Enterprise theme tune

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by RainCrystal, Nov 24, 2007.

1. RainCrystal

RainCrystal Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Theme tume of Enterprise season one. IMO it doesn't sound very Star Trek. It sounds like it should be a tune of a sickly Kevin Costner film. Does Enterprise change its music later on?

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. They add a different rythm track to the tune.

Some fans hate the song. Others don't like the song but find it somewhat appropriate for the show. Some fans love the song.

I like the song, but agree with you that its not "very Star Trek". I find this is a good thing. The show was different, being a prequal, and smartly went with a 'different' opening theme. The song is perfect for the show.

3. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've grown to appreciate it. It's entirely appropriate for the first two seasons... full of optimism, exploration and the human adventure. The problem lies during the gritty and dark third year, when it should've been dropped altogether. Imagine the MU theme tune playing just after T'Pol screams in Impulse, rather than a jaunty Faith of the Heart and it makes a big difference.

Watching In a Mirror, Darkly, I wish they had changed the title sequence more often during the series. Perhaps gradually looking and feeling more traditional with each passing season, to show Star Trek evolving. So by the time we reach the last few episodes, the Final Frontier monologue is heard again.

4. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Intriguing idea, changing the theme regularly, especially since ENT was the only one of the spinoffs to play with the theme and pre-credits teaser.

But I thought the show came full circle in terms of humanities' outlook on the universe at the end of Terra Prime. They went from naive unrealistic optimism and hope about the universe, to coming to grips with hard core reality -- and hope.

The IaMD theme would not have been appropriate for TP (the end of ENT) since the IaMD theme was dark and foreboding. TP was all about realiztion of what's out there, putting aside fears, and meeting the challenge of communing with the unknown. So ironically, "Faith", though seemingly wrong for season 3, again works well for all of season 4.

5. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Cheers. You're right, it does work for those final episodes. Although I'm by no means a fan of that later remix with the uptemo percussion and busier guitar track. The original version while very much 'middle-of-the-road', almost acoustic even, worked without seeming to try too hard.

Theme tunes and opening titles almost seem regarded as cliché by TV execs today, but it's something I always looked forward to. It's a strength and experimenting with keeping it fresh is good, just so long as they don't remove it altogether... whenever Trek returns to the airwaves. A 5 second cue card with the logo on it, leading into the episode proper seems so bland but I see it on several U.S. shows running right now.

6. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first version of the theme song, used in seasons 1-2, was tolerable. In fact, I really didn't mind it at all. However, I have serious issues with the upbeat remix they introduced in season 3. Not only does it sound like a cheesy pop song (which is completely out of place), but it goes 100% against the dark direction of season 3. Earth attacked, humanity in peril, and they do a happier theme? Ruined it for me.

7. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

I agree.

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That goes triple for me.

9. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    Make that four, I did find the first version tolerable. but the upbeat tempo just didnt seem to fit the usual dramatic endings to the teasers....just ..meh.

10. Fudge

Fudge Cadet Newbie

I thought the theme tune was rather cheesy and i'm in agreement with Vonstadt the tune to me didn't sit well with the series.