Eurovision Song Contest 2014 - Copenhagen, Denmark

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JRS, May 8, 2014.

1. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, it has already started, the music event of the year..the Eurovision Song Contest 2014!

[​IMG]

The first Semi-final was already competed on the 6th and 10 lucky ones were selected to the Grand Final.
    You can listen all those songs from there:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmWYEDTNOGUKmWVFgawRdQBeexOP2U688

The second Semi-final will be held 8th May starting at 21:00 CET. You can listen those songs from here:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmWYEDTNOGUJ8KuAGTgdUNhwTBY8j_FAu

The Finale will be held on Saturday 10th of May.
    The songs of the so called "Big 5" plus Denmark can be listened from here:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmWYEDTNOGUINLyHhwC5ZGgZctAoDHgeQ

So far I have been personally quite happy of this years contest. Some good songs have gone to the final and Denmark is doing excellent job hosting, particularly the stage is pretty amazing looking:techman:

My personal favorites( or songs I like very much) are:): Israel, Montenegro, Switzerland, Romania, United Kingdom and Norway.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Ah the annual European love-fest. ;)

The best thing about the show in the UK was Wogan when he was the UK commentator, sure Norton does a decent enough job.

3. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

So bearded "lady" will probably win with a landslide based on the cheering last night? Unless more conservative (russian) countries are all able to rally behind someone else, which is unlikely.

4. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They are just showing the first semi here. Wow, that stage is fantastic and spectacular.

Edit: It just finished. Not really surprised by the choices. Feel a bit sorry for the Russian entry getting booed when they got through. Looking forward to watching the second semi tomorrow.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  5. .:: TSN ::.

Australia's "entry" was actually pretty good :)

Just placed 10 euro bet on bearded lady with 4.5 odds.. It just feels so strong "winner" when taking account the previous winners on some years and reception that it got on the 2nd semi.

Sweden is favorite to win at this time, but its too normal song. And there have been many normal songs winning in previous years. Bearded lady has samekind oddness, while still having good song, as Lordi (or Dana international) had.

6. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Kasper Juul's political career continues to amaze me. From the Statsminister's spin doctor, to TV political analyst, and now Eurovision host. ;)

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Since when did Australia move to Europe? ;)

8. .:: TSN ::.

Didnt you watch the 2. semi? When they decided to airlift whole continent to europe and drop it on the UK :lol:

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

My wife's working till 9 tomorrow, so I should be able to avoid it, hurrah!

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I suspect you won't be missing much.

11. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I watched most of it in chat with other BBSers. It was actually one of the best contests in memory, with a lot of very good songs (and the rest were mostly very memorable too ;)), and a surprisingly tense finale. The interval act was a non-entity, though.

The best song, fortunately, was the winning song. :)

12. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Very happy that Austria won. The best song did it in the end, after such a tense start with the voting. Lots of great acts tonight, and some memorable for other reasons. Very entertaining all round really.

13. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I only saw the ending but I must say that the stage was awesome and the hosts did an amazing job. That Conchita won is kind of cool, too. Congrats, Austria.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  14. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honesty, as an Austrian I'm used to very embarrassing Song Contest entries (pointwise, if not character/singer wise), and I thought Conchita Wurst was just one more, so I couldn't believe my eyes when I tuned in for the voting and Austria was in the lead. And then I heard and saw the song performance for the first time and I was kind of blown away because the song *was* good, the performance was brilliant and the hype around Conchita was actually based on a solid foundation, not just on the bearded lady curiosity. Wow. Now I only hope that Austria's not going to fall back on harsh 0 point-reality next year. ;)

15. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Hahaha, what? :lol:

I forgot to watch this last night, but I think it's fantastic and absolutely hilarious. On the one hand it gives Austria a not entirely deserved image as a tolerant country, on the other hand it exposed a lot of the ugly underbelly of homophobia that still exists here.

And her song wasn't even bad.

16. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Congratulations to Conchita Wurst. I just saw Conchita Wurst's performance on youtube. Interesting choice of music. Very 007.

17. Tirius

Tirius Captain Captain

A very diverse but ultimately enjoyable run this year - not in the least because we Dutch finally got back onto the podium, lol. Still, we lost to a deserved winner, IMO. Seeing Conchita Wurst sing and being so honestly overwhelmed by her success during the voting really sold it to me. Still, Eurovision continues its trend with me in that the performance I liked most for the evening... was the interval act, lol. Nice to see Emmelie de Forest still going strong.

18. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've only been watching for the last couple of years, but that was the closest contest I've seen. Congrats to Austria.

Special mention to Poland, favourite extras performance. It also reminded me to get my laundry in.

19. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

The Polish song was sexy as hell. I also liked the Belarus entry. Very much a Robin Thicke inspired track. The Kazakh girl in the MV is hot.

20. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I enjoyed it a lot, but I'm a bit meh with the winner. Good song, very Bond theme as stated earlier, ,but I thought Spain and Poland were better. The set left me gobsmacked.

Jessica Mauboy did very well as the 'Aussie entry', it's pretty big Down Under, becase we have so many European migrants.

As usual, some crazy entries (the manster wheel and circular piano), and the chorus of, iirc, the Finnish entry ripped off Steppenwolf's 'Magic Carpet Ride' something fierce, but it was entertaining. I really must spend a year in Europe, just travelling. I really must.