"Face the Raven" Grade and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Nov 21, 2015.

?

Grade "Face the Raven"?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2015.
  1. Souffle girl

36 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. The Impossible Girl

34 vote(s)
    33.7%
  3. Good

19 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Decent

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. Rubbish

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

This is it. Going to miss Jenna. She was really cute.

2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

From Doctor Who Magazine:

"There is a HUGE shock coming at some point in this episode. Something absolutely massive. So beware - you will not want anyone to ruin it for you before you have the chance to see it for yourself. Shut down Facebook and Twitter. Switch off your mobile. Ignore all your friends. Nail planks of wood over your windows. (OK, maybe not that last one.) But most importantly of all, make sure you watch this episode LIVE, as it's transmitted.
    And get ready to 'Face the Raven.'"

So no US fans even think of going back on this thread until after tonight, 'kay?

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Short of the Doctor murdering Clara in cold blood, I can't think of any possible shock that big that Doctor Who could possibly do.

4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the only shock will be if what everyone expects to happen doesn't happen...

5. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy poop - that was actually pretty damn intense!

6. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good episode, I wasn't actually expecting that much from it! My dad nearly ruined it by messing about though......perhaps I should tattoo the back of his neck.

7. TommyR01D

TommyR01D Captain Captain

1. The "retcon" was an obvious Torchwood shoutout.
    2. The hidden street was reminiscent of Diagon Alley.
    3. We see Ashildr is still there, but no Sam Swift.
    4. If the raven tracks you through all of time and space, can it also eliminate all the other Clara's from The Name of the Doctor?.
    5. Is Me now working for Davros (or the Master)?
    6. I suspect that the confession dial will turn out not to have anything on it.
    7. The business with tracking down the Doctor gives me the feeling of us moving back towards Series 6-esque territory.

8. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I thought the actual death scene was overwrought and overindulgent, to the extent that it nearly bumped the episode's quality down a notch (or two - because that scene just went on and on). It's not even the best death scene that Clara has had. But the farewell between Clara and the Doctor was pitched just right, and both actors brought their "A" games. Cracking TV drama.

Really great episode overall. Four out of five.

Edit: I guess Riggsy having Dad things to do essentially bars him from the TARDIS roster.

9. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was left thinking it was the Time Lords.

Perhaps it explains why the Doctor runs - I'm thinking of something along the lines of what he could become if he ever stopped, at Trenzalore he was a warrior who presumably killed millions of enemies as they attacked. He presumably destroyed billions as the War Doctor.

Perhaps the ultimate end is Ashildr becomes a companion precisely because redeeming her will also redeem him?

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

...wow. I completely forgot Doctor Who was on tonight. :o

11. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clara's death felt very anti-climactic to me. Oh well. I had a love/dislike/like/hate relationship with her but I do feel bad for her, and the Doctor.

12. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I was geeking out a little at the beginning because Capaldi was wearing the Pertwee-like jacket. :D

It was actually a very good and intense episode. I'm not sure about Clara's death, though. I feel I should have been more moved than I was. I had trouble getting over the fact that she basically killed herself accidentally because she jumped to conclusions and didn't ask how the mechanism of the chronoshade really worked. Then again, maybe she was right about having a death wish.

The scene between her and the Doctor was great. I also loved how the Doctor got rather evil in between there. I especially liked his parting lines to Me. I guess all hell will break loose in the next two episodes.

The fact that Me was involved in the death of Clara is rather tragic. Originally, the Doctor just wanted to save her when he made her immortal. But it only corrupted her. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. But that's especially bad with a Doctor that's already on the edge and unsure about his moral compass.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

14. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did enjoy the scene where the Doctor gets all sweet over the baby. That was pretty cute!

15. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So not even an announcement of a spin-off that no one asked for could fit the bill?

:devil:

17. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Overall, the episode was very good, but to me, Clara's death felt anti-climactic. I didn't get a sense of the Doctor being as sorrowful of losing such an important to him companion as I could see, for instance, either 10 and 11 reacting to. And the music during her death was a tad much for me.

So, I liked it, but Clara's exit was mis-handled. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather Moffat had written their last scene.

18. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Your scarf, please.

19. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought it was great, and Clara's departure was heartbreaking and handheld very well.

20. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was covered back in The Woman Who Lived: under the circumstances the med-pack would revive him, but not forever. It's a bit of technobabble really, but it was dealt with.