Expanding the 31st/32nd century

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jos3s, Feb 21, 2022.

1. jos3s

jos3s Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

We currently have Star Trek Discovery in that time period and from that point of view we know the federation relationships, evolution of technology and other things. What move would you make to expand the stories and points of view during this period?

• Star Trek Discovery, with the mystery of the 10-C species, will we be able to see an exploration of new galaxies from season 5 onwards? Overall, it would leave Discovery unchanged and serving as the flagship of the franchise and time period.
    • Star Trek Starfleet Academy, a series that will accompany the reopening of the academy, initially at the federation headquarters and using fleet support ships (such as the USS Creedence) for practical missions. From the second season there would be a "headquarters" for the academy, probably using an Angelou class as a "mobile" base, which we would see being built from the first season.[​IMG]
    • Star Trek Deep Space (?, name to be determined), one would be located on a space station in the farthest corner the pre-burn federation could reach. We would see a station that survived the burn with a small fleet of ships, but all the surrounding civilizations were unable to travel in space, and we would see the station's people working to keep the fleet's ideas on a freshly explored frontier. A slight variation would be that the series could take place with a pre-burn year and we would follow the creation and inauguration of the station and its survival when being left separate from the federation.

These are my ideas, how would you expand the 31st/32nd century?

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I personally think a Starfleet Academy is the best way to explore this, and allow for an introduction of new locations and ideas, while not having it feel like "as you know" style dialog.

3. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For possibly franchise-sentimental reasons, after Discovery ends, I’d have just one main 32nd-century show, called Star Trek: The 32nd Century. It would be very much in the episodic tradition of TOS and TNG, and would indeed be the continuing mostly-exploratory voyages of this era’s starship Enterprise. But unlike TOS and TNG, the character ensemble would continuously change over time, as new protagonist crew were gradually transferred or promoted out and replaced, so the show wouldn’t have to end after a specified number of years for budgetary reasons — given a few seasons, any given character would leave. (If they’re popular enough to warrant it, move them to a spin-off if it’s affordable. Otherwise their time simply passes, a la Doctor Who.). The show itself could therefore remain the franchise flagship for as long as desired, assuming ratings remained good.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    The Lensman likes this.
  4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Honestly, the 32nd century as depicted in DSC isn’t all that interesting to me. I know lots of people have whined in the past about wanting more ‘far future’ Star Trek, but the far future we finally got (post-Burn fix, anyway) isn’t all that much different from any other point in time in the Star Trek universe. The only difference is that ships now have detached parts. Huh.

dupersuper likes this.
  5. FredH

Maybe, but the thread OP appears to be asking if you did want to expand it, how would you? (Rather than whether it’s worth doing or not.)

WarpTenLizard and jos3s like this.
  6. jos3s

The idea is exactly that :whistle:

FredH likes this.
  7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

That’s true, and I apologize for derailing the thread.

jos3s likes this.
  8. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I've long wanted a show just like that, where the only constant is the ship. One of the things that I loved about 'The Menagerie' (and later The Cage) was that we saw our familiar ship crewed by unfamiliar faces with the exception of a very different Mr. Spock. It gave the ship a sense of history totaally lacking in the spin-off's (except DS9). I've found the spin-off's need to have the hero ship be something fresh off the assembly line annoying. The Constitution class ships were still the most advanced and powerful ships in the Fleet decades after rolling out.

9. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that the Starfleet Academy idea would be a good place to start on this. Cadets learning about the culture and history of their fellow cadets from species that have been largely separated for the past century or more.

jos3s and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  10. FredH

A mostly-joking additional suggestion, for a show with a specific main character:

Kovich: What the Deal Is

DEWLine, Mr. Laser Beam and jos3s like this.
  11. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Show focused on Earth as it rejoins the Federation. Heavy focus on earth politics and conflict with some old earth colonies who doesn't want them to rejoin which also includes some people on Earth. If you want to make Kovich a regular that would even be great. My idea is in away this would be a altered version of the Gary Seven show we never saw. Kovich is from our time and was abducted by those same aliens to help humans.

12. jos3s

In the case of a limited series? a single season? I honestly don't see political shows in the Star Trek universe lasting that long beyond 2 seasons (8 episodes per Season). Or an anthological political series, federation building, land in the 32nd century and other possibilities

13. Jayson1

I could see a limited series or something that runs like 3 years and has maybe 8 episodes a year.

14. fireproof78

Political thriller is not Trek's bag.

15. Jayson1

It can be if they hired the right person. Trek is only limited by the talent of the people they hire to make the shows and movies.

G. Boney likes this.
  16. fireproof78

Hmm...I'm skeptical.

17. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this is fun, giving its characters a clean canvas to explore themselves and the world they're living in. I wouldn't have minded if that happened right from the start instead of re-writing TOS which I loathed, but here DISCO can do something different and embracing the Star Trek to seek out new life. Hopefully this direction will lead the series to motion pictures, something I thought the premise was geared to do from the start IMO.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish it WAS spelled that way! :lol: (it was just Credence)

"Captain Fogerty, where's the nearest head?"
    "Down that corridor, Ensign. There's a bathroom on the right."

Daddy Todd and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  19. fireproof78

Well said :D

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Apparently John Fogerty thinks that mis-heard line is so funny that he actually sings it that way sometimes. :guffaw: