Excellent Guest Stars Of DS9...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Farscape One, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I did this for VOYAGER, but I feel this can done on all shows.

Casting is a very important part of any television/movie production. You can have a brilliant script, phenomenal sets, superb visual effects... but if roles are not cast right, it can spoil an otherwise flawless production.

The main cast is obviously at the center, but there are guest stars who come in for an episode that are not only great in the role, but elevate the entire episode... even outshining the leads. Or have such great chemistry with soneone else that you really wish they appeared more.

DS9 is a different beast compared to the other STAR TREK shows with their guest stars... they had so many recurring guests that a lot of them really main cast members, at least in everything but title. Andrew Robinson, Aron Eisenberg, J.G. Hertzler, Jeffrey Combs, Marc Alaimo... the list is almost endless. For DS9, I am specifically looking for those who appeared only once... maybe twice, if it's a two-part episode.

I am curious to see who everyone here thinks were extraordinary guest stars.

I will start.

"TO THE DEATH" - Clarence Williams III, as Omet'iklan. Before him, the Jem'Hadar were a species that didn't seem to have any personality or anything to really set them apart from being just programmed foot soldiers. "THE ABANDONED" and "HIPPOCRATIC OATH" started to give them some characterization, but it was here that they REALLY got a lot of depth. And a lot of the credit goes to Clarence's portrayal. There was a subtle danger in every word he said, and he proved he was not to be toyed with. Very intelligent, and even thoughtful in his interactions, this was the episode that made me a huge fan of the Jem'Hadar.

FanST and kkt like this.
  2. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Even eliminating the recurring guests, there are too many. Haris Yulin as Maritza in Duet is obvious. Frank Langella, Lilyan Chauvin, and Stephen McHattie also deserve praise.

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Michael Sarrazin as Trevean in "The Quickening".

4. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Paul Dooley as Enabran Tain, James Sloyan as Dr. Mora and Lawrence Pressman as Tekeny Ghemor are among my favorites..... DS9 is rich in strong characters like no other show. That's why I love it.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't Mind Vanessa Williams on DS9. I don't think Let He Who Is Without Sin is DS9's worst episode either (That honor goes to Profit and Lace)

In terms of a Guest Star I did really like, William Sadler appeared only 3 times so maybe he counts.

DS9forever, FanST and Kilana2 like this.
  6. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Iggy Pop as Yelgrun.

Mark Allen Shepherd as Morn (and funeral attendee at Morns funeral)

7. phantomeagle

phantomeagle Lieutenant Red Shirt

Iggy Pop as Yelgrun in "The Magnificent Ferengi.

Yelgrun: "(Angry) Ferengi..."
    Quark "I know, I know. You hate us."

FanST likes this.
  8. FanST

FanST Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Tempted to say Patrick Stewart in Emissary and Jonathan Frakes in Defiant lol.

But I will go with Harris Yulin as Marritza in Duet. What an epic performance, which includes one of the most emotional scenes in the entire series.

9. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Dey Young, as Arissa in A Simple Investigation. It wasn't a roll that called for a lot of over-the-top drama, and she played it very well. The stress of working with the Syndicate boss for many years and then breaking away, knowing her life was at risk every second, showed very well even though she wasn't breaking down in tears. Falling for Odo, her protector, very convincingly.

DS9forever and FanST like this.