Elite Force download

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Sophie74656, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I was wondering if anyone can help. I would like to get my boyfriend a copy of Elite Force (apple computer) for christmas. Does anyone know if it is available to download anywhere?

2. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    Even if you could find it -- Elite Force was made in 2001 for PowerPC-based Macs, which were phased out in 2006 on the hardware side, and 2009 on the software side (Snow Leopard being the last OSX version to support PPC-based software).

All that said, assuming you have the right setup you'd probably need to buy it on disc from Amazon or some other vendor. I don't know of any legal ways to download them since there were no official digital downloads back in those days.

3. Sophie74656

Oh well. Thanks for the info :)

4. Shikarnov

Does your boyfriend run Windows in Boot Camp or in a virtual machine? If yes, maybe the Windows version would be good to buy.

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does anyone still play online? That was half the fun back in the early 2000s.
    Anyway, if the servers are still running, I think you would need the code that comes with the game to connect the first time. But if it's a used copy, the code was probably already used at some point, so I don't know if it would be usable any more.

Kor

6. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

You can get a copy from ebay at this time, plenty seem to be on there and they range in price from bewteen $13 and $100, if you are still looking.

7. Sophie74656

I don't really know and I don't want to ask..might give it away.

if he doesn't...is that something that is difficult to install? His birthday is next month and I might try to find a physical copy for that. The windows version is much easier to find.

8. Sophie74656

I'm thinking of that for his birthday which is next month. Thanks :)

9. Sophie74656

So I don't really know much about games and computers....if I buy a used copy of the game will the code still work or is it a one time use code?

10. Shikarnov

I guess that depends on his technical level. Boot Camp and various virtual machines -- like Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion -- are easy enough to set up for anybody reasonably comfortable with technology. But if he's the type that runs off to the Apple Store or calls friends whenever something breaks instead of puzzling through problems himself, this might be a bit beyond his ability.

Plus while Boot Camp is free, both Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion cost money. And then there's the cost of a Windows license.

---

One completely free alternative is to run WINE, which is described as a "compatibility layer." It allows some Windows programs -- Elite Force included -- work on a Mac without any of that other stuff. I know from experience, however, that WINE isn't always very reliable and can require some effort to get working smoothly. Here's a decent article on some WINE-related options.

11. Sophie74656

*scratches head*

uh.....

so maybe not a computer game LOL

12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Game code is required to install the game, so there should be no issue there, i have no idea about the game online though, it has been years since i tried this online so i have no idea even if people play it online anymore....but the single players story is cracking so no worries there.

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I *think* there are still private holomatch servers running out there.

14. Shikarnov

lol. It is a bit more complicated than usual because it's so old. Fifteen years is a long time. I'm sorry I didn't have a more helpful suggestion.

15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

of course there are, as with all games where dedicated servers are a thing, enthusiasts keep it alive

16. Sophie74656

Actually that was helpful...it's helpful to know that if I get a copy, probably spending a lot of money on it, he wouldn't be able to play lol

17. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a ps2 version in existence too, if you have that console around.

18. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

I remember not too many years ago that one of the groups that ran tournaments for the game were allowed to post the download on their website via Paramount. At least the tournament part. I have no idea whatever happened to that.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  19. ian128K

ian128K Lieutenant Red Shirt

There was a Universal Binary patch for the OS X version of Elite Force that made it runnable on Intel-based Macs. That's how I'm still able to play it. I even just now fired it up on my 2010 MacBook Pro running El Capitan, just to make sure I wasn't misremembering:

[​IMG]

Looking in the Applications folder at the .app file itself, it says it's version 1.20, so I assume it's just the 1.20 patch, available here: http://www.moddb.com/groups/star-trek-fan-club/downloads/star-trek-elite-force-patch-12-mac

And it looks like there's a few copies of the game on Amazon for a little over $20: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Voyager-Elite-Force-Mac/dp/B00004ZBR1

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Shikarnov likes this.
  20. Sophie74656

oh awesome thanks for the link :)

ian128K likes this.