enjoy the movie while eating dinner, which was kinda like sitting in your own living room and eating except with a huge F'ing screen. The food was actually excellent and the overall experience was enjoyable. So loved the movie, was as good as Finding Nemo.

Dream likes this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw the movie yesterday, and I loved it. It was nice getting learn more about Dory.
    All of the new characters were good, with Hank being my favorite.
    It had a really nice message to it too.
    I voted Excellent.

Dream and Janeway’s Girl like this.
  10. Janeway’s Girl

I loved it! A little (blue) gem of a film :adore:

Hank was my favourite!

And Baby Dory was the cutest thing ever!!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Dream likes this.
  11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

What Would Dory Do? That's the heart and soul of this film.

Naturally, I love this film. It's a beautiful follow-up to Finding Nemo. Not only does it tell a beautiful story for Dory, it gives greater context for the character in the first film.

While it wasn't as much of a tear-gusher as the opening of Up, this film's opening of Dory searching for her parents leading up to her encounter with Marlin brought tears to my face.

Lots of great characters, particularly Hank. Idris Elba and Dominic West as the two sea lions were a riot. This must be the first time I've ever heard West's natural British accent because I didn't recognize him at all. I was a little disappointed they didn't slip in a subtle reference to The Wire.

And yes, baby Dory is the most adorable thing ever. :D

Lastly, I loved the tank crew's cameo in the post-credits scene, although I have to wonder what they've been eating this whole time if they're still stuck in their bags.

Once again Pixar has struck gold.

Oh, and why is this in the Science-Fiction & Fantasy forum? It really should be in the General TV & Media forum.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's a movie about sentient, talking fish. I'd call that fantasy. Unless you know something the rest of us don't.

13. Janeway’s Girl

I enjoyed it more than Finding Nemo, because Dory was the lead rather than Marlin.

14. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, I guess, but then does every talking animal movie go here? Doesn't seem like a natural fit. I wouldn't put something like Winnie the Pooh or the Ice Age movies here either. I don't know, maybe that's just me. *shrug*

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I really loved this movie. "Excellent".

It was cool to see the characters again after all these years, Finding Nemo has always been one of the top tier Pixar films for me. I enjoyed that this sequel shifted its focus on Dory, and as a result we got a much more cartoony tone with this. We got lots of great character development for her. I think all the new characters were funny, with Hank being the standout. The only real flaw I found was that Marlin and Nemo didn't get much to do.

I think that this movie having so much focus on the interactions between animals and humans, and an octopus driving a truck in the climax qualifies this movie as fantasy.

It was really refreshing that there was no villain or romance in this, since those two things ruin many movies these days when badly done.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  16. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Yes. That's exactly how I described this. I think I can watch this again someday, but I won't watch Up again. It was great but I can't take that again. That was too good.

I really liked how all of those little things mesh so well with the first movie, like Dory knows how to speak whale.

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  17. The Nth Doctor

And how she can read while Marlin can't.

18. Janeway’s Girl

^ Basically, Dory rules!

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  19. BoxWhatBox

BoxWhatBox Commander Red Shirt

Dory's aquarium crew was awesome! Especially, Destiny. This movie had heart and several laugh out loud moments. I loved it.