Episode of the Week: 3x24 "Ménage à Troi"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jeyl, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Ménage à Troi", an episode that even Star Trek: Insurrection chose to forget (To be fair, Insurrection ignored everything that was going on in Star Trek). Coming immediately after Sarek, an episode that I regarded as being the start of TNG being a great show, the producers thought that the next episode should capture the heart and soul of Season 1 and 2 TNG by incorporating three things that nobody liked. Lwaxana Troi being an annoyance, the Ferengi being a joke and Wesley Crusher saving the day.

So, how does an episode with such incredibly obvious recipes for disaster turn out?.... not too bad. This isn't a bad episode or a great episode, it's just a solid episode. It took elements that we generally regard as annoying from the first two seasons and manages to tone down on what made them so terrible to begin with. Lwaxana actually comes off as funny near the end, the Ferengi aren't treated as the "galactic threat" that they were once meant to be, and while Wesley does help save the day, he doesn't solve all their problems. And like many female characters to come after him, he looks a heck of a lot better in an actual uniform.

Even if all of these elements still annoys you, who can deny that scene at the end with Picard quoting Shakespeare isn't a highlight, especially when he mixes it with a countdown to blow up the Ferengi ship! For TNG and it's attempt at comedy, this is one of the highlights.

One minor issue. if Betazoids (especially Lwaxana) don't mind being naked at all, why do they act embarrassed after being stripped naked on the Ferengi ship?

CONCLUSION An above average episode that introduces some actual changes to one of the characters, has some genuinely funny comedic moments and a very awesome performance by Patrick Stewart in the end. Out of all the Lwaxana Troi episodes, this is probably one of the better "comedy driven" episodes with her character. Next time we see her, we'll be seeing a different side to Lwaxana's character that surprised even me.

STINGER:
    [​IMG]

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Fun way to kill forty-five minutes but ultimately forgettable filler.

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Picard at the end elevates this episode nicely.

"Set course for Betazed ............. warp nine." :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Frakes didn't chose to forget this ludicrous civilian outfit.:rommie: Our sweaty Commander probably wore this for the odor control aspect. He'd been abducted on Krayton for at least two days and nobody and he was not smelling like an old Ferengi when he get back on Enterprise brige.

P.S. Sorry Picard, but a French captain don't quote Shakespeare when a Ferengi fils de pute steals his gonzesse.

5. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it. Nice bit of levity plus Picard's speech at the end was very entertaining.

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Besides "Betazed" looking beautiful, this episode is a snoozefest to me.

7. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is an episode that makes me wish 3D chess was popular everywhere. Riker even had the spots on the board memorized or something.

I like this episode. The ferengi ear thing is memorable, lots of funny moments, and I liked Wesley's part in it.

Alternate episode ending: Wesley leaves for the academy but the ship is pulling away at the same time, O'Brien forgets to update the destination coordinates, and beams him into space. Then the episode ends with a gathering on the holodeck to remember him.

8. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw:If Kirk can beam two redshirts into space with no consequences, then I'm sure O'Brien would be let off with a slap on the wrist (or perhaps a commendation) for offing Wesley.