ever have a hard time letting go of a forum?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Rÿcher, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

I'm trying my darndest to say goodbye to a forum dedicated to Asperger's disorder.

Granted, I'm not the thought police and granted most if not all of them have Asperger's like me but when people openly talk about bestiality, rape and other such stuff, it just kinda turns someone off to such a site, y'know?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: ever have a herd time letting go of a forum?

What? Do Aspergers and those practices necessarily go hand in hand?! People are people, whatever the forum... even though we have our fair share of people, I don't think we've ever had a serious bestiality topic here, thank god! :lol: Can't you take "refuge" from them over here? :p

Judging by the "herd" in your topic title, it does indeed sound as though you've been spending a lot of time on bestiality discussions... :p

3. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

...and we can't edit topic titles.

shit. :scream:

mmmooooo

[​IMG]
    :shifty:

There's more to it than that. Most people there seem to not want treatment for Aspergers yet they're there on the site. I know, to make friends. I'm there looking for support, learning how coping strategies, developing skills and to make friends and whatnot.

I guess not to toot my own horn or sound too full of myself or whatever but I think I might be too high-functioning for that site. (I say that as humbly as I can)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  4. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

;)

[​IMG]

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Don't go near TNZ then. :)

I took me ages to finally let go of the usenet group I was part of. I used to write episode summaries and eventually it got to the point where the only on topic discussion centered around those so I got the impression that it would die without me, and it pretty much has.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I exhibit remarkable loyalty to my Forums, but under those circumstances I think it would be easy. :cardie:

7. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. There is a general car forum I frequent where there is pretty good conversation about cars. I've been going there for years now. Unfortunately, since the election, I've realized that half the board is nothing but 18-28 year old, middle-american conservative, racist cunts. It's funny how everything can be OK until politics come into play. This would be fine if it was limited to the general discussion forum, but it's bled over into all the other forums and the "moderators" have turned out to be some of the worst offenders. I pretty much just lurk there now once every week or so to check out the news, I'm not going to participate in a forum where calling the President elect a "dumb nigger" in a topic about the new Ford Fusion is not only tolerated but encouraged.

8. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

That's pretty fucked up right there.

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Yeah, I'd be long gone from there.

10. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

You should be able to find another Ford forum, I hope. Car forums rock, I've frequented several over the years - Toyota Vans, S10-series trucks, and now a Saturn forum for my old S-series. I've never seen those types of problems in a car forum!

Car forums have saved me many hundreds of dollars and helped me to learn to do car repairs I never thought I would.

11. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

It's not hard at all. I've quit TrekBBS at least half a dozen times.

12. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, it's not a Ford-specific forum, it's a general board started a few years ago by a few people after the "old" Car and Driver board crashed for six months and the residents at the time had no place to go. It now has it's own small community of a few hundred members, mostly people who weren't the original members... I'm not going to give the link because I don't want to cause trouble. There are people on the board who know enough about me to cause some. ;)

But yeah, this thread inspired me to delete my account there and remove it from my bookmarks page. It really has gone downhill.

13. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Usually when I stop patronizing a forum it's because I no longer have interest in the subject matter so it doesn't bother me.

There was one case where I missed a forum because it shut down. Tutorial Forums used to be an awesome, active community of web and graphics designers. The site was shut down for several months, perhaps almost a year while it was turned into a haphazard DeviantArt post-ur-stuff sort of website with a forum. During that time everybody left and now http://neverside.com is a mere shell of what it once was.

14. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is this one forum I've had trouble letting go of (though it's temporarily closed at the moment). We're way off the topic of what the forum was originally about, but the reason we still all hung out there was because it was easy to keep in touch that way.