Earl Grey is Awful!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Dr. Chandra, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Dr. Chandra

Dr. Chandra Captain Captain

The coffee service that our office uses recently left some samples of green teas, lemon teas, and Earl Grey. I jumped at the chance to try a cup, and it sux. To be fair, it is in individual bags, so I'm not sure how fresh it was, and I don't know if there are different varieties of it, but...blech! Picard can keep it. Back to my fresh ground columbian coffee!

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Bite your tounge! I'm going more for it not being made right, tea takes finess to brew properly.

Earl Grey is a sublime tea!

3. Dr. Chandra

I considered biting my tougue off to end the foul taste. Lucky, the supremely sublime arabica bean came to the rescue!

4. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, there's nothing wrong with Earl Grey. It used to be my favorite long before Captain Picard uttered the famous replicator commands. I've since moved on to green and white teas over black teas.

Mr Awe

5. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I adore Earl Grey. I discovered Early Grey and lavender the other day. It was utterly divine. I started drinking Earl Grey when TNG aired and it's been a favourite of mine for 20 years. I love the delicate, smoky flavour. :angel:

6. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

The only Earl Grey I've had is what comes in the Twinnings breakfast tea sampler fact. I like it just fine but I'm sure it'd be better if I got some fresh at a tea house. I gotta find a place to get good fresh teas around here.

7. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Try mixing in some breast milk and Winnie the Pooh honey -- works for me!! ;)

8. OmarB

OmarB Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Back in college my then gf and I used to go to the tea house near our campus in the evenings for tea and chatting her up. Needless to say, I love Earl Grey.

9. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me too, I've gone off coffee, even with the superb coffee machine in the office (its not just a simple filter y'see) and I've gone off black tea too.

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I used to love straight earl-grey, I've since took to adding sugar or honey to it; because sharp flavors, for some reason, tend to make my migraines a little worser than normal these days. Same with coffee, I have to have it sugar to take some of the bite off some of the stronger blends.

For me it wasn't TNG that got me to drinking Earl-Grey or any tea other than southern sweet tea (that I practically live on, it was my 8th grade English teacher. She was more a lit. teacher than a "grammar and mechanics" type of English teacher. She, depending on the region or era of the stories we were studying or the project we were working on, would set up a different tea-- from the region we were focused on-- for that week and serve it in class.

11. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I drink almost exclusively Earl Grey Green tea. Gorgeous!

Recently I discovered Earl White, and it's fabulous. And très healthy. =)

12. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Earl Grey is the only tea I drink really. Twinings tea isn't very good in general. Bigelow is much better if you're going for supermarket quality. I've also tried a green tea version of Earl Grey that was pretty good.

That said, I still kind of prefer coffee. Especially in the mornings. Tea is more of an afternoon thing for me.

13. Mr Awe

I love Earl Grey. I love green and white tea. But, I've found that they don't mix well. The bergamot is out of balance with the green or white tea. At least for the kinds I've tried. The tastes of those teas are so delicate that they really need to stand alone. At least for my tastes.

Mr Awe

14. Mr Awe

Same here. Coffee in the morning to get me going. Tea in the afternoon and evening! :thumbsup:

Mr Awe

15. Ohappydagger

Ohappydagger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate Earl Gray too. It's like sucking on a meadow full of happy sunshiny flowers. Screw that and give me coffee.

16. Dr. Chandra

Whew! Thought I was all alone. :)

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what the Duke of Wellington said, anyway! :lol:

I prefer Lady Grey; more citrusy.

18. Lee

Lee Commander Red Shirt

You're not alone! There's something about the bergamot that makes me shudder. Yechh.

19. Mr Awe

My Mom always said it smelled like terpentine, but I quite liked it!

Mr Awe

20. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Says the inexperienced tea drinker. :lol:

Bergamot has a wonderful aroma and its essence adds a very unique flavor to Earl Grey. It's no longer my absolute favorite variety, but it's still high on my "usual" list of teas I drink.

Coffee is great too....but there's just so much more to tea, I think.