Dwayne Johnson cast as Doc Savage

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, May 30, 2016.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Hmm..Doc Savage is muscular but he's also one of the most intelligent men in the world. Not sure Johnson can pull that off.

mos6507 likes this.
  3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Doc Savage was blue-eyed and blonde in the original incarnation, so you can expect the usual avalanche of crypto-racist white nerdrage and various exercises in casting aspersions on Johnson's intellect. But as actors of our era go he's pretty close to a perfect choice.

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  4. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

From Wikipedia:

Doc Savage's real name was Clark Savage, Jr. He was a physician, scientist, adventurer, inventor, explorer, researcher, and, as revealed in The Polar Treasure, a musician. A team of scientists assembled by his father deliberately trained his mind and body to near-superhuman abilities almost from birth, giving him great strength and endurance, a photographic memory, a mastery of the martial arts, and vast knowledge of the sciences. Doc is also a master of disguise and an excellent imitator of voices. "He rights wrongs and punishes evildoers." Dent described the hero as a mix of Sherlock Holmes' deductive abilities, Tarzan's outstanding physical abilities, Craig Kennedy's scientific education, and Abraham Lincoln's goodness. Dent described Doc Savage as manifesting "Christliness."​

Dwayne Johnson sounds like a great choice.

Doc's aides are all men though, so they'll undoubtedly change that.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Bring in his sister, Pat.

6. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I think Jason Momoa as Aquaman is more of a problem than Doc Savage, just because Doc Savage doesn't have the same iconic status. I just find it interesting the way some of these casting choices go for tradition (like Superman, who is still cut from the same cloth of Christopher Reeve) and elsewhere they're making a "statement".

7. Commander Richard

Hopefully they will.

8. Gov Kodos

What 'statement' is that? I can't see how Mamoa is any problem as Aquaman?

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't have any experience with the character, but I like Johnson and Black, so I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

10. Commander Richard

Found this...

[​IMG]

cardinal biggles and Greg Cox like this.
  11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Then there's no reason to debate it with you, because no incarnation of Aquaman looks anything like him.

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I barely know anything about the character, but I like Dwayne Johnson, and I'm sure he'll do a good job.

13. Commander Richard

Chris Hemsworth also came to mind when I saw this and sure enough, he was under consideration:

Thor actor Chris Hemsworth had previously been considered to play Doc Savage (real name Clark Savage, Jr.) for Shane Black back in 2014. Earlier this year the filmmaker broke the news to Thrillist about who his real choice for the role was.

"Doc Savage is sort of in the ether now," Black stated in March. "We’re hoping to make it sometime next year. I would very much like to do Doc with a fellow named Dwayne Johnson if we can make that work. I made a decision that Dwayne is the guy. It’s on the back burner while he’s busy."​

14. Gov Kodos

You said there was some statement in the casting. What statement is it? Why is that a problem?

15. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

This is me.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Works for me. Doc should not look like just another leading man action hero. He needs to look extraordinary, almost superhuman. Johnson fits that bill--and he doesn't actually have to be a super-genius to play a super-genius. He's played smart, resourceful guys before. Write him super-genius dialogue and he'll be fine. And I'm sure they can make him look "bronze" enough, too.

But how will the wardrobe department pay for all those torn shirts? :)

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Ovation likes this.
  17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He's been my fantasy casting for Doc for at least a decade. I'm more interested in who will play the Fabulous Five. Monk will be a tricky one.

18. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

cousin actually.

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

15209230785_be400512ff_b.jpg

Captaindemotion likes this.
  20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He has brown eyes flecked with gold. His hair is a darker shade of bronze than his skin. Sometimes artists will make his hair a reddish color. So yeah, Johnson can pull that off.

BigJake and Greg Cox like this.