Ebooks?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by MarciaCat, Jan 16, 2009.

1. MarciaCat

MarciaCat Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've been looking for Mirror Universe: Shards and Shadows and Errand of Fury Book 3: Sacrifices of War in MS Lit format. I haven't seen either title at Fictionwise. Books on Board only has Errand:3 listed in MobiPocket, Sony also has Errand: 3 (but not Shards...) but I prefer the MS Lit especially since I've got lots of Fictionwise micropay dollars just waiting to be used as soon as they're available. :techman:

I do know there is an occasional delay in ebooks being released but I just wanted to ask if they might be available soon. *fingers crossed* :)

2. MarciaCat

**BUMP**

No answer? :rolleyes: Does anyone know when "Shards & Shadows" will be released as an ebook(preferably MS Lit format) :confused: :confused: The Trek ebooks used to come out within a week of the regular book release but not recently. :(

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Sorry that no one responded; it's just that there's a thread like this at least every time a new book comes out, usually more often.

The answer is this - ebooks aren't yet a substantial enough element of book purchasing for their creation to be a priority. All of the books you mentioned are certainly going to come out as soon as they're done, but the ebook department at Simon & Schuster is not a particularly essential part of the business, from a profit standpoint. I imagine the recent layoffs haven't helped either.

Several trek novels over the past couple years have taken a long time to come out as ebooks (if I recall correctly, GTTS was almost 3 weeks late?), and Fearful Symmetry still isn't out at all.

But (well, except for FS) there's no evidence that it won't happen eventually, and either way no one knows when. So just be patient.

4. MarciaCat

Yeah, I know that it often takes more time for the ebooks; especially the ones I really want! :lol: I was just hoping for reassurance that Shards will be in ebook real soon or if I should get the trade paperback instead of waiting an unknown period of time. Errand 3 is out (at Books on Board but not at Fictionwise :scream:) in everything except MS Lit. :rolleyes:

P.S. Fearful Symmetry came out as an ebook back in August! ;) :D

5. Thrawn

It wasn't out on Kindle as recently as a couple weeks ago, but it does seem to be now.

Um. So there you go: further proof that it'll happen eventually! :lol:

6. MarciaCat

My Mom is always telling me patience is a virtue. :lol: (One I need to acquire!)

7. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

The last Star Trek eBook to be released in MS Reader format is Gods of Night.

8. MarciaCat

Actually it was Mere Mortals. I waited as long as I could and ended up purchasing Lost Souls at the Sony store. I hope Shards comes real soon!

9. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Slightly OT, where did you download your MS Lit reader? The link to Diesel-books had a a bunch of free ebooks, old enough the copyright has expired that I downloaded, but of course the MS Lit reader is needed, but the Microsoft software thingy couldn't find it... so I have a ton of free books who are closed to me! *bursts into tears*

Is MS Lit still a current ebook format?

10. MarciaCat

Yes, it still exists; it's just harder to find since their website changed. :eek:

I downloaded it a year ago. I recently noticed that I couldn't access their bookstore so after some searching I found it and the Reader download. You can find the Reader downloads here: http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/pc.aspx Good luck and happy reading! :techman:

I hope the latest Trek books show up in Lit format real soon!!

11. Marie1

Thanks!! I couldn't get over the fact Microsoft had it hidden even from their own search when I had 209 Ebooks waiting to be read!!! :o

12. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

13. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

How and where on earth did you get 209 free ebooks?

14. Marie1

15. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

16. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I absoloutley despise E-Books, they kill my eyes so badly

17. Thrawn

Have you tried a Kindle? It has a screen that's not lit; it acts just like paper. It's glorious.

18. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

have to have a look at one of those

19. MarciaCat

You obviously haven't tried any of the e-Ink devices such as Sony Reader or the Amazon Kindle. There's no more eye strain than one would get reading a book. I have the Sony Reader and I love it!

20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently not as far as Simon and Schuster is concerned; they've released their last two months of releases in Palm, Adobe, and Mobipocket, but not Microsoft Reader.