Earth will fall [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by AntonyF, May 12, 2013.

1. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

Was going to post in my thread that was having an interesting debate but seems to have been lobotomised.

So starting a whole new thread for what is a small comment, sorry.

But following on from the discussion about it being overplayed in promotional materials, I couldn't help but see the poster again today (well I do live opposite a cinema) and the title is "EARTH WILL FALL".

Did it ever fall? Did it even come close?

2. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Earth will fall

To be fair, you could say it had already fallen, or at least falling when the film started.
    Having Section 31 and Admiral Marcus get in control of business and lead Starfleet towards a war with the Klingons deliberately is a pretty low point for humanity, especially in the utopian 23rd century.

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

It never even came close to falling. The movie had absolutely nothing to do with Earth falling or even Darkness, for that matter. The whole promotion of the movie was completely misleading, I guess that's why the film itself felt like a major letdown to me.

4. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

Erm, yes it did....but you probably missed it as it wasn't signposted with 'splosions. The falling into darkness is summed up quite nicely in the above spoiler tags :)

5. Oso Blanco

What?

6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I think it was Khan's intention for Earth to fall. But he really didn't get close thanks to Kirk and the Enterprise crew.
    I think if he got control of an undamaged ship and his crew back and destroyed the Enterprise then things might have been different. Was it Cumberbatch that said 'Earth Will Fall'?

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Earth will fall because Starfleet was in the middle of a coup d'état and no one knew it. Also Kahn could of easily started a new Eugenics war if he got his crew free and started making more super humans.

8. Oso Blanco

That was not the first time a Starfleet Admiral is playing his own game. Overused theme and hardly counting as "Earth falling".

That possibility wasn't even hinted at in the movie. If he and his augments really had been about to take over Earth at the end of the movie, that would truly have led Earth "into darkness". Would have made a nice cliffhanger as well.

To put it simple: Earth has never been in danger in STID, apart from the bombing in London (which was only one building) and the Vengeance crashing into San Francisco, which strangely enough didn't seem to be a big deal in the movie.

9. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Oso,

Another poster in another thread mentioned that the film set up the idea early about the danger of a warp core radiating earth, but that it was ignored after the big end crash. Did that seem to you like something that was left foolishly dangling?

I ask because I've read the end takes place well after this sequence, so you'd figure Frisco would be glowing or the bay would be leaking down into China if there really was a major accident happening (which also show why you shouldn't build starships at the base of a gravity well, but I digress.)

10. Oso Blanco

The idea that the Vengeance could radiate San Francisco with it's warp core has never been brought up in the movie, and when the ship crashed into the city it did nothing but destroy some buildings. Which of course still means ten thousands of death victims, but the movie ignored that completely.

However, that was just one brief scene that by no means justifies a tagline such as "Earth will fall".

11. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen the movie yet, but maybe it is more metaphorical. It sounds like the Federation's and Starfleet's principles are what fell.

-Chris

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

WINNER! (accompanied by everything that happens when you get three cherries on a slot machine.)

13. Oso Blanco

nuTrek is not exactly known for its subtlety, so no ... I don't think that's it.

14. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

The Dreadnaught's crash into San Francisco was very much a controlled crash, Khan seemed to be hedging his bets.

15. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SPOILERS:
    Earth will fall because, despite there being a space battle only 200,000 Km away, Starfleet security took no action to intervene. Earth will fall because, despite having a defence grid (mentioned in ST09 but also seen in TMP) nobody bothers to activate it to stop a ship with only one life sign on board from hitting a city and killing thousands of people. Earth will fall because people that stupid deserve everything they get.

16. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Ahh but it was an Earth ship. Marcus would have been a bit stupid if he designed a ship that would get blasted by Earth Defense?

17. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Lieutenant Red Shirt

I guess a war with the Klingon Empire was moved forward quite a bit. The events in the movie make a pretty good political reason for the Klingon Empire to go to war -- humans illegally landed on homeworld and killed dozens of warriors and knocked out a few patrol vessels.

I bet the next movie is about such (Enterprise will be recalled).

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I saw, he WAS pretty stupid...

Are you suggesting that Earth defences should be incapable of scanning a crashing earth ship? That they would be unable to detect the single life form on board (don't get me wrong, personally, I think they should NOT be able to detect anybody who isn't wearing a communicator, belt monitor, or injected with a beacon but that genie got out of the bottle decades ago)? That allowing a ship to crash into a city , most likely killing citzens and everybody on board is preferable to just killing everybody on board before it hits or better yet, using surface to air shields or surface to air tractor beams?

LAME. :)

19. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I think you are in trouble if your grand strategy relies on the tactical and strategic sense of a warlord who fought wars three hundred years before you were born. Think about this - Our nation is facing an existentialist threat from an enemy. An elite intelligence recruits Frederick II of Prussia, or Duke of Wellington, to give advice on how to fight a 21st century military. These men were knowledgeable about what was available to them in their time. However, their time didn't have computers, airplanes, satellites, etc.

If this is your Hail Mary pass, I think you are already screwed and Earth is well on its way to falling. (I find it interesting that when the Federation has engaged in enemies that are on par with or greater than, that the Federation has skirted the edge of total ruination. The only time that the Federation seems to come ahead is when they fight enemies who were already weak to begin with.)

20. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I hope not, or at least ends with some kind of peace.

I also found that moon around Kronos interesting, it really did look like Praxis but it looked like it'd exploded already.