DS9: Gateways: Demons of Air and Darkness Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Aug 31, 2014.

?

Rate Demons of Air and Darkness

1. Outstanding

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Above Average

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. Average

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9: Gateways - Demons of Air and Darkness by Keith R.A. DeCandido

[​IMG]

[LEFT]Blurb:
    Once they moved from world to world in a single step, through innumerable transdimensional gateways that spanned the galaxy. They were masters of space, and to those that feared them, they were demons of air and darkness. But long ago they left their empire and their miraculous technology behind. Now the key has been rediscovered, and all the doors have been flung open.

Open for exploration... or open for invasion. On a world near space station Deep Space Nine, Colonel Kira Nerys, her crew, and some unexpected allies fight to avert destruction on a planetary scale. Meanwhile Lieutenant Nog and Ensign Thirishar ch'Thane search for a way to shut down the portals forever; and behind the scenes Quark plays a dangerous game that could determine, once and for all, who wins control of the Gateways...

It has been a long time since I read this one, but I remember that I really liked it. Good continuation of the ongoing stories in the DS9 series, one of the stronger entries in the Gateways series and of course the set-up for a very, very strong short story in the seventh Gateways book.
    [/LEFT]

2. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: DS9: Gateways: Demons of Air and Darkness Review Thread (Spoilers!

I just recently read this as part of my run through of the DS9 relaunch. Although not quite on the same level as Avatar and Abyss, I thoroughly enjoyed it and rated it Above Average. I haven't read any of the other novels in the Gateways series, but didn't feel like I missed a thing. However I do recommend having What Lay Beyond ready to pickup right after you finish this, as Horn and Ivory is a direct continuation. As a whole, Demons with Horn and Ivory is an excellent story arc for Kira.

3. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a lot to like in this novel: the budding relationships between characters like Shar and Nog, and Kira and Taran'atar. Also, I loved the (re-)introduction of Gul Macet. A great addition to the DS9 relaunch! Here's my review from back in 2012.

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I've just really started into the DS9 relaunch, and finished this one as well as the short story conclusion of it, just a few weeks ago. It was a very strong addition to the DS9R, and I loved reading a KRAD book that I had never read. Voted outstanding :techman:

5. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I read it last month. It is a good story.

6. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Only let down was the cliffhanger which made you buy another book just for a short conclusion.

7. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Here we've got the German cover:
    [​IMG]

That's an enjoyable book! Gul Macet was a welcome addition to the DSN universe, and I was thrilled by the idea of a Jem'Hadar/Hirogen catfight. Nice to see familiar Delta Quadrant aliens make an appearance in TrekLit, particularly refreshing for DSN.

Kira is now one of the few characters to have been in all four quadrants of the galaxy.

Jinn likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved this one when I read the DS9R for the first time. It was the first KRAD novel I ever read. I voted outstanding.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been a while since I've read this book but I think it was here where I really started to like Taran'atar. As for the book itself, it's not as good as Avatar, but I think I liked it better than Abyss.

10. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I recently re-read this for this first time since it came out. Now, as then, I was primarily interested in it as part of the DS9 relaunch rather than as part of the crossover series. Since the first read, though, I've finished Voyager so actually knew who the Malon and the Hirogen were. And again, I'm really impressed. I'd mentioned this in another thread but this novel works well as a part of the relaunch without requiring knowledge of the other Gateways novels. Really neat trick to write a novel that is part of not one but two bigger series and still manage to have it feel it can stand alone, like the reader's not missing anything.

It was interesting to read now, too, comparing the logistics of the emergency evacuation in this novel (and the reluctance to accept help from old enemies, etc), to the details of the Romulan evacuation as laid out in The Last Best Hope and alluded to in Picard.

It doesn't have its own dedicated thread that I can find, but after reading this I checked the TNG Gateways novel, Doors into Chaos, out of the library. Was curious to see, since the DS9 did feel standalone, what I was missing in the "core" 24th-century Gateways novel. And as a DS9 fan I was excited to see that a number of DS9 characters who hadn't to date been in the relaunch showed up -- Rom, Leeta, Worf, Martok, etc. But . . . ouch. I'm about to dnf this thing because it's so poorly written. Like a copyeditor opened the book and noped write off. Just a preponderance of comma splices, non sequiturs, out-of-character dialogue, a cringe-worthy attempt at finding the humor in a legendary character joining a ship of fresh-faced recruits that leaves both sides looking bad . . . this is just painful. And we haven't even gotten to any actual "Iconians" yet. So I guess -- does this get better? Is the story worth powering through this writing before the book is due back at the library?