Exploring characters' past and/or future

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Little_kingsfan, May 26, 2019.

1. Little_kingsfan

Little_kingsfan Commander Red Shirt

Hey, guys, I was just curious: if you could read or write about one character's past and/or future, who would it be? It doesn't even need to be a full book, but utilizing a character in a different (earlier or later) time than when he or she was last seen. Personally, there are a number of characters I'd like to see in their past or future, including:

- Songmin Wong: Last we saw him in 2377, he was a Lieutenant, junior grade serving as the Alpha-shift helmsman on the U.S.S. da Vinci. Particularly for this character, I can't see him still serving on the da Vinci by 2386 and I'm not even sure if he's still in the service.
    - Heihachiro Nogura: I get that part of his mystique is that he's a living legend, but every now and then it's nice to see how the legend was born. Also, since his specialty is "big picture planning" and given his career path (junior officer, executive officer of a starship, captain of a starship, starbase commander, and finally the halls of Starfleet Command), how did he determine he was a better asset for Starfleet out of the Captain's Chair?
    - (Any) Commander-in-Chief of the Federation Starfleet: I know this one might not be the most exciting part of a Star Trek series, but I'd love to see something focusing on the highest-ranked officer in Starfleet and how he or she interacts with their immediate staff (including who they are and what specifically they do), with the various Admirals and Captains throughout the Federation, with the politicians of the UFP, with their counterparts in other powers in the Quadrant(s), and even with the average man on the streets.

Thanks for your input. I'll add more if anybody's interested.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mary Mac, I think het name was? The Orion scientist working on the Guardian's world in Imzadi.

Richard Robau.

3. Little_kingsfan

Another character I'd like to see again someday, either in their own novel or just as part of the story, is Captain Mosh zelev Sereb, the JAG officer who prosecuted Commodore Reyes in "Open Secrets".

In addition, as I believe I mentioned a few years ago in another thread, I'd like to see where some of the "Star Trek: Myriad Universes" characters ended up - did the Federation and other Alpha & Beta Quadrants powers defeat the Dominion after Captain Picard closed the Bajoran wormhole and Captain Worf destroyed the Klingon sun? Did Thelin's extradition and subsequent death(/lifelong imprisonment at Rura Penthe?) ensure peace between the Federation and Klingon Empire? What does the Interstellar Coalition look like with the addition of Earth, and how well do the humans integrate into the Coalition's Space Command and vice versa?

And I've got my fingers crossed to see more from QaS DevwI' Wol and the First Company of the I.K.S. Gorkon, but since that one's Keith R.A. DeCandido's territory, it might be farther off than I'd prefer.

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to see a book that is about T'Pol's backstory. I think she's a really interesting Vulcan character.And also want to know about her future there's alot of intriguing things I'd like to see how her future with Trip happened.It's very mysterious how they finally get together..

SpaceCadetJuan and Masiral like this.
  5. Little_kingsfan

A book about T'Pol's past and future sounds good...especially if it can tie in with President Archer, whose presidency I'd be very interested in seeing (and wasn't it around this time that the original Prime Directive was established?).

Masiral likes this.
  6. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe David Goodman will do an Archer bio to go with the Kirk, Picard and (upcoming Spock books.

7. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I’d like to see more involving Janice Rand. Since her character left before the end of season one, it’s understandable why she isn’t in very many novels, set during the five year mission anyway, but it’d be nice to see more of her.

Greg Cox likes this.
  8. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Canon, rather than TrekLit, but GLW did have a few walk-ons as Rand. Most notably, running a transporter in TMP. And probably wishing she'd taken a different assignment. ("What we got back didn't live long . . . fortunately.")

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd like some backstory on any of the ENT characters. I still don't know what Archer did to make him worthy of being captain of he Enterprise aside from one illegal test flight (which in no way qualifies him) and being the son of the engine's designer.

