ENT species in 24th Century novels?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by RoJoHen, Mar 6, 2015.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I recently rewatched ENT, and one thing that kept nagging at me were the alien species that played such an important role. The Andorians, the Suliban, the Xindi...races that were totally absent from 24th Century Trek.

I am about a decade behind in my TrekLit reading, but I know there was an Andorian character introduced in the DS9 Relaunch. Have any of the other novels made an effort to bring some of these ENT species into the 24th Century?

2. OverlordSpock

OverlordSpock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A Denobulan is the number two medical officer on the Enterprise-E.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Andorians are originally a TOS species, introduced (along with Tellarites) in "Journey to Babel" by D.C. Fontana in 1967. They've appeared intermittently in Trek novels and comics for decades, and were heavily featured in the post-finale DS9 novels for years before Enterprise premiered.

A Xindi-Reptilian appeared as a Federation official in the frame story of the TNG anthology The Sky's the Limit. A Suliban character was featured in my novel Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock. There have been multiple Denobulan characters in modern Trek lit, including the Enterprise-E's Dr. Tropp, mentioned above.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, yes, I'm aware of that, but ENT seemed to make a bigger effort to develop them. You'd think, for some of the founding members of the Federation, they'd have had a larger influence in later centuries.

It's always been weird to me that they basically disappeared after TOS.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Part of that had to do with Berman thinking they looked silly. And no, I'm not trying to slag Berman, this is an actual fact, which he himself is quoted on. In fact there was heavy reluctance to use them on Enterprise, to the point The Andorian Incident almost became The Gorn Incident.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Must have changed his mind at some point, as Shran was going to join the NX-01 crew (in what capacity, I have no idea; probably the leader of the MACOs) in the never-produced fifth season.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was Manny Coto's decision. And it came about after the Andorians had been making regular appearances on Enterprise for the past four seasons and were proving popular among the fans.

8. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think your memory is conflating the amount of time between the start of the post-finale DS9 novels and the premiere of ENT. Avatar, Book One was published in May 2001, and "Broken Bow" premiered on 26 September 2001.

9. Christopher

^Oh, that's right. Although "The Andorian Incident" didn't come along until a month later. Still, given novel lead times, that means the decision to incorporate Andorians into the DS9 novels was made well over a year before they showed up in ENT, so it wasn't a reaction to their appearance there.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quite true. And thankfully, nothing about ENT's depiction of the Andorians contradicted the novels' version -- except that ENT depicted them as having merely males and females, of course, which the novels simply re-interpreted as their having genders other species assumed were male and female.

11. Christopher

^Well, ENT did present a somewhat conflicting portrayal of Andor(ia) itself, in that the novel version wasn't a glaciated moon of a giant planet. But that's reconcilable if we assume Andoria was in an ice age which abated between the 22nd and 24th centuries.

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished re-reading one of the Fall novels there's a Denobulan Doctor that's a descendent of Phlox mentioned briefly in the book.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Quite clever that !

:)

14. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Dr Tropp has been around since A time to... and is a denobulan.

15. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

There was a prominent female Andorian character in the Starfleet Academy comic series in the mid 90s.

16. Christopher

Yes, Pava ek'Noor Aqabaa, who was incorporated into the Titan novels as a member of the crew, with a slight tweak to her surname to sh'Aqabaa to fit novel naming conventions.

17. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

One has to remember that a Star Trek series can only focus on 1 primary starship/starbase. It's not like any single series is obligated or guaranteed to cover every last aspect of Star Trek.

18. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Andorians were also mentioned twice on TNG,in "The Survivors" by Picard and Worf and in "The Offspring" by Data and Troi (the latter also including a holographic image of one).

19. aj1981

aj1981 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Andorians are also mentioned in the DS9 episode "Explorers". Bashir meets an old academy classmate Dr Elizabeth Lense, CMO of the USS Lexington who confused Bashir with his friend Erib at a party and went onto think Bashir was Andorian for the next few years.

20. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Andorians are mentioned pretty often on DS9. Andorian freighters and transports are referenced as docking or arriving on a number of occasions, Andorian chests and jewels are being sold or traded, people consider taking their honeymoons on Andoria, a human Starflet captain recalls her relationship with an Andorian civilian who worked for his agricultural ministry, etc.

Tellarite transports are mentioned at least once, and a Tellarite Starfleet helmsman is mentioned too. Their wedding dresses come up in conversation once, as well.

Not to mention Andor and Tellar being named as major Federation worlds in "In the Pale Moonlight", and Andor referred to in similar fashion in "In the Cards" (along with Earth, Vulcan and, interestingly, Berengaria).

Tholians, the Rigel System, Coridan, Cestus III, etc., are mentioned on DS9 too, each more than once. So the TOS races and settings were still acknowledged.