Fan theory on the Klingon ships

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Mirror Mirror, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

I had this thought yesterday. Everyone has talked about how "Un Klingon" the ships are, how they are a bit too Gothic and near insect like. We know they are old designs, we know the Klingon have been in space since the 14th century. We know they stole their designs from their conquerors.

What if the designs are Hur'q? Think of it. They are using tech other Klingon's do not, tech they pass down and seemingly can not replace. We know at some point the Klingon had to stop advancing, if indeed they ever advanced at all.

Their designs got less elaborate, more utilitarian in design. They were more advanced then earth in ENT, but by the time of TOS that tech advantage is near gone. They never seem to advanced really. What if they are still using that stolen tech and just slowly made it their own?

So we go back to DSC Klingon. We know they are a throw back house, very "old school", very much into being "true" Klingon and more or less have enshrined an archaic look. And maybe archaic technology. So maybe they are Hur'q designs.

Thoughts?

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  2. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If the Hur'q nailed coffins to their hulls, then I suppose what we're seeing could be a Hur'q design.

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

This or similar ideas about the Hur'q somehow being involved have come up before around here. Personally, though, I don't really see them throwing in such an obscure – and in the end, unnecessary – reference.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That could just be an ancient klingon thing.

Mirror Mirror likes this.
  5. Mirror Mirror

Likely and old Klingon custom.

6. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

INACTIVEUSS Einstein Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope that one episode with the Hur'q doesn't end up defining Klingon culture.

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The ships actually do have perfectly smooth and streamlined hulls. They just end up looking so bumpy and elaborate because of the thousands of little coffins stuck to the outside. It's like a naval vessel covered in barnacles! :lol:

Kor

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as I'm concerned, in the Discovery universe this is just how Klingon ships have always looked.

pst, Jedi_Master and Kemaiku like this.
  9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I have always found that Starfleet vessels are rather boring. The smooth surfaces and lack of decoration seem to reflect a design that was meant to be flown in an atmosphere, rather than in space, where reducing drag doesn't help you in the slightest.
    The new Klingon vessel(s) are rather cool looking. Bring on the unnecessary protuberances!

10. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except when they are rising up from the Riverside, Iowa shipyards :devil:

Kor, pst and Jedi_Master like this.
  11. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

or rising up through titan’s atmosphere or rising up from an ocean or falling and then rising up through earth’s atmosphere or falling and then rising up through altamid’s atmosphere or rising up through a reflecting pool and falling into pavement.

i hope we get some more traditional klingon ships in the mix too. but maybe that’s what those stargate attack fighters are supposed to be idk

12. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

we have always been at war with the Klingon Empire

F. King Daniel likes this.
  13. Mirror Mirror

Fair enough. This is how I often think, but I just had this idea and wrote it out.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  14. Energizer

Energizer Ensign Newbie

With what, sticks and stones? :)

15. kerchan

kerchan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Looks like cutlery with barnacles. Awful. Must be A nightmare to service.