10. Little_kingsfan

Another part of Starfleet history I'd like to see is the adventures of Captains Nyota Uhura and Pavel Chekov, exploring the galaxy in the early part of the 24th century; if I remember correctly, Captain Uhura took over from Spock as Captain of the U.S.S. Intrepid II in "Vulcan's Forge" and was Captain of the Hermes I believe in the year 2300 (in fact, when "Cast No Shadow" was first announced and that Lt. (j.g.) Elias Vaughn of Starfleet Intelligence was teaming up with a veteran Captain and starship, I was actually hoping it would be Uhura's ship, given that she eventually became a Captain and then Admiral with SI), and Captain Chekov commanded the Potemkin after completing his tour of duty as Captain Sulu's executive officer on the Excelsior.

I'd also like to see what the Department of Temporal Investigations looks like in the late 23rd and early 24th centuries. As one character in "Forgotten History" (I believe it was Director Andos, but it could've been Lucsly) said, "the DTI didn't spring up fully-formed and Starfleet didn't always seek our counsel", so how did it come about that the DTI proved their worth? The other part of the DTI I'd be very interested in seeing is just when and how they became the 24th century's representatives to the Temporal Accords/point people for uptime agencies to work with.

Leto_II and hbquikcomjamesl like this.
  11. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Balthazar Edison prior to Altamid, including his life during the Xindi and Romulan conflicts, and a deeper look at how he adjusted as a former Starfleet MACO and grunt to the realities of holding down a naval command and a new job as a diplomat/explorer. Could be some interesting character-stuff there to mine.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I've been dying for this since I saw Beyond, and I'm really hoping we'll get it at some point now that the Kelvinverse is available to Pocket.

Leto_II likes this.
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just thought of one, the rest of the cast of the '90s Starfleet Academy comic series. We got Pava in Titan, so if she exists in the Novelverse, then there's a pretty good chance the rest of her classmates, other than Nog of course, also exist, and I would love to see them pop up somewhere.

DGCatAniSiri likes this.
  14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would like to see a story about Malcolm Reed's back story before he was on the Enetrpise and how he became a Section 31 agent and why he dislikes Harrison so much as you see in the tv episodes Demons and Terra Prime .

Leto_II likes this.
  15. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always wanted a Nogura history novel, got some here and there, even with the vanguard books..
    Checkov past 2293 would be good, with Sulu probably, but he might be a captain on some ship.

16. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You do get to see what ultimately became of Chekov in the 24th Century in the Vulcan's Soul trilogy of books (he said vaguely).

Kilana2 likes this.
  17. Little_kingsfan

Yes, The Sundered establishes that Commander Chekov served as Captain Sulu's XO on the U.S.S. Excelsior in the 2290s (but had transferred off before 2300, as seen in Cast No Shadow) and that he was an Admiral serving as an instructor at Starfleet Academy in the 2370s (as seen in Vulcan's Soul), but definitely in the 60-70 year gap, there's probably some good stories to be told.

18. Little_kingsfan

Another character we haven't seen in a while that I'm interested in seeing what happened to him is Kurn/Rodek. Last we saw him, he had recovered his memories as the Son of Mogh and was thrown off the Gorkon; what's he been up to these last 10 years?

Avro Arrow likes this.
  19. Little_kingsfan

I've thought of another character I'd like to see fleshed out: Owen Paris. I don't believe we've ever seen a Star Trek character, particularly a Commander or Captain, serve on/command a starship while having a spouse and children at home (even though such things are very common in today's Navy, Coast Guard, and other Armed Services) so what does that look like? And not just to Owen - out there among the stars - but to Julia, Tom, and/or his sisters, knowing that Dad's out there while they're on Earth? Does having that family on Earth (or on whatever planet or base he's stationed at) affect how he looks at promotions or career opportunities?

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We did have Miranda Kadohata in the TNG Relaunch, and I think she left the Enterprise shortly after Destiny to work closer to her family.