Fan Production Guidelines

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by nx1701g, May 21, 2016.

1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

With the announcement of settlement negotiations between Paramount CBS and Axanar there have been comments that official regulations are being created.

Here's my question: what do you think these will look like and will they apply to all fan productions (fanfic, games, etc.) in the future or just films?

2. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

"The Axanar Accords"

mos6507, Xaios, wtriker1701 and 3 others like this.
  3. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

1) no crowdsourced funding
    2) no selling of fan film merchandise
    3) no paying of cast and crew (you can pay an electrician, a plumber, or for pest control, but you can't pay for a grip, gaffer, director, etc.)

I don't see the point of time limits.

jespah, wtriker1701 and Firebird like this.
  4. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I would be quite satisfied with these being the cardinal rules.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I see the point of time limits: short subjects can't be seen as alternatives to full length episodes.

6. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If time limits were introduced do you think fan productions would still be able to tell a wider story ark over several shorts (parts). For example, splitting a 30 minute story into six episodes lasting five minutes each?

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Any guidelines announced will infuriate and frustrate a lot of people. That's guaranteed.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Rhetorical question I assume.

9. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

I'd allow for limited crowd funding, but I agree with the rest. I'd also allow an auction of props (actually used in filming) to recover some of the out-of-pocket expenses.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Quoted very much for truth.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Here's what I hope the rules will be:

(1) no crowdfunding
    (2) no merchandise
    (3) no entry into film festivals except for those sanctioned by CBS for fan films

There's no need to eliminate known faces (e.g. SAG members) from appearing; a prohibition on crowdfunding and merchandise would effectively end that unless the filmmakers had deep pockets.

The film festival rule is something I've been thinking about lately. Axanar, Continues, and other fan films have been running away with film festival awards, arguably on the back of an internationally known IP which they didn't license. That's brand confusion right there, not to mention rather unfair to the competition (e.g. original independent projects that need -- and deserve -- recognition a lot more than "Star Trek: ________").

12. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

The main difference between Axanar and Continues is that the latter hasn't been screaming, "LOOK AT US! WE'RE WHAT THE FANS REALLY WANT! BUY OUR COFFEE!!"

RCAM, Kor, QuantumMechanic and 5 others like this.
  13. dmac

dmac Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Consider what enforcing rules would mean to CBS/Paramount, probably more than they would want to deal with and leaving one rule, NO Fan Films.
    Not to say that it couldn't be tried, Limited crowd funding would be based on what, episode, length, character count? Money is spongeable and invites manipulation. Manipulation invites squibbles and tattletales which leads to enforcement. Enforcement leads to I've had enough of this, you are all gone.
    You could look to the NFL. License fan films, fan film merchandise, provide a commercial outlet for both and distribute funds back to the studios. Problem is cbs/paramount will paid more to manage it than its worth. The Genie is out of the bottle and allowing one studio a Pass this time isn't going to help matters at all.

14. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

But coming down on everyone will make too many people mad. "We're supposed to buy from you and you're giving us inferior product? Really?"

dmac likes this.
  15. dmac

If the Axanar deal goes the way J.J. Abrams spoke about at the Beyond event, it proved one thing, You can break the standards by getting a lot of press coverage. I'm just not yet seeing a good ending to these current events

16. DertyNerdy

DertyNerdy Lieutenant Red Shirt

It will probably look like that crap treaty the Federarion has with the Sheliak :lol:

cultcross likes this.
  17. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

As for the guidelines, all I can think of is:

TribbleTrouble1 likes this.
  18. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Realistically, I think we can expect
    - No crowdfunding or public funding drives. Fund it yourself or through friends. This gets away from the 'financial gain' side of things and puts it squarely back in the amateur, fan based, arena. I suspect paying salaries might fall under this too - expenses only for talent.
    - Ownership of all IP created sits with CBS/P as if it were original Star Trek IP - otherwise, there is a risk of the lawsuit going the other way one day. "That was our idea!" cried Alec Peters.
    - Control remains with CBS/P who can veto aspects or the whole thing at any time. If they're going to authorise this stuff, they're going to be associated with it, so they need to be sure you're not putting out an Alien Space Nazis episode with, shall we say, a different slant.

I'm unsure on running time limits - I know Star Wars do them, but I'm not sure what they add here, especially as the fan productions will just end up releasing 10 minute 'acts' of their full length episodes, or Part 1/Part 2 videos.

Oh, and lens flares are now mandatory. And at least one character must rise from cadet to captain ;)

Jedman67, Campe and Firebird like this.
  19. dmac

Generally I think fan film greatest contribution to society is in their inclusive nature so I support a single "Donate" button on the production's web page along with other alternatives to become involved. It's not like some fly by night, I'm going to make the greatest Star Trek ever, "donate button" would attract much attention. Even if it does, it still doesn't outweigh the importance of viewers finding your work and wishing to support additional future work.
    Start up crowd funding fan films often resorts on loads of Hype, rewards for donations, mission statements confidently filled with over reaching goals and even some are put out before the creator has even placed a single cent into the game. There is your trouble, that's where it started and it empowered people to achieve the rewards before putting in the work.
    You want to settle on rules now? Those rules are going to effect one or more of the honest fan films that played respectfully in the fan film community and I'll shed a tear on the day it happens.

Peach Wookiee and Zaminhon like this.
  20. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are plenty of unsanctioned star wars fan films going around. Few are anything close to episode or feature length though.

Potential Fan Film Guidelines:
    1. Every fan production would be required to obtain a "fan production license".
    This license would have to be structured in such a way to make it clear that CBS is not "approving" the production as an officially licensed venture; would limit the methods of fundraising and screening venues, and would specifically grant CBS immunity from any legal action directed against the fan film.
    2. The fan production would be required to have their financials audited by CBS
    3. The fan productions permission to produce can be revoked at any time for any reason without warning.
    4. IP - this gets tricky. Should STC own the IP of the episodes they created, or should CBS (for example)? If IP law allows it, the fan film owns the rights to "their" creations, but only as a derivative of CBS's Star Trek IP.
    and 5. DON'T MAKE MONEY. Don't merchandise. Don't pay yourself. Donated funds can only be used for production expenses for cast/crew/equipment used for shooting/set construction/special effects. Managerial level crew cannot be paid (i.e. director, producer)

I think these would be pretty generous guidelines but still give CBS the power to stop anything they don't like before it blows up into an Axanar mess. In this case, anyone who fails to abide by the guidelines can be stopped, and anyone who does but crosses some line they don't like can be shut down too.

Warped9 likes this.