Earth as Naked Paradise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by PicardSpeedo, May 3, 2017.

1. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

In Gene Roddenberry's original treatment of Star Trek, he envisioned Earth as a nudist paradise at the seat of the Federation. When the studios nixed this idea with extreme prejudice for practicality and taste reasons, the idea was dropped. Since Discovery won't be airing on regular TV, and in fact is paygated behind a subscription service, do you think the networks might explore the possibility of reintroducing this concept?

I personally am not interested in seeing casual Ferengi dong in every Earth scene, but your mileage may vary.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Armus likes this.
  2. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The federation and Ferengi didn't "officially" meet until TNG :p

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I know I keep saying that if you ask a million Trek fans what kind of Trek show they'd like to see, you'll get a million different answers.

But sheesh... :p

WraithDukat, CRM-114, Xerxus and 10 others like this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I much prefer the contemporary version of Earth as seen in Into Darkness... not that Discovery would likely be able to afford to depict busy streets or much more than a cityscape outside a window.

Galileo7 likes this.
  7. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I just want to see future humans wear stylish clothes. And not the sorry TNZ-DS9 excuse for future fashion that was colored tights and ugly patterns.
    People in Star Trek: Beyond looked stylish, I liked that!

8. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

This is getting out-of-hand. "The Naked Now" wasn't an episode I thought worthy of premium cable remake treatment.

9. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yew start a lotta topics, pard'ner.

SPCTRE and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.
  10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This is probably simplifying things, but it wasn't a nudist paradise, people were just not obsessed with old social norms and modesty. Bald people were ok, skants were ok, breasts were ok, etc.

I generally feel humans will get to that point though will probably not take the path Gene thought it would.

Edit: I forgot to mention a lot of the more thoughtful scifi of the late 60s and early 70s had the perception that modern permissiveness would logically lead to such a world. In one case: Logan's Run, took place in a dystopia, though they were led to believe it was a utopia.

Lots of Gene's thought process was developed post-tos in this period surrounded by a lot of like-minded futurists.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    jaime likes this.
  11. MadeIndescribable

Even in this day and age there are a number of countries which don't blink an eye at public nudity (maybe a little pun intended) in the context of swimming pools, spas, etc. More than just providing modesty, clothes serve practical purposes of protection against the elements, and as a form of self expression that I don't see there ever being a reason to not wear them en masse in an everyday public situation.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

True, Gene was responding to American puritanical thought more than anything else.

jaime likes this.
  13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember watching a promotional show about Voyager when it was just starting off and one of the B's (Berman/Braga) being asked about what sort of Trek they'd like to see in the future, to which he replied "Naked Star Trek". So this (probably quite literal) fanwank idea isn't a new one.

If a character being naked is relevant to the scene then fine, but don't have it just for titillation (no more decon rubdowns, please!).

borgboy and Jedman67 like this.
  14. MadeIndescribable

Pretty sure it was Braga who talked about the (admittedly fanmade) Klingon condom in one of the Trekkies documentaries....

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Obviously, gene's vision isn't ready for prime time, but considering I just saw a perfectly acceptable hacking to pieces with gallons of blood everywhere on TV, give me peaceful naked people anytime.

16. Bry_Sinclair

It was "Inside the New Adventure: Star Trek: Voyager". Robert Picardo hosted it.

17. MadeIndescribable

Never saw that as it didn't make it across the Atlantic, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was Braga rather than Berman you were referring to. He seems to like his regular discussion topics...

jaime likes this.
  18. Bry_Sinclair

@MadeIndescribable I'm up in Shetland and I saw it (I believe it was on Sky when they started showing it over here).

19. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't watch it and it has nothing to do with puritanical ideals or religion. If there happens to be a nude scene in a show or movie I'm watching I don't go ballistic but I just happen to think people look better wearing clothes.
    But in case you are wondering, I don't like graphic violence either.

20. MadeIndescribable

Totally missed that, my apologies :s but we didn't get Sky until early 2000's. Also wasn't often my parents let me stay up that late, but I think they made an exception for Caretaker on BBC's 30th anniversary Star Trek night :p