Fan Production uniform/costuming question

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by CJCade, Nov 13, 2015.

1. CJCade

CJCade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To those TBBS members out there involved in fan productions, when it comes to custom uniforms or costumes needing to be made, do you rely on your own production group to make them or is there specific people who offer the service that you turn to?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice you're able to share.

2. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Initially, at least, your best bet would probably be to use a reliable tailor. Provide specs and materials, and let him do what he does best; tailor. If you plan to do more than one, or a series, that's an incentive to the tailor to not only do good work, but to be dependable for alterations, on-the-spot fixes, that sort of thing. A series is essentially an ongoing job that pays for people like that.

3. CJCade

Thanks for your thoughts and taking the time to share them.

4. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At STC we have a wardrobe department who are constantly making and modifying uniforms and other costumes. We have (or had) some Anovos at one point and we still may have some.

5. CJCade

Thanks, feek61. I majorly impressed with the uniforms and costumes on STC (along with much everything else).

For me, a wardrobe department is out of grasp.

The uniform I need, if I can get things going, is a future version (post Voyager) and will need to have patterns made and then put together. I may be able to find a local tailor that MAY be able to do it, but I am really wondering if anyone knows someone with experience who has been used by other fan productions.

6. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Patty Wright did our first uniforms. She might be able to help you.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

CJCade, your original question was for advice on what to do. What it now sounds like is you want is volunteers to do it. Is that right?

8. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

9. CJCade

Thank you, Randy. I may contact you through your website to get some more info.

Maurice, I'm not wanting volunteers and if it came across that way, I didn't mean it to. In my original question I was asking what was common practice... for fan productions, to do costumes in house or to hire/contract from outside. That was in hopes that if they did hire/contract from outside, I may find out some contact info. I tried to clarify that but I may not have succeeded.

I just want someone who has been tested and knows what they are doing so I get the most for my money.

Eventually I want to try to get together a team to do a crowd-funded fan film that could possibly turn into a series. All that is way down the road, though, because what I have now isn't anywhere close to what I need to have to move to that stage. I want to get some principle pieces in place to prove how serious I am when I do get that point.

10. CJCade

Thank you for the link, YJAGG. I would be worried about the quality as well. And the design is different enough, it would take a lot of work to adapt it as a pattern to my needs. I appreciate the help though.

dmac likes this.