Favorite Geordi Episodes (& Moments)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Arpy, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished “Identity Crisis” and have been thinking about La Forge. He’s really undervalued. Not so much in this episode, but he’s basically the guy who pulls off everything the bridge is demanding so that they don’t all die week after week. What are some of your favorite episodes with La Forge?

somebuddyX and Qonundrum like this.
  2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's my 3rd favorite character after Picard and Data. My 5 favorite episodes are

1 Galaxy's Child

2 Booby Trap

3 The Enemy

4 The Mind's Eye

5 The Next Phase.

I love all the stuff between him and Data. I think him and Leah Brahms made a great duo and wished they had did one more episode between the two before the show ended. Maybe she is now a chief engineer of a ship for the first time and he comes to visit and they have to use her old hologram for the 3 of them to problem solve something in order to save the ship.

Jason

Qonundrum likes this.
  3. marlboro

marlboro Guest

The Mind's Eye
    The Enemy
    The Next Phase

Underrated character. Never should have gotten rid of the visor.

daveyjones and Qonundrum like this.
  4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

In The Ensigns Of Command, Geordi's lack of techno-BS was kinda refreshing.

"We can modify the transporters, It'll take fifteen years and a research team of a hundred"

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

The Next Phase
    Elementary, Dear Data
    The Enemy
    The Arsenal of Freedom
    Booby Trap

Honorable mention: Galaxy's Child

6. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

For sentimental reasons, 'Aquiel', it was the first episode of TNG I got back in the 90s on VHS.

7. marlboro

marlboro Guest

^ I think that episode is much better than its reputation.

JesterFace likes this.
  8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even though Hollow Suits and Relics tend to focus more on Barlcay and Scotty I feel like LaForge helps make those episodes work great. Especially in Relics by seeing how him and Scotty are different when it comes to their jobs.

Jason

9. daveyjones

daveyjones Lieutenant Red Shirt

having just recently started a viewing of the TNG films on the heels of my series binge, yes. levar just looks so much cooler with the visor on. it's as much a part of his character as the fedora indiana jones wears.

10. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

Geordi commanding the Enterprise in The Arsenal of Freedom was always a highlight to me. I like how he motivated the bridge crew and took no shit from Chief Engineer Logan and then to rub it even more in his face took his job the following year. And it's one of the few episodes where they separate the saucer which was a big deal.

I also really like The Next Phase and his relationship with Ro there.

My other favourite moment is that Geordi was the only Star Trek action figure that I ever had when I was little. I had no idea who he was when I got him so I just called him 'Mr Man'. I used to get lunch boxes and fill them with water and then stick Geordi in the freezer thinking I was freezing him in carbonite or something. He eventually fell apart and I lost all the pieces except just a leg. I keep that leg in a little memento box. Last year I bought the same figure on ebay, along with a Picard figure. The Picard figure lives in my sister's fish tank but New Geordi lives on my shelf above my computer.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Leviathan, Arpy and Jayson1 like this.
  11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

To be fair, was Logan the last of the rotating cast of (or multi-headed) Chief Engineers? It was so hard to keep track.

But I'd agree that Arsenal Of Freedom was a great, early Geordi stand-out moment.

somebuddyX likes this.
  12. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

So many great scenes with Geordi. Always unlucky in Love as well. One of my favorite scenes was his run to the Holo deck when he realized Leah Brahms was about to discover his little secret.:guffaw:

Also of course his Watson.:D

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I believe Lieutenant Commander Leland T. Lynch, Skin of Evil, was the last.

AoF was a good Geordi stand-out episode.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  14. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

"The Arsenal of Freedom" was one of the best uses of the entire cast, with the exception of Wesley's absence, which was understandable given the mission.

Geordi's story here was one of my favorites, and it showed exactly why Picard would make him Chief Engineer only months later. I always thought this moment was a test by Picard on his leadership abilities, since Engineering is arguably the most important department on the ship and would have a large team of officers and crewmen, especially on a ship as large as this. Having the knowledge is one thing, but being able to effectively lead a large department like that is quite another. This episode proved he could do it.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Id always had the theory, "fanon" if you will, that Picard brought Geordi on always with the intent to make him Chief Engineer (obviously this wasn't the case behind the scenes.)

In "The Next Phase" when talking about Geordi, believing him dead, Picard tells a story about meeting Geordi during some kind of inspection and making some passing reference to a shuttle not working right and Geordi staying up all night to make the repairs, this impressed Picard enough that he wanted Geordi on his next assignment.

So I think he brought Geordi onto the Enterprise to be Chief Engineering but Geordi hadn't enough rank yet for that title (being a Lieutenant, J.G.) so Geordi had to put a little more time in, earn a promotion, and then he could be Chief Engineer. During that time the Enterprise, being full of new equipment, trained other officers set to be chief engineers on other Galaxy-Class starships in development which is why we have all the Season 1 CE's. Geordi would get his experience with new equipment working along side them, so we see him in Engineering a lot too.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  16. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not a Geordi-centered episode at all, but I liked "things going his way" for once in Transfigurations and getting the girl because of his more being at ease after the Zalkonian's energy had touched him. It was nothing less than he deserved. A pity they had to revert it to the status quo after that episode.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Ar-Pharazon and Farscape One like this.
  17. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn’t really get the Geordi never gets the girl thing. He’s a lieutenant commander in Starfleet and chief engineer onboard the flagship. He’s brilliant, brave, amiable, handsome, can be commanding...I’m sure he’s fine. Plus, he’s done lots of different things — piloting, engineering, command, literature! The stories he was involved in necessitated things didn’t work out.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.