Favorite Trek Lit Romances

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Feb 13, 2018.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought with Valentine's Day coming up it might be fun to see what people's favorite Trek Lit romances were.
    The ones that first come to mind for me are one two that were first introduced on TV, but were really developed in the books, Riker and Troi, and Picard and Crusher.
    I'm also a big fan of Prynn and Shar, and Ro and Quark from the early DS9 Relaunch. I have to admit, when I first heard about Ro and Quark I thought it was the weirdest paring I'd ever heard about in Trek, but they actually made it work.
    It hasn't exactly been the most stable relationship, but I've found Pazlar and Ra-Havreii in Titan interesting.
    Calhoun and Shelby in New Frontier were pretty good too.

borgboy likes this.
  2. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Captain Captain

Prynn and Shar are hands-down my favorite. I know their story is 'over' but I would be elated if they were brought back into DS9 proper as main cast and get to explore their career and relationship now that they're older. Quark and Ro were an excellent surprise and I'm sad the way they strung each other along to an anticlimactic end. I was also quite partial to Taurik and Chen and was disappointed that ended too. Crusher and Picard being together felt a little underwhelming for me, to be honest. It felt more like 'well they should be together and now they are! yay!' kind of deal.

borgboy likes this.
  3. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Premium Member

I like that Chen and Konya are back together in TNG. I think they're a good match.

Of course, my favorite romance in Treklit was the ongoing behind-the-scenes cold war with regards to Geordi's love-life, as books kept switching off between people who do and don't think he should be with Leah Brahms (I'm definitely in the "don't" camp). The guy who couldn't get a date in seven years suddenly had three on-again off-again girlfriends.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    borgboy likes this.
  4. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Captain Captain

I was disappointed Geordi never ended up dating Leishman from the Aventine after Destiny. I was rooting for her. I always wanted Geordi to end up with Brahms but I think I built up that couple in my head for so long that when I finally saw it in the books I was disappointed by it. Same goes for Bashir and Serena, which ended up in my lamest coupling ever pile.

I was a big fan of Ezri and Bashir but I was satisfied and understanding by the time they ended it. It felt natural and their relationship really would have held back development of their characters now that I see it in hindsight, given how different their paths have gone.

borgboy likes this.
  5. marlboro

marlboro Commander Red Shirt

Martok and Sirella in Left Hand of Destiny

Kilana2 likes this.
  6. Kilana2

Kilana2 Commodore Commodore

Rom and Leeta (Worlds of DS9). She's a kind of First Lady now. ;) And Rom as a wife to show off....

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Definitely not a fan of Geordi/Leah Brahms. Geordi is many things, but he shouldn't be a homewrecker. :(

8. Kilana2

I agree. But Halstad as his partner also takes some getting used to.....

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As long as they make it clear that Leah's husband was already dead or out of the picture by the time she and Geordi got together, I guess it's not so bad.

I mean, they did do that, didn't they?

10. Kilana2

According Memory Beta Leah is widow - I have read the Genesis Wave novels a long time ago and almost forgot about Indistinguishable from Magic. Geordi seemed to have two girls for a time - or not, I'm not sure. That would be odd.

11. Dimesdan

Dimesdan Living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Thanks for the reminder, I had clean forgot.

Must remember to get a cheap card and even cheaper flowers from a garage tomorrow before the wife gets home so I can remind her I love her.

Kilana2 likes this.
  12. lvsxy808

lvsxy808 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The weird thing is, neither Prynn and Shar nor Ro and Quark ever really had much of a romance to speak of.

Prynn and Shar had a brief flirtation that never really went anywhere, after which there was a bit of pining and lingering feelings but no consummation, given that he was a married man by then, and after Shar's family died, Prynn had her brain-dead father to look after and then he left Starfleet altogether.

And Ro and Quark were on-again-off-again, then maybe-fuck-buddies, then just-kinda-friends, and now nothing at all. I think the allure in both cases is more in what might have been than in what actually was.

I've written a relationship between DS9's science officer John Candlewood and dabo boy Hetik that I think is quite nice...

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like how Kira&Odo's relationship is written in the DS9 books and Trip&T'pol's complicared Romantic relation ship continues in the Enterprise books and Tom and Be'elanna in the Voyager books and about their children and Riker&Deanna Troi's realtionship has grown and changed in the TNG and Titan books..

Kilana2 likes this.
  14. Kilana2

Kirsten Beyer knows how to write the Voyager characters properly. And I like her description of the whole Paris Family, including the development of Tom and B'Elanna's relationship.

Jinn likes this.
  15. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:eek:If I'd been swallowing a mouthful of milk when I read that, then I'd have sinuses full of nose-yogurt immediately after doing so. Glad I don't drink anything carbonated or alcoholic; that would have been downright painful.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I take you don't read the DS9 novels?

17. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

And each of them were probably seeing 2 or 3 other guys too:lol:

While I can't see Geordi doing that, and it's definitely not for me, I do know people for whom it's normal.

18. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought it was explicitly stated in one of the novels (The Light Fantastic, maybe?) that both (all three?) of the women knew about the others.

I was also a fan of the Quark/Ro relationship in the early DS9 relaunch, and enjoyed watching them try to figure out their own attraction to one another and how to make a relationship work between such different personalities. Then it seemed like we went through an endless period of Ro wanting to break things off, yet seeming to maintain some sort of "friends-with-benefits" status quo. That, I found quite tiresome!

19. Kilana2

Odo and Kira's first kiss was something to remember...... I'd like to see a Odo-Kira reunion in the novels.....

20. thribs

thribs Commander Red Shirt

The Lit-Verse seems to go out of its way to break up romances set up in the shows. I'm surprised they let Riker and Troi stay together.
    The only major one I can think of is Picard and Crusher.