DS9 looked "cheaper" than Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Trekboy1993, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Trekboy1993

Trekboy1993 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Like it had a lesser budget, especially during the space battles. Voyager CGI and models looked crisp and up to date even by today's standards but DS9 it looked kind of pixelated even later on in the series.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Cool, thanks.

Neumann likes this.
  3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope

Neumann and Satron like this.
  4. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm fairly certain both shows would have roughly the same budget, but to me I always thought DS9 looked richer as the sets were so intricate and grander in scale whilst VOY is a pretty bland look to it, but that's just me.

Agony_Boothb likes this.
  5. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

It's the starfleet aesthetic, look at the Defiant, it's boring because we've seen that set design a thousand times before. Sure the Enterprise D is more beige, Voyager more grey and silver and the Defiant more crammed but at the end of the day it's the same basic look.
    I think the Voyager sets are intricate too and look like a lot of time and effort went into designing them but it's really just more of the same.

DS9 had the advantage of creating a completely different look for the station, that really gave it its own identity.

Creating a different look is also why I think the Delta Flyer cockpit is way more interesting than the runabout's, in that case Voyager broke with tradition and created an asymetrical cockpit with real buttons, levers etc. instead of doing more of the same.

May 20 and Vger23 like this.
  6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I thought DS9 looked less 'plastic-y' than Voyager. Or TNG.

FanST and Nerys Myk like this.
  7. samuel10

samuel10 Ensign Red Shirt

voyager had a bigger budget than DS9

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Post source.

Neumann and Qonundrum like this.
  9. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

No difference I can see.

10. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Off-the-shelf models stuffed with firecrackers and glitter look pixelated?

11. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

About as crisp as my morning salad... :razz: :D

DS9 was bigger and bolder in premise and scope. Most visuals hold up given the SD nature of them, and it sounds like many of the original 3D models not only still remain available but were made with more rendered detail in mind...

And even with today's CGI, which is fantastic, there's something more tangible and less comic book-like look about model work.

VOY had a number of moments that reek "90s CGI" - which, at the time, were pretty good or great, but CGI also dates more quickly.

The sets... DS9 is far richer, with many sets built from the ground-up and they didn't skimp. They are breathtaking. VOY's interior looked bland from the get-go. Not the set redress of TNG corridor and cargo bay sets but the bridge looked fairly basic by comparison to TNG/DS9. But it is also a smaller ship and not the flagship sort the Enterprise was...

The costumes... DS9 is far, far, far richer and just as cinematic as the sets, which would really pop out on blu-ray.

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn’t the promenade the most expensive set ever in any Trek series?

FanST and DS9forever like this.
  13. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

What does SD stand for??

14. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dude, "Voyager" is my favorite, but have you watched any of the 8472 episodes recently? Their effects don't always hold up either. That said, Voyager went on a bit later than DS9, running to 2001, so their effects overall might just hold up better for the current times.

FanST likes this.
  15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What? I thought Scorpion looked absolutely gorgeous and still do. It's one of the reasons why it's my favorite episode of that series.

16. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would suppose Standard Definition, the lower -resolution predecessor to HD that was the standard for TV's in the time DS9 was made.

17. Trevellian

Trevellian Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Standard Definition (as opposed to High Definition).

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well as far as I am aware overall DSN used less CGI work than VOY. I'm not 100% ure but I think there was only 1 CGI ht of the DSN station, the very finale scene.

But when I last watched DSN on DVD the effects still held up reasoanbly well for a 18-25 year old show.

FanST likes this.
  19. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Just about all of the space battle scenes during the Dominion War through the end of the series were CGI. There's no way the VFX teams could've produced the shots they did with the time and money they had on a weekly basis using physical models.

20. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe "CALL TO ARMS" was the last time DS9 used models for ship battles.

If that is accurate, that was a hell of a sendoff for the modelmakers, because that was one of favorite battle sequences in all of STAR TREK.