enterprise binge watching

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by soornge, Oct 8, 2016.

1. soornge

soornge Commander Red Shirt

ok so started enterprise binging: so like voyager watching need a place to discuss while im watching : current issue why the klingons on enterpise have ridges and why not on TOS? secondly thought failed first contsct with the klingons lead to a glactic war? thirdly and this is just general did the klingon empire take a hige social de evolution between TOS and TNG? anyone notice they went from solhisticated and brutal to barbaric?

2. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

The "issue" of the Klingon ridges will be clarified in S4.

There will be plenty of reasons why the Klingons and humans will eventually fight a war.

Enterprise is long before Star Trek, so....

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  3. soornge

so ... ?

4. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

Are you are saying they were sophisticated in ENT and became barbaric as time went on? I don't totally agree with that assessment if that's what you mean.

5. Yanks

I'm not saying that. I thought you were stating the opposite

6. saladdays

Sorry, I meant the OP.

Yanks likes this.
  7. soornge

no i meant in TOS they were brutal and swarmy but not like brudish barbarians they had a sophistication that they do not in enterprise or stng : i was just thinking about it while watching enterprise sorry the confusion : what i poorly said but meant was : how come i TOS they have a sophistication that disappeared from the writing of the characters : my bad

8. saladdays

I haven't really watched enough of TOS to make a firm judgment here, although I do think there are Klingons who are "sophisticated," so to speak, but they generally are ones who are not soldiers (admittedly, very few of the Klingons we actually see throughout the shows). However, I also do think some Klingons like Martok and a few others who get more screen time than the normal Klingon also show some type of sophistication.

9. JoeCabby

JoeCabby Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think there's a good in universe reason why Klingons have changed their ways.... twice. But it might make sense in Season 4 depending on how you look at it. You could say the reason for the ridges also causes the sophistication seen in TOS vs. all other Treks.

10. saladdays

I was thinking of that as well.

11. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, without throwing spoilers in this thread I guess it suffices to say that there will be an explanation given in a future episode. Whether that explanation works for you - well, you'll have to tell us when you hit it. Personally, I think it works for the benefit of ST:ENT as well as the rest of the ST universe.

KennyB and Balok's Decoy like this.
  12. FlipORican

FlipORican Ensign Newbie

There is about a 100 year gap between ENT and TOS. As we all know, due to budget constraints the Klingons in TOS looked more human. It wasn't until Gene Roddenberry got the budget for the Motion Picture that he decided to change to the look of the Klingons, which went on as their look for TNG, DS9, and VOY. Since, the generation of Star Trek fans that had grown up with TNG, DS9, and VOY identified Klingons with the ridges, that was how they were going to look in ENT. Nevertheless, ENT will give us the reason for Klingons without ridges in TOS. The funny thing is that in DS9's episode 'Trials and Tribble-ations' Bashir and O'Brien ask Worf about why Klingons in the 23rd century had no ridges and he avoided to provide an answer, and this episode aired way before ENT was in development. That being said, Season 4 of ENT is when the writers decided to tackle a lot of establishing canon to stuff we briefly heard of from the previous series, such as giving more information about the Vulcans, clarifying the lack of Klingon ridges in TOS, and some others (avoiding not to spoil too much). ENT had the responsibility to further support canon fro things we had briefly knew about or had been mentioned in TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY. It also has to look less technologically advanced compared to the other series as it was a prequel to what we already knew of the Star Trek Universe.

Lastly what is very interesting about ENT is that fact that it is the humans who are less technologically advanced compared to the Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellarites who is able to end the conflicts between them and convince them to forge an alliance, which would eventually lead to the Federation. It was Ambassador Soval who told Admiral Forest that it took the Vulcans 1000s of years to achieve what human have achieved in a short amount of time.

somebuddyX and Yanks like this.
  13. Archer Fan

Archer Fan Ensign Newbie

I'm currently binge watching season one. I just finished Fortunate Son. A pretty good episode, but I preferred Civilization. However, I think they violated the prime directive by getting into a firefight with those aliens. Small price to pay I guess to save their lives.

14. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel a bout of binge watching coming over me, soon. Season Four may not be the most dynamic, but there's much on offer. I'm craving it ...

KennyB likes this.
  15. Yanks

The best season in Trek IMO.

16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a mixed bag, for me. I hate "Cold Station" with a passion, but I love Borderland. I love the Orion stuff in it, but I kind of hate "Bound." I love "The Forge," and "Home" but don't like the other Vulcan episodes ... and even though I know its sinful, by Trekkie standards, I love me some TATV. So, there's definitely this Love/hate relationship I've got going with Season 4. My binge watching won't be all-inclusive, though ... that's for certain.

17. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

It's hard not to binge Series 3 and 4

jespah likes this.
  18. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love the binge Enterprise; just finished season 3 . . . . again for about the 10th time, lol.

KennyB likes this.
  19. Conando

Conando Ensign Red Shirt

I just started a rewatch. I intend to watch the whole show as a prequel before Discovery.

KennyB and Yanks like this.
  20. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I drifted off from Enterprise in the middle of the 2nd season and have seen maybe 3 or 4 episodes from the last 2 1/2 years (among them that unfortunate finale). Probably going back to it in the lead up to Discovery... debating where to pick it up, whether I should give season 2 some attention, or just start right in season 3 (or 4, for that matter -- I feel like I need to be wowed with the best Enterprise has to offer, then if it wins me over I can go back and fill in the earlier years)