Episode Duplicates

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by starlitegirl, Jul 19, 2011.

1. starlitegirl

starlitegirl Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As I was watching TNG, I noted that there were several episodes that had a very similar storyline to Voyager. I thought it would be fun to have a game where we find a Voyager episode that is similar to another episode from another Trek show.

Since I'm watching TNG - Parallels now, I'll do this one first...

TNG Parallels - VOY Before and After

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

NO! NO! Yes, some plotlines were reused, more obvious in Enterprise. But Voyager's Before and After is definitely not like Parallels. Before and After is more like TNG's All Good Things than Parallels.

3. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

Not even remotely close. Parallels was different realities and they kept appearing in the main reality (Stargate ripped off this), Before and After is Kes jumping backwards across her timeline due to chroniton exposure from the Krenim. Of course, they wanted to create an alternate reality (why else would they kill 2 cast members at 1 exploding console?) that Kes' warnings would prevent. They planned on offing Harry Kim not Kes until sometime in spring 1997.

Enterprise is the ripoff series with episodes like:
    "Oasis" (DS9 "Shadowplay")
    "Doctor's Orders" (VOY "One")
    offhand can't remember any others at the moment besides pandering episodes like "Acquisition" (Ferengi) & "Regeneration" (Borg).

Stargate (like SGA & SG-1, though their producers/writers were ***holes) ripped off Star Trek a lot. They did a lot of stuff that wasn't anything like Star Trek (notably the Jaffa stories/storyline), but they did rip off of Star Trek in a few notable instances. "This Mortal Coil" is very reminiscent of "Course: Oblivion". I'll give them the alternate reality episodes ("There but for the Grace of God", "Point of View"?, and a Season 10 episode) as it's a stock sci-fi idea. Even before the Mirror Universe, DC made its Golden Age a parallel dimension to its Silver Age. The Season 10 ep strikes me like that Justice League ep "A Better World" (evil Justice League, not sure when the comic it was based on was from, though seems the idea came from a 1960s Marvel Avengers annual) rather than as being like the Star Trek MU.

4. starlitegirl

I don't know why I put Parallels. I was thinking All Good Things. That's one of my favorite episodes. I think I wrote it because I was watching it and if made me think of All Good Things.

5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

I don't think Voyager ripped of the other series as much as it ripped of itself.

Endgame was a shameless and inferior copy of Timeless.

Also, let's not forget how it all started in 1995...
    Second episode, Parallax: Ooh, we're stuck in a temporal anomaly that we created ourselves!
    One week later, Time and Again: Ooh, we're stuck in a temporal anomaly that we created ourselves!

That was badly timed, to say the least, and I won't apologize for the bad pun.

6. starlitegirl

I wondered if Parallax and Time an Again were deliberately done that way for viewers to understand the cause and effect principal. Or if they changed the airing order for some reason. Or just badly times.

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Plus Eye of the Needle wasn't long after those two.