Episodes of TAS that you would've liked to see in a (hypothetical) fourth season?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by BlueStuff, Oct 17, 2017.

1. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are there any particular episodes of TAS that, if you'd had it your way, would've been rendered in live-action form for the fourth season of TOS? Episodes would need to be stretched out to 50 minutes, of course. Any episodes that had enough story potential for that? Any effects/dramatic scenes that would've been satisfying to see in live action? I haven't seen TAS yet so I can't judge.

2. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

All of them.

:shrug:

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Obviously Yesteryear. Also Beyond the Farthest Star would have been pretty kick ass in live action. The Survivor, The Pirates of Orion (with Shatner pronouncing it correctly instead of as "Orrie-On"), More Tribbles (which was one I believe was actually intended by Gerrold to be part of the original series), One of Our Planets is Missing, The Jihad, The Magicks of Megas-Tu, Albatross, The Time Trap, and The Slaver Weapon. All fantastic, live action quality stories.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Lord Other likes this.
  4. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I always thought of having "The Counter-Clock Incident" as a fifth season episode of TOS, to round out the five-year mission with April aboard before Enterprise went back to Earth for refitting.

But a fair amount of them would have been great fourth season episodes.

5. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I love "The Counter-Clock Incident" but Ambassador April is the only saving grace of that story. It would need MAJOR rewrites to even make sense. Id say in its present for the story makes less sense than "The Alternative Factor." Plus I know it doesn't really match the '60s theme. But I'd keep April and Sarah young at the end of the episode. I'd skip the magical transporter fix at the end and make it so they don't turn back to their elder selves. The episode would end with them having a life to live all over again, together.

6. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

"Time Trap"
    "Slaver Weapon"
    "Ambergris Element"

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  7. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I agree with it needing work to make sense, and I love the ending you propose! It gives it a vibe of giving youth to both Pike and the Aprils, kind of making the Enterprise something that would make them perpetually young.

Visually, it would have been neat to see the reverse stars and the Enterprise being dragged into that area of space.

uniderth likes this.
  8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yesteryear, without a doubt. But with kids that could act better and knew how to say "Terran."

And I've always loved The Slaver Weapon. Getting that in live-action Trek would have canonically connected Known Space with the Trek universe for good.

Kor

somebuddyX and uniderth like this.
  9. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm of the opposite opinion: I though the Kzinti should never had appeared. I loved both universes (ST and Known), but never saw them as one and the same.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

"Slaver Weapon" but with a different opponent. Heck, even Romulans could work because since they're related to Vulcans you could still have one as a telepath.. albeit you lose a few incidental bits with a choice like that.

No no no to "More Flat Cats More Troubles". It's dull and unfunny and suggests that all the zingers in the original were Coon's.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  11. wayne66

wayne66 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I say all of them, but I single out Yesteryear, Beyond the Farthest Star and The Time Trap. You know, I want to see the Animated Series turned into a live action series. That would be a good project for CBS All Access to bring more attention to itself. I wouldn't even mind if they remained half-hour episodes.

somebuddyX likes this.
  12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's an interesting idea.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The Jihad", but they'd never ever be able to afford it.

"The Time Trap" just to see a live -action version of the Starship graveyard. Lots of AMT Enterprise parts expected.

somebuddyX and KirkusOveractus like this.
  14. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd really like to see Time Trap fleshed out as well. I would also say the Lorelei Signal, but with Uhura as less uncertain than she seemed in the TAS episode (yes I am aware that I resorted to RAS syndrome in that previous statement :D)

15. ChasFink

ChasFink Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not so sure I'm as in love with "Yesteryear" as others here. While it would be nice to see Spock's childhood on Vulcan in a live action show, the setup makes no sense: Spock was busy in Orion's past, so he wasn't available to go back into his own past and become his "cousin" as he remembers it, so the timeline was changed. But there was no motivation for Spock to visit his younger self in the first place; he only does so in order to set things back to normal. Or to put it another way, there was no "first time" that could have been screwed up "this time". Even the sehlat's death puts another crimp in the logic of the story, since there was no "first time" where he lived.

My first vote goes to "The Slaver Weapon". While it would be a crossover of sorts, there is no reason the two canons need to be merged, just the aspects of this episode. We'd have to find a way to include Kirk, and it would be nice to also include a puppeteer, even if Spock takes the place of Nessus in the story.

Others I'd like (although there are less problematic story issues here, too):
    The Jihad
    The Magicks of Megas-Tu
    The Pirates of Orion
    The Survivor, if it meant getting Ted Knight on Star Trek

16. wayne66

wayne66 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Slaver Weapon would be a good choice for an expanded hour long live action Star Trek episode. Since Kirk was not in it, Shatner could be seen on the Enterprise similar to the Galileo 7 episode, looking for the missing shuttlecraft. I envision Kirk, Chechov, Walking Bear and Mress on the Enterprise for a few scenes. They could even cameo McCoy and Scotty for a few lines of dialogue. I like the idea of including Walking Bear because then when we see him in that later episode (the name escapes me at this moment) it does not seem as coincidental.

17. Kor

Spock was obviously always supposed to have been in Vulcan's past masquerading as his own distant cousin. That's just the way things were swept by the "currents, eddies, backwash" of time.

It was a "predestination paradox," to use the terminology of the later Trek spinoffs.

Kor

18. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What? And give up a wonderful (and legal) chance to have the Kzinti in Star Trek, poppycock I say.

However, the Kzinti would have to be changed from the cartoon to depicted them in all their eight foot tall glory, simply camera tricks would do nicely.

19. Annorax849

Annorax849 Commander Red Shirt

I would be fine with keeping the Kzinti, but change the backstory so that the war was only about 30-40 years ago, since 200 makes no sense in terms of Earth history (though I suppose they wouldn't consider that if it was actually TOS season 4).

20. Kor

Rightly disregarding all the Trek spinoff shows and movies, I don't think there's anything within the canon of TOS itself that would preclude Earth-Kzin Wars having been fought 200 years prior.

I wonder what giant cat aliens would have looked like with 1960s costuming techniques. Was there ever anything like that in The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits?

Kor

F. King Daniel likes this.