Favre calls it a career

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Outpost4, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

I'm wearing Packer green and gold today.

While I'm sorry I can't say I am surprised. I think the playoff loss against the Giants was real tough on him and if there is one thing all athletes agree on, it's that the loses get tougher the older you get.

2. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

I...whuh...buh?

Well, the first year I don't expect it and he retires.

*raises a glass to Brett Favre*

3. Deadpool

Deadpool Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good bye old man. You shoulda retired a while ago. I really feel bad for John Madden now, because he has nobody to jock anymore. Maybe he can join Farve in retirement. Too bad ESPN still has Tom Brady to jock because I`d love if Chris Berman went away as well

4. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

turbo, I'll join you in that toast. :beer:

There aren't many people that won't congratulate Brett Favre on a remarkable career. We had the pleasure of watching one of the great ones play.

EDIT - I guess you are right, Deadpool. My mistake. He should have retired before this last year, instead of leading an underwhelming team of youngsters to within one drive of playing in the Super Bowl. How could I be so stupid? :rolleyes:

5. Deadpool

Deadpool Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

kinda suprised by this. Would have thought that after last year, and how the Packers came out of nowhere, that maybe he'd stick around for one more shot at it.

After 2006, he should have hung it up, had a terrible year. Came back strong in 2007, though, so thought he might give it one more try...

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I expected him to come back last year and he did (and had a great season). I pretty much assumed he'd come back again this year, since he seemed to be playing simply because he likes playing football, so it's slightly surprising he retired. Still, he was one of the coolest players ever. I hope he enjoys retirement. He definitely deserves a rest after playing for so long.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

disappointing (or perhaps fitting) that his last NFL pass was an interception, though...

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Eh, I find that to be hilarious. He's Brett Favre. There's only two ways he should have gone out: With a great play you had no idea he could make or an interception. Since the Packers didn't win the Super Bowl, an interception makes more sense (nothing can be perfectly storybook. He did at least go out with a very good season).

10. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he shoulda retired a year or two ago as well. I think he was great in his day, and half of fame material, but I'm not sad to see him go. The guy has way too many apologists. At least this year he's not prolonging it along and tying the team's hands to go in another direction.

11. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, I didn't see that one coming...it's not even April 1 yet, what gives?

Lifelong Bears fan and Packer hater, but I give him his due--despite him driving me nuts on occasion, he earned the accolades he's gotten all the way. :beer:

12. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

One of the best ever.

Cheers to you, Mr. Favre.

:beer:

13. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Same here. I'm going to miss seeing the guy in the game highlights. Great career Mr Favre. Enjoy your retirement. :beer:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Then again, it'll be a lot easier to understand the announcers now that they can call the game without Farve's dick in their mouths... :p

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a life long Viking fan, this is such great news. No more Drama Queen!

And ten years from now, when sitting around playing sports trivia and the question “Who did Favre throw his last career pass to?” comes up.

The answer: “Corey Webster, cornerback New York Giants.” :guffaw::guffaw:

Though, I suppose I should do the right thing and have a drink to a great career. :beer:

Though, honestly, I don't know if he really is done. He is the Drama Queen after all, and there is has been some rumors of foul play afoot this morning.

16. GMac

GMac Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be sorry to see him go, but at least he got the opportunity to walk away on his own terms (and at the top) rather than being forced out by injuries or cut by his team for salary cap reasons.....

GM

17. Jen

Jen Vice Admiral Admiral

Do you know how crazy things are here in Wisconsin over this news? Television stations are preempting shows to go over and over the fact that Favre retired. I've had family in Green Bay call me to tell me the news. It's insane.

But...it is a bummer. I was expecting him to give it one more shot. However, he did give us Cheeseheads many great, exciting seasons, so I can't complain. He'll be missed at Lambeau, that's for damn sure.

18. mrcoaster

mrcoaster Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought he'd stick it out another year. On Rome's show this afternoon, the two Forum guests thought Brett would change his mind and come back in a few more months.

I have to agree with Scout - at least we won't have as much Favre slurping all season long this year. Great QB, but if I had to hear another episode of "This might be Favre's last game on MNF/in Lambeau/in September/etc.," I might have hurled myself off my roof.

On the other hand, you know what this does to the NFC North? The best QB in that division now is...Jon Kitna. Really. I wouldn't wipe my shoes on the QBs in that division. :lol:

19. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really thought after this past season he'd come back for another year so this came as a shock to me.

20. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

That's why I wasn't too surprised: No one expected anything last year, but if he came back, the pressure would be on. I think he knew last year was a bit of a fluke, and repeating it wasn't going to happen.

As a Packer fan, I'm torn: On one hand, I was hoping for him to retire so the Pack could move on, but on the other hand, I'm really dreading the Aaron Rogers year(s